Tier 3 accident...

UPSGUY72

Today i was involved in a t3 accident while making a u-turn at a green light. The vehicle that struck me went right under the passenger side of my vehicle. Im unsure of what my status of employment is at the moment as this is still developing. I nor the other driver were ticketed, i have worked with the company for close to 8 years, with...3 days back into cover driving...i was told by my Union rep that i cannot be dq'd without a rep present, i can still work preload. But who can really live off of $100 a week. Any info is helpful. Thanks.

Sorry about your situation however we as UPS drivers get paid to make good decision. You didn't make a good decision and or clear the intersection when you decided to make a u-turn most likely to say a little time. Your going to tell me that other drivers and yourself do it all the time that doesn't make it right and isn't a excuse that will hold up.

If you where a FT cover Driver that made there 30 days you would not be in this situation. Since your not your SOL. Your Union rep is wrong they can take you out of service whether a union rep is there or not and that what they have done to you. Since your in the union you have the right to file a grievance to lesson or reverse be taken out of service.

Is the union rep you speak of your BA or steward. In your situation you should be talking to your BA.

UPSGUY72

It might not be you fault.

His fault or not he made a bad decision. He apparently wasn't making a u-turn on a left arrow just a green light during which he failed to clear the intersection or tried to beat the other car.

Someone is at fault most likely the OP for not yielding to on coming traffic.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Its not uncommon to have a tier 3 accident and then based on if they like you or not have you back in the drivers seat right away. The next time you go out a supervisor will ride along with you for a "safety" ride for that day and you will be back at it after that. Now if your supervisor has been looking to get rid of you and you have been a thorn in their side. Well, it looks like the door is wide open for them to do that...

One thing is in your favor if you can call it that; and that is that we are in peak and they need all hands on deck and especially knowledgeable drivers. Good Luck and I hope it works out.
I've had the company try to postpone a 1 or 2 day suspension for drivers until after peak. The suspensions were kind of warranted. Discharges reduced to suspensions.

Told the company now or never. The suspensions were reduced to "working" suspensions. The company could not afford to lose them for a day or 2 this time of year.

The only problem I see with your description is that, even though you were not cited, you make it sound like the other car was already traveling East through a green light and you made a legal U-turn right into the path of the oncoming car. It sounds like he had the right of way and you expected him to stop even though he had the green light. UPS may push this fact if they do not want you to continue driving.

If my assumption of your description is wrong, please correct me. But even if this is the case, this is the best time of the year to have an accident.

Could you imagine UPS telling Amazon that we could not deliver all your packages before Christmas because we fired a driver for an accident in which he was not charged by the police. We just didn't like him.

UPSGUY72

I've had the company try to postpone a 1 or 2 day suspension for drivers until after peak. The suspensions were kind of warranted. Discharges reduced to suspensions.

Told the company now or never. The suspensions were reduced to "working" suspensions. The company could not afford to lose them for a day or 2 this time of year.

The only problem I see with your description is that, even though you were not cited, you make it sound like the other car was already traveling East through a green light and you made a legal U-turn right into the path of the oncoming car. It sounds like he had the right of way and you expected him to stop even though he had the green light. UPS may push this fact if they do not want you to continue driving.

If my assumption of your description is wrong, please correct me. But even if this is the case, this is the best time of the year to have an accident.

Could you imagine UPS telling Amazon that we could not deliver all your packages before Christmas because we fired a driver for an accident in which he was not charged by the police. We just didn't like him.

Give me a break you can't even believe that would ever happen. If there where going to be service failures to that point it wouldn't be because one PT driver got DQ'd during peak.

The OP is a PT cover driver he is expendable to the company as a driver no matter what time of year it is. Also there isn't a better time of year to have a Tier III accident or and accident in general. The facts are that the OP had a TIER III accident and a very serious one at that. If the OP was a FT driver be it Cover or one with there own route things would have been different but the OP isn't he is a PTimer that covers when needed to and is not guaranteed any hours as a driver.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Give me a break you can't even believe that would ever happen. If there where going to be service failures to that point it wouldn't be because one PT driver got DQ'd during peak.

The OP is a PT cover driver he is expendable to the company as a driver no matter what time of year it is. Also there isn't a better time of year to have a Tier III accident or and accident in general. The facts are that the OP had a TIER III accident and a very serious one at that. If the OP was a FT driver be it Cover or one with there own route things would have been different but the OP isn't he is a PTimer that covers when needed to and is not guaranteed any hours as a driver.
I agree there is no good time to have an accident. But if one does happen, better now than in February wben the drivers are plentiful.

I'm just trying to plant a seed here to help the cover driver. It could start here on BC, but the word could get out that UPS fires drivers for accidents when they were not even charged. UPS does not need that kind of negative publicity, especially after last year.

And this is only 1 driver that posted here. How many more are there in the whole country. I know they are expendable and a few drivers won't make a difference.

But Amazon does not know that.

wayfair

swollen member
heard a guy was dq'd because while at the door of a delivery, an 87 year old man backed his truck into the brown.... improperly parked was the reason.... the lexus had back up sensors and the street is over 2 and half lanes....

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
heard a guy was dq'd because while at the door of a delivery, an 87 year old man backed his truck into the brown.... improperly parked was the reason.... the lexus had back up sensors and the street is over 2 and half lanes....
You tell non UPS people that and similar stories and they don't believe you. Granted, we should have high standards but to fire a driver for accident that they were not at fault is a travesty.

boxrunner

At no point in my posts did i condone my faults, i made a mistake, and fes up to it. I have put my time in with the company, i have been thrown on random routes and fully ran them with 0 complaints, i have been used and abused like all the rest, and still take it. Any decent human being whether driving a personal vehicle or for brown should have the decency to pay attention to traffic. I certainly wouldnt risk my personal vehicle in order to prove a point. :censored2: happens, i get it. Im 30 yrs old and have a clean driving record, accidents happen. Apparently UPS should rename "accidents" to "automatic driver faults." Happy :censored2:ing holidays. Drive safe.

oldngray

nowhere special
How long have you worked at UPS again? It doesn't matter if the other driver made a mistake or even broke the law, UPS will still almost always charge the driver with an accident. A Russian satellite falls from the sky and hits your package car? Be Prepared - Expect The Unexpected.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I agree there is no good time to have an accident. But if one does happen, better now than in February wben the drivers are plentiful.

I'm just trying to plant a seed here to help the cover driver. It could start here on BC, but the word could get out that UPS fires drivers for accidents when they were not even charged. UPS does not need that kind of negative publicity, especially after last year.

And this is only 1 driver that posted here. How many more are there in the whole country. I know they are expendable and a few drivers won't make a difference.

But Amazon does not know that.

First of all - We don't care what "outsiders" think about how we handle crashes at UPS. Look at You Tube documented video's of UPSers doing sheet we tell them not too do all the time. Did it change anything? No.. Boxrunner was involved in a Tier 3 crash, the center will be charged $45K regardless what happened, he will be DQ'd no matter how bad he is needed. Period end of subject. He will report back to preload.

Boxrunner - after 8 years at UPS I believe you know how it works and how it will be when you work for UPS full time in any capacity. Go finish your degree, do not wait around for a job with us, your life will pass you by and before you know it you will be making the statement " I should have....". There are other opportunities believe me. One last thing, glad you were not hurt as well as the other person.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
First of all - We don't care what "outsiders" think about how we handle crashes at UPS. Look at You Tube documented video's of UPSers doing sheet we tell them not too do all the time. Did it change anything? No.. Boxrunner was involved in a Tier 3 crash, the center will be charged $45K regardless what happened, he will be DQ'd no matter how bad he is needed. Period end of subject. He will report back to preload.

Boxrunner - after 8 years at UPS I believe you know how it works and how it will be when you work for UPS full time in any capacity. Go finish your degree, do not wait around for a job with us, your life will pass you by and before you know it you will be making the statement " I should have....". There are other opportunities believe me. One last thing, glad you were not hurt as well as the other person.
If you didn't care what outsiders thought, we would not be working tomorrow. This whole spiel is just a publicity ploy for the "outsiders."

You are making it look to the "outsiders" that everything will be fine this peak. "Look, we are working Friday after Thanksgiving. We fixed the problem."

So you do care what outsiders think.

And by the way, if you were really management, you would know that the cost of a tier 3 accident is $40K, not $45K. That wasn't a typo, that was lack of knowledge.

And it is not like the center has to send corporate a check. It goes on the centers books, and corporate pays the centers bills. So who cares if they charge them $100K. It is just a number on a piece of paper. And this is all UPS cares about anymore. A number on a piece of paper. It's pretty sad. Jim Casey would be rolling over in his grave.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you didn't care what outsiders thought, we would not be working tomorrow. This whole spiel is just a publicity ploy for the "outsiders."

You are making it look to the "outsiders" that everything will be fine this peak. "Look, we are working Friday after Thanksgiving. We fixed the problem."

So you do care what outsiders think.

And by the way, if you were really management, you would know that the cost of a tier 3 accident is $40K, not $45K. That wasn't a typo, that was lack of knowledge.

And it is not like the center has to send corporate a check. It goes on the centers books, and corporate pays the centers bills. So who cares if they charge them $100K. It is just a number on a piece of paper. And this is all UPS cares about anymore. A number on a piece of paper. It's pretty sad. Jim Casey would be rolling over in his grave.

The numbers matter to UPS because they self insure and one department gets charged and pays another department. It's all a numbers game. And since each center is run like it's own little company with profit and loss, a tier 3 cuts into that profit and that center's management bonuses.