Time allowance bump

AptGrinder

Just won my first route after 6 years covering. It is 90% apartments and though I know that signatures increase your time allowance I have to kill myself to get down to scratch on this route. I need to know if there's anything that I can do to give myself a few extra seconds per stop... such as using the "Fl" field to indicate that I'm climbing 3 floors or something?!?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You are killing yourself, for what reason? To scratch?

You are already on the wrong side of the hill, trying to find extra credit in a job that doesn't require it. In fact, it is the quickest way to lose your job.

kingOFchester

I need to know if there's anything that I can do to give myself a few extra seconds per stop...?

Don't get in your truck until your start time. Searching for packages will give you extra time at stops and transit time.

Don't pretrip or do any AM procedures until after your start time. This will give you extra AM time.

Follow ALL methods preached by management. This will give you extra time at stops.

Back only when necessary. This will give you extra time driving around the block.

Doing all of the above will probably cause you to having to break off to make pickups or commits. Giving you extra time.

Unfortunately, this will not help with this so called "overallowed issue".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just won my first route after 6 years covering. It is 90% apartments and though I know that signatures increase your time allowance I have to kill myself to get down to scratch on this route. I need to know if there's anything that I can do to give myself a few extra seconds per stop... such as using the "Fl" field to indicate that I'm climbing 3 floors or something?!?

You need to spend less time worrying about time allowances and more time focusing on the methods, which includes the proper use of driver release.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They make the numbers so we don't worry about them. They are free to change them at any time they please. Just worry about doing the job for the long haul. Yes, you will get some management harassment from time to time, but if you follow the methods, even some sups will admit numbers are messed up on some routes.

Time has a way of going fast. Before you know it, you will find yourself bidding on another route. Good luck!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Worry more about service and taking care of your customers. The numbers will come but having good customer rapport is priceless. I know with my route it's more like visiting friends.

Rico

When I was a driver my route was the UNH campus. 90% of my day was University deliveries and pickups - a typical day was 400-500 pieces, 90 stops, and 12 pickups that usually averaged about 100-150 pieces. about a year after I won the bid on the route I had a time study, and picked up about 6/10 of an hour. Which my center manager promptly labeled a 'BS' and and said was over-gererous. So don't worry too much about their numbers.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

If you are concerned with running scratch while doing 90% apartments, then you should refocus yourself to working for less than 10 years before you blow out your knees and back.

DO THE JOB with the methods and IGNORE the calls to "break standard".

The company could care less if you can walk 10 years from now. They will just replace you with another young superman willing to run off apartments until they wipe out his legs with numbers you will never reach.

Here's a tip. IF your supervisor insists on you running scratch, ask him to run the route one day with you as a passenger. When he can run the route and "scratch" the numbers, then you will DUPLICATE his every move and do the same.

If he cant, then guess what?

YOU dont either.

TOS.

Johney

If you are concerned with running scratch while doing 90% apartments, then you should refocus yourself to working for less than 10 years before you blow out your knees and back.

DO THE JOB with the methods and IGNORE the calls to "break standard".

The company could care less if you can walk 10 years from now. They will just replace you with another young superman willing to run off apartments until they wipe out his legs with numbers you will never reach.

Here's a tip. IF your supervisor insists on you running scratch, ask him to run the route one day with you as a passenger. When he can run the route and "scratch" the numbers, then you will DUPLICATE his every move and do the same.

If he cant, then guess what?

YOU dont either.

TOS.
Have you every looked at a supervisor's name on the OP's report after they had to cover a rte? I have. They run scratch every time. No under, no over exactly scratch.

oldngray

nowhere special
Have you every looked at a supervisor's name on the OP's report after they had to cover a rte? I have. They run scratch every time. No under, no over exactly scratch.

A sup will just enter a code when they run a route and it will be scratch regardless of what the real numbers would otherwise show.

Rainman

Its all good.

Practice the methods 100%, all the methods. Take care of your body, you will be here a long time. Do everything you can to eliminate wasted time at stops, in the back of the car, everywhere possible you can think of. Talk to the drivers who regularly are scratch or under. Some of them come in early, skip lunch, ect. Others practice their methods so efficiently that they are able to do things that other people can't/don't do. Those are the people you I late. But it will take discipline, so if you're not willing to do that then give up now. All depends on what it's worth to you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

For the life of me i can't figure out why people go out and kill themselves on a route. I get the whole i have a family or i have kids. UPS is the worst job to have when it comes to family time. It is what it is. You killing yourself will only allow them to put more work on you when you show them you can get done with what you have. I'm not saying you need to slack off, just work steady and safely. Killing yourself will get you hurt, or in an accident. Why can people not grasp this.