Three UPS trucks damaged in fire

rod

Retired 22 years
Nearly all the trucks in my building have the 12v cig style plug in. Whenever I drive a new truck and it doesn't have one I write it up as needing "cell phone charging port" and mechanic puts it in that night.

I'm missing something here. If they allow you to plug in cell phones and GPS's why can't you plug in a radio? I ran an "illegal radio' for at least 25 years and having access to a 12 volt cig. lighter plug in would have made things so much simpler. I wonder how much UPS paid me over the years to make an extra stop twice a day to hook up and unhook my radio?

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Have it that NO driver can have a radio that hasn't been given the once over by a mechanic. Fused wiring is mandatory. Only shop installed power cords on PC's allowed.

Problem solved.

nayrsiem

I'm missing something here. If they allow you to plug in cell phones and GPS's why can't you plug in a radio? I ran an "illegal radio' for at least 25 years and having access to a 12 volt cig. lighter plug in would have made things so much simpler. I wonder how much UPS paid me over the years to make an extra stop twice a day to hook up and unhook my radio?
We have lots of drivers with radios. Management has no problem with it in my building. We just plug them into the cig lighter. I personally just use my cell as a radio.

rod

Retired 22 years
I talked with a friend who works out of the Brainerd center today. He said the building has been vacated while they do extensive clean up (he said it should be bulldozed and re-built). In the mean time operations have been moved to a big field where they drug in some kind of portable centers. It sounds like they use manual rollers and all the trucks are parked outside. They have lucked out so far in that the temps have been in the 20's and 30's but below zero weather is in the forcast for later this week. Brainerd has probably a dozen large empty buildings that are heated that UPS could have moved into temporarily but it must have been a buck cheaper to keep everything out in the cold. Go figure. They are being hush hush about what caused the fire.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just heard today that it was announced at that center that the fire/explosion was caused by something "mechanical"----not an illegal radio hookup. What this mechanical problem was hasn't been released --yet. More to come if I hear of anything.

oldngray

nowhere special
I just heard today that it was announced at that center that the fire/explosion was caused by something "mechanical"----not an illegal radio hookup. What this mechanical problem was hasn't been released --yet. More to come if I hear of anything.

It would be funny if it was telematics or one of the other gadgets UPS insisted on installing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I find it amusing that coldworld does not work in my center yet disagreed with my post.
I don't think anyone cares if I disagreed with you so why would you state that..I disagreed because I don't think hourly employees should have access to the building in general...unless mgt is there...btw out of all the posters on here you are the one that clicks that disagree button more than anyone else so get a grip!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think anyone cares if I disagreed with you so why would you state that..I disagreed because I don't think hourly employees should have access to the building in general...unless mgt is there...btw out of all the posters on here you are the one that clicks that disagree button more than anyone else so get a grip!!

Our building also has an alarm do we cannot come and go as we please.