TieGuy's 10,000th post post party

nhguy

Tie keep up the good work. As I've said before, if you don't have two sides to a disucussion, then what you have is propaganda!

Remember the big fish always eats the little ones

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Wow.

Is there a typo an your joined BC date?

May 2000 B.C not May 2000 A.D.?:peaceful:

This is the press release I would write for Tie:

His confidence and surety, the sense of strength and ability that emanates from Tie, coupled with a wry sense of humor, a very sharp intellect and understanding of human nature, and an endlessly generous nature leaves the audience in wide eyed in awe.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow.

Is there a typo an your joined BC date?

May 2000 B.C not May 2000 A.D.?:peaceful:

This is the press release I would write for Tie:

His confidence and surety, the sense of strength and ability that emanates from Tie, coupled with a wry sense of humor, a very sharp intellect and understanding of human nature, and an endlessly generous nature leaves the audience in wide eyed in awe.

Nice tie but dont forget the man behind it

browniehound

I have talked to Tie on the phone. He is the same in real life as he is here.

Bet nobody knows that Tie started at UPS back in 1939. I asked why he is still working, to which he replied he is too young to retire.

It also explains why some times the ole guy gets confused in his posts. :wink2:

But Ive said enough.

d

Danny, and Tie is that 1939 date a typo? Even if Tie started at UPS as young as 17 it would make him 87 years old with a more likely scenario to be in his 90's? I don't know too many people in their 90's as on the ball as Tieguy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Brownie

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No, no typo. :wink2:

Tie has been around.

He served as a "body guard" for Jim Casey for a couple of years.

He delivered out of one of the last model T's in service as a driver. 27 stops, 70 some miles. Has his first paycheck stub, $13.08 for a 60+ hour week. Those were the days......

Tie, you need to tell them the story like you did me. Put yer teeth in adn let her rip.

Honest folks, he is a riot.

Best

d:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
No, no typo. :wink2:

Tie has been around.

yepper that job was the best. Everyone loved Jim. Jim really needed very little protection. Jim didn't seem too interested in the female groupies that threw theirselves at him. Thats where I came in. :happy-very:

He delivered out of one of the last model T's in service as a driver. 27 stops, 70 some miles. Has his first paycheck stub, $13.08 for a 60+ hour week. Those were the days......

Yep. After a while Jim realized he did not need a bodyguard. Offered me a job delivering out of a package car when it really was a car. Back then we delivered anything and everything. Telegrams, messages and even one guys mother in law.

You'd start off the morning with your 25 stops. you were expected to park your car in a strategic location within a mile of multiple stops and then run them off to save fuel and wear and tear on the model T. We calculated the time allowance and figured we had to run that mile in a little under three minutes to make the time. Some things never change.

Back then you wore two diad pouches on your belt. One held your stone tablet diad board. The other held the hammer and chisel the customer signed your board with.

A breakdown on road was unheard of in them days due to a built in back up system that kept the model T going. If your car broke down you simply removed the floor board panel and started pedaling to your next stop.

we were the guys that developed the sex object reputation that brown men are known for. we figured out that a fifth "pocket" strategically sewn on our wool slacks seemed to increase the number of message request amongst the housewives. while those wool slacks were hot as heck in the summer they did do a nice job of protecting our bottoms from the constant pinching attention we seemed to recieve. :happy-very:

d:happy-very:

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

yepper that job was the best. Everyone loved Jim. Jim really needed very little protection. Jim didn't seem too interested in the female groupies that threw theirselves at him. Thats where I came in. :happy-very:

Say WHAT? :happy-very::surprised::happy-very::surprised:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A breakdown on road was unheard of in them days due to a built in back up system that kept the model T going.
Yeah, it was called borrow the farmers horse to pull it, the farmers daughter to steer while you jumped and delivered. The forerunner of what we call the helper team.......

I actually got to push around ole #512. No bigger that it is, they are still pretty heavy.

Of all the people that I have gotten to meet, Casey was the one I would have really gotten a kick out of spending a day with. I heard he was something.

d

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Tie,

Congrats on your 10,000th post and beyond..This forum would not be the same without you.

Over the years you've presented your opinion with passion and conviction (while sometimes needing to be yanked back into reality). You've many times been one against many in your desire to get your point across and deserve the recognition for your contributions here.

Post on!:peaceful:

Tony

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

Congrats on your 10,000th post and beyond..This forum would not be the same without you.

Over the years you've presented your opinion with passion and conviction (while sometimes needing to be yanked back into reality). You've many times been one against many in your desire to get your point across and deserve the recognition for your contributions here.

Post on!:peaceful:

Tony

Danny,

My mind ain't working like it used to back in 39. Did he just say good job not gettin fired?

tieguy

Banned
EH?
Tie soon learned that Jim wanted more than a bodyguard,and was demoted to driver when Jim realized he was not qualified or interested enough to fill the opening.

eh? Got to leave something to talk about in the sequel.:happy-very:

W

want to retire

I find it quite telling that tie guy chose to denegrate(hourly) and otherwise bitch about bitching! What tieguy and alot of mangement miss(or ignore) are working conditions. If hourly is such then management is tenfold. What do they teach you in your orientation class? You all seem to be the same.....same mo. TONEDEAF So tie guy....how long did it take you to turn in your skirt for a tie?
too late. Having a little fun with the topic since it was missed. As one of the few outspoken management posters on what has turned into a very anti management, anti company site I expected it would be missed.

If I had to reflect on my tenure here I think I was posting here before the great software crash of 99. It was a much friendlier place back then. Now a review of the ups discussion threads tends to be a listing of one bitch session after another. Many pro union threads where the posters plot on how they can use the contract to screw the company or their boss.

When I started with ups we worked hard and we played hard. Bitching took a back seat. Now it appears we must be teaching people how to bitch in their orientation classes or they bring the skill with them. there are still a few like minded old schoolers here who know what I'm talking about and so I stay because I still enjoy interacting with them.

The rest of you should ask the company to allow you to wear skirts as part of your uniform.

tieguy

Banned
I find it quite telling that tie guy chose to denegrate(hourly) and otherwise bitch about bitching! What tieguy and alot of mangement miss(or ignore) are working conditions. If hourly is such then management is tenfold. What do they teach you in your orientation class? You all seem to be the same.....same mo. TONEDEAF So tie guy....how long did it take you to turn in your skirt for a tie?

I delivered to poor houses and learned to appreciate what it was I had.

I delivered to many different locations where others worked as hard or near as hard as I did for a lot less money.

I came from parents that knew what it was to live poor and to miss a meal.

What I learned came from a higher plane of learning then some orientation class.

You my friend are blinded by your hatred for things you can not control. But yet you think going to work and whining like a little girl will somehow make things better.

You my friend have to decide if you want to join an exclusive club of those who approach life with a positive attitude or whether you want to continue wallowing in your self induced dispair.

This thread is in some ways an evaluation of my time here and my philosophies in general. I thank you for your input.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I hate to add to what tie said, but maybe this might help.

Having been a foster parent, I have seen people living in absolute filth. Being a UPS driver also brought me in contact with people that live that way. Trash from last year still on the porch. Come to think about it, for a lot longer than that. Not poor mind you. Seen lots of people very poor that live in a clean home. Not one I would want to live in but clean.

It is funny how people will sit there and bitch about their lot in life. So much so that some times, well meaning people will try to help out.

Remember one of our first foster kids. They lived in a shack with electricity, and running water. Clothes that smelled of urine and alcohol lined each room. Several beds were also there, none with sheets, only blankets. The pots and pans had not been cleaned in a week or so, even though there was evidence that meals had been cooked over what was cooked before. There was 6 or more inches of debris on the kitchen floor. You get my drift.

Well, since the dad was "disabled" (enough to work maybe but not to produce his own grandchildren) there was a group that got involved. The people did own about 4 acres, so about 100 feet away from the shack, they built them a new home, three bedrooms, a bath, kitchen and den. Complete with oil furnace.

Winter time came, they ran out of oil. So instead of using his disability checks, they moved back into the shack, and tore down the house as fire wood to burn in the wood stove in the shack. Sold all the stuff that wouldn't burn. All that remains is the block foundation. True story.

UPS is kinda like that family. You can wallow in the bad stuff that happens, and as long as you do, you will be the most miserable person there. No matter how much UPS pays, no matter how many days they let you have off, 8 hour days, etc etc, you will still find you are unhappy.

Its a mindset. Unless you pull yourself out of the self pity rut, nothing will change. I speak from experience. I had the same problem for several years.

Unless you change you, you will never be able to change anything around you for the better. All you will do is end up an old bitter person that has nothing good to say about anything.

So first, work on attitude. Then work to change your lot in life. Unless you push to get things changed, nothing will change. Why should someone else waste their time on getting things changed for you, when you are like that family, you prefer to do nothing to help yourself.

One man can make a difference at UPS, Two can make an impact, more will make a revolution. Get involved, change those things you can, deal with and accept those you cant.

d

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
You my friend have to decide if you want to join an exclusive club of those who approach life with a positive attitude or whether you want to continue wallowing in your self induced dispair.

One man can make a difference at UPS, Two can make an impact, more will make a revolution. Get involved, change those things you can, deal with and accept those you cant.

d

Powerful.

tieguy

Banned
Nothing reinforces my belief in the limitations of management without employee input more then reading some of the posts here that dwarf my efforts.

Danny has walked the talk not only in taking care of disadvantaged children throughout life but also in not letting a personal disability slow him down.

Nice post as always Danny.