Time allowances

Johney

when i was a relief driver i did what NXA said. i went on sundays to learn the CPU route i was gonna be on the following week. even though i was already a driver and the company could not fire me for being too slow , i did it for our customers and out of personal pride.

You've never mentioned a word about driving package car....
CPU is Center/Customer Pick up I believe? It's feeder pick ups.

ManInBrown

If you can't scratch with the truck sorted during lunch not sure what to say. If I sorted my truck at lunch which I don't do i could probably be 150 clicks under every day. If every stop is lined up after lunch and you still can't scratch, the job probably isn't for you. BOL

Savvy412

Always have a sharpie in your pocket.. Try to never look at a box of twice . Sharpie the pal big on the top . Esp for irregs and anything on the floor

Don't ring doorbells or knock
cut in people's yards

brown bomber

brown bomber
any time that you lose in the AM,...loading your own car, or late loads, or late air is time that will never be made up. UPS knows that and it should not impact your qualification.

Savvy412

I haven't been driving long and don't give a friend about my "time allowance" I'm not a "rebel without a cause" union guy ... I just dont look or even know my numbers actually lol. Have no idea what scratch is on my route . From time to time they will send a message saying my eta is "on par with when I should be back ". I duno. Maybe I'm running scratch or under so they don't mess with me ?

Keenj

If you have multiple stops in walking distance like a city block, pack your dolly with the packages for that block and knock them all out at once.

Don't waste time digging for a package you can't find, especially if your preloader is terrible at their job like mine was. Just deliver what you have and pre rec those stops if a signature is required. If you find it later in the day and can easily/quickly make it back, add it to your pre recd packages, deliver and stop complete.

Deliver bulk stops ASAP if possible. Give yourself some room to work and sort as needed.

Don't be chatty with customers, they'll want to talk your ear off if you let them.

Don't scan packages in the car or at the customers, scan them on the move if possible especially at resis.

Take 15 minutes to sort your shelves once you have some space to work with. This is usually when I punched out on break/lunch.

Drive your route on your off time. Memorize addresses and landmarks to help you get around. Do a few drives when it's dark as well.

Ask the drivers who used to do that route for pointers on the fastest/most efficient way they run the route. Orion had mine all stupid and was 6 miles longer than the way my predecessors ran it.

Have a few delivery notices pre made for the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you can't scratch with the truck sorted during lunch not sure what to say. If I sorted my truck at lunch which I don't do i could probably be 150 clicks under every day. If every stop is lined up after lunch and you still can't scratch, the job probably isn't for you. BOL

I average an hour under every day and don't touch a package during my meal break.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
any time that you lose in the AM,...loading your own car, or late loads, or late air is time that will never be made up. UPS knows that and it should not impact your qualification.
You should code out any time in the AM when you're loading P60. I don't want to take the hit for it either. Nail the preload for being late.

MendozaJ

Set up in the morning. Try to deliver ground with NDAs, time permitting. Don't skip lunch, it doesn't apply to your time allowance. Complete stop, enter lunch hour for that minute. Eat, relax, then take a few minutes to sort. Be at next stop when your lunch is up. I was literally in front of doors waiting to scan when the hour was up. If no sig required, knock, drop, release. Customers should see the back of your head.

Johney

You should code out any time in the AM when you're loading P60. I don't want to take the hit for it either. Nail the preload for being late.
That is very bad advice! Do not code anything out without getting approval from your supervisor not one from the internet. I have seen more than few guys reprimanded for unauthorized coding of a.m. time.

ManInBrown

Set up in the morning. Try to deliver ground with NDAs, time permitting. Don't skip lunch, it doesn't apply to your time allowance. Complete stop, enter lunch hour for that minute. Eat, relax, then take a few minutes to sort. Be at next stop when your lunch is up. I was literally in front of doors waiting to scan when the hour was up. If no sig required, knock, drop, release. Customers should see the back of your head.

DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT WORK ONE SECOND FOR FREE

DOK

That is very bad advice! Do not code anything out without getting approval from your supervisor not one from the internet. I have seen more than few guys reprimanded for unauthorized coding of a.m. time.
Well if his qualification depends on him running scratch the time needs to be coded out. For us veterans I don't even bother. He should atleast keep a journal of each day's events that happen that are out of the ordinary that take away time from him. Come the end of the 30 days you can't say "well there was a few times this in the second week when the preload wasn't wrapped" etc. If he has things documented with exact times and load conditions etc it looks much more professional.

Oh yeah, and work through your lunch.

ManInBrown

Exactly. If I'm in the building for 40 minutes after the PCM, because my truck isn't loaded I couldn't care less. There numbers not mine. NEVER EVER code any AM time without being directed to do so.

Johney

Well if his qualification depends on him running scratch the time needs to be coded out. For us veterans I don't even bother. He should atleast keep a journal of each day's events that happen that are out of the ordinary that take away time from him. Come the end of the 30 days you can't say "well there was a few times this in the second week when the preload wasn't wrapped" etc. If he has things documented with exact times and load conditions etc it looks much more professional.

Oh yeah, and work through your lunch.
Look I'm not saying it shouldn't be coded out,it should that isn't his decision to make at least it isn't in our building.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I average an hour under every day and don't touch a package during my meal break.
He's not qualifying in the BOG. He's probably qualifying in a center that has more than 30 drivers.

It's a whole different game when you're in a big center with heavy urban density.

And seriously we get it. You're the awesome driver. So awesome you sign and forge your customers signatures so you can run "under". Your methods are sloppy and you pick and choose what to follow as it benefits you and yourself.

Tell us again how you were keeping your eyes ahead of you as you got hit by the car crossing a street again?

If we all followed your methods Dave and came in an hour early and sorted our car stop for stop OFF the clock for free, we'd all be under too.

Come back when you can do the job 100% by the methods. And even then you'll never be under because their numbers are junk.