Three UPS trucks damaged in fire

ChrisTheBrown

Most if not all of the hourlies in my center have a magnetic key card to enter and exit the building.
That is Syracuse, I'm guessing..I remember seeing that when I toured that facility..I actually toured that facility on 3 separate occasions, prior to finally getting hired in Rome. I think more centers should have those for their employees.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
Yes, it was from management. Was during our PCM. 1 of our guys went up to deliver his old route and I am having lunch Monday with another driver from that building.

I thought someone was fired from the last fire.

We were told to disconnect all radios that were getting power through the truck. Someone from the cities was up not long after inspecting all our trucks.

It does seem like it was longer than 3 years ago too. It was not long after the 1st fire, after our trucks were 'inspected', we were told that wiring the radios to a truck would be considered 'altering a vehicle' and the person doing it would be fired.

We did have some trucks that had the pos and neg fused terminals on the dash. I cannot remember when they were crushed, but have not seen any of those in years.

oldupsman

Yes I understand why you might want a radio in your package car, although I never did.
But hooking it up to your package car is just an accident waiting to happen. And you know
they're going to hang you by your you know what if something goes wrong.
Simple question. Is having a radio in your car worth your job?

barnyard

KTM rider
I would guess about 1/3 of our lineup have radios. All of them are portables, either Milwaukee or DeWalts. I do not like a radio in package, but HAVE to have one when I am covering feeders. I detest late night radio, particularly the same commercials over and over and over, so I listen to podcasts. I subscribe to 8 different feeds and that gives me enough to listen to during driving vacations, covering feeders, etc.

barnyard

KTM rider
Why not install 12 volt fuse protected power supply, or order all new trucks with it?

That would easily add $5 to the cost of the truck. No way that is happening.

Some of the newer ones have 12v cigarette style plug ins. I am guessing that was a manufacturing mistake.

Yes I understand why you might want a radio in your package car, although I never did.
But hooking it up to your package car is just an accident waiting to happen. And you know
they're going to hang you by your you know what if something goes wrong.
Simple question. Is having a radio in your car worth your job?

It's not the hooking it up to your package car, it's the guys who have no clue of how to do anything electrical that are the problem.

watdaflock?

check out barnyard's post #23--------"How do I know its coming from management"? Ha. That was a sure bet.
OK. Going back to your original post below, why would it be "same old management crap" if they can prove the radios are whats causing fires?

I'm not sure on exactly when the last one was (I thought it was longer than 3 years) but I do know the "radio" thing is bull :poop:. If it was a radio someone would have been fired. You don't destroy 2 or 3 UPS trucks because your radio is hooked up wrong and still keep your job. NO ONE WAS FIRED the last time. Tell who ever said that they are full of :poop:. Same old management crap.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is Syracuse, I'm guessing..I remember seeing that when I toured that facility..I actually toured that facility on 3 separate occasions, prior to finally getting hired in Rome. I think more centers should have those for their employees.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I don't work in Syracuse but have been to that facility several times. Much too big for my liking.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That would easily add $5 to the cost of the truck. No way that is happening.

Some of the newer ones have 12v cigarette style plug ins. I am guessing that was a manufacturing mistake.

That would be good for radio's, or charging cell phones, or a GPS for the split drivers.

nayrsiem

Nearly all the trucks in my building have the 12v cig style plug in. Whenever I drive a new truck and it doesn't have one I write it up as needing "cell phone charging port" and mechanic puts it in that night.

rod

Retired 22 years
OK. Going back to your original post below, why would it be "same old management crap" if they can prove the radios are whats causing fires?

That was my point. They haven't proved these fires were caused by radios. I've never said at no time ever was a fire in a UPS truck caused by an illegally hooked up radio. I was stating that in these two cases at this center management was spreading lies (so far--nothing has been proved on the second fire that I know of). The first fire was NOT caused by a radio hook up.

oldngray

nowhere special
That was my point. They haven't proved these fires were caused by radios. I've never said at no time ever was a fire in a UPS truck caused by an illegally hooked up radio. I was stating that in these two cases at this center management was spreading lies (so far--nothing has been proved on the second fire that I know of). The first fire was NOT caused by a radio hook up.

Every electrical fire I know of was not caused by radio hook ups. Just shorts in the usual bad wiring.

Returntosender

The wire loom gets old falls apart. Electrical wire coat starts to touch frame of car, car vibration causes the coat to slowly strip away. .
Every electrical fire I know of was not caused by radio hook ups. Just shorts in the usual bad wiring.
The wire looms get old, exposes the wires to the frame of the car.