Three questions re: Late Air

Grey

1. If you're manifest sheet is 3 qtrs of the way down the page and you know you'll have late air what steps do you take in regards to communicating with sups about it before you leave.

2. When you have late A.M. Air do you del right away even though it's late (10:30-11:00) or whenever it's most convenient cause it's late anyway?

3. What's the furthest discipline you've seen on a driver regarding late air (either fluke occurrence or ongoing problem)?

Thanks.

PT Car Washer

1. If you're manifest sheet is 3 qtrs of the way down the page and you know you'll have late air what steps do you take in regards to communicating with sups about it before you leave.

2. When you have late A.M. Air do you del right away even though it's late (10:30-11:00) or whenever it's most convenient cause it's late anyway?

3. What's the furthest discipline you've seen on a driver regarding late air (either fluke occurrence or ongoing problem)?

Thanks.
1. Tell your sup or dispatch sup you will not be able to service this many air stops. 2. Deliver only air late or not. UPS will say the reason you had late air is because you delivered ground stops first. 3. Center Manager or dispatch sup gets chewed out for a bad plan. As long as you make an honest effort, the rest is up to your management team. I asked once about having late air because I sat through a red light or should I run the light. No answer.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Thanks.
2. This depends on what you mean by late A.M. Air. If you're referring to air that arrives to the building late ask management if it's to be delivered on trace or if you're supposed to break for it.

Grey

1. Tell your sup or dispatch sup you will not be able to service this many air stops. 2. Deliver only air late or not. UPS will say the reason you had late air is because you delivered ground stops first. 3. Center Manager or dispatch sup gets chewed out for a bad plan. As long as you make an honest effort, the rest is up to your management team. I asked once about having late air because I sat through a red light or should I run the light. No answer.

Even if the air/ground is the same house?

The reason I ask about delivering late right after 10:30 or waiting cause I've heard some run late for whatever reason then say they found it on shelf 7 or something around 2-3 o'clock. Granted that makes the preloaded look bad.

PT Car Washer

2. This depends on what you mean by late A.M. Air. If you're referring to air that arrives to the building late ask management if it's to be delivered on trace or if you're supposed to break for it.
Good catch. I did not read the sentence that way. Depending on how late you receive your air you could be instructed to either run in trace or deliver when doing pick ups. Most likely the late air has been exempted so UPS will not pay a late air penalty.

Grey

Just meant normal 10:30 commit. Sometimes on the manifest paper there's that @ symbol next to the stop that might or might not make your truck in time.

PT Car Washer

The reason I ask about delivering late right after 10:30 or waiting cause I've heard some run late for whatever reason then say they found it on shelf 7 or something around 2-3 o'clock. Granted that makes the preloaded look bad.
Are you being honest or just blaming a preloader for something he did not do? Always be honest.

PT Car Washer

Just meant normal 10:30 commit. Sometimes on the manifest paper there's that @ symbol next to the stop that might or might not make your truck in time.
That would be a forecast or logic scan. Check your EDD and count your air stops. For all you know that one air stop is misloaded on another package car. Just always be honest in your deliveries.

govols019

You smell that?

Yes....run air only. Make sure your management team is made aware of air issues before you leave the building....at that point, they can either make adjustments or have late air. Their choice.

mdnj88

They are really cracking down by us about late air. Bosses coming out at 1015 to "help" find missing air by unloading entire truck. If you say you can't find it then find it at 2pm that's getting a warning letter or suspension. If you find it and don't deliver it asap, that's all a warning letter.

UPSGUY72

They are really cracking down by us about late air. Bosses coming out at 1015 to "help" find missing air by unloading entire truck. If you say you can't find it then find it at 2pm that's getting a warning letter or suspension. If you find it and don't deliver it asap, that's all a warning letter.

Late air is late air weather it's 1 min or 6 hrs. Once it's late it gets delivered on trace.

Grey

That's pretty extreme. I didn't realize how differently some centers ran than others from a management standpoint. Guess it depends on the district.

barnyard

KTM rider
12ish years ago, a driver in my center went through progressive discipline and was fired for regular late air. After a warning letter and 2 suspensions, he was fired twice. It stuck the 2nd time.

BrownTexas

I'd file a supervisor working grievance and stop that.