Three UPS trucks damaged in fire

rod

Retired 22 years
update:

I heard tonight from a person who seemed to be in the know that it had something to do with the key fob/pushbutton starting thing. They said apparently it shorted out and the truck was trying to start itself while in gear and with the emergency brake on. The starter relay engaged and apparently heated up enough to catch the truck on fire. This info is second or third hand so take it for what its worth.

Bottom rung

Wouldn't be surprised. Heard a story from the fnn that a pc in a hub started over the weekend and drove into a wall. This was in December.

PT Car Washer

update:

I heard tonight from a person who seemed to be in the know that it had something to do with the key fob/pushbutton starting thing. They said apparently it shorted out and the truck was trying to start itself while in gear and with the emergency brake on. The starter relay engaged and apparently heated up enough to catch the truck on fire. This info is second or third hand so take it for what its worth.
We had an old diesel 5 speed 700 driven on gravel its entire life retrofitted to the keyless starter. We used it as an Air car and hit a bump and the truck would just shut down. Not even the key would start it. Reach under the dash and play with the wires around the push button starter you could get it running. It was scrapped later. Or at least I assumed it was.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I heard tonight from a person who seemed to be in the know that it had something to do with the key fob/pushbutton starting thing.
I think you may be right. I heard our center manager tonight saying there is a discussion going on in the district about speeding up retirement of some of the older diesels. Specifically mentioned ones that are old enough that they were retrofitted. Apparently we are going to be all automatic possibly by peak. Which I don't really buy, considering half our center's fleet is manual.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
update:

Plausible.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Time to call in Mythbusters?
th (2).jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
Retrofitting keyless to old manual transmission vehicles is a stupid idea except to someone sitting in an office out of touch with the real world.