Time allowances

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I searched this forum a lot during my 30 days, trying to wrap my mind around the time allowances. When a driver is trying to qualify, it doesn't help to tell him or her not to worry about the numbers. The one piece of advice I've never found on this forum for people trying to qualify (that would have helped me) is how to DR properly. I finally figured out that was what was killing my time. Drivers doing the same route forever don't really have to think about DRing, but when you're new to driving or new to an area you don't have the feel for it. Some areas may be perfectly safe to just drop and go, some may require some extra work to properly DR. My advice is to decide where you're going to DR before you turn off the package car. Then, if you have to hide the package away from the front door area, head straight to the front door, knock/ring then fill out the info notice stating where the package will be. If someone comes to the door before you finish, hand them the package and get going, you just saved some time. If not, post the note, hide the package and get going. This will save time in the long run, and should cut down on DFU's.
As for coding AM time, if you are doing preload work, it should be coded as preload time. If you are told not to, they are telling you to falsify your time card. That being said, if you are still qualifying, your being hired is completely at the discretion of the center manager. If he or she tells you not to code preload time, you should probably not code it. Once you're hired, the numbers don't matter to you, so you have to decide what is worth being hassled over, not coding the time, or being over allowed. If you want to have a decent relationship with your supervisor, and don't want to fight over every little thing, it behooves you to make your supervisors job as easy as you can. A rational supervisor will return the favor.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I searched this forum a lot during my 30 days, trying to wrap my mind around the time allowances. When a driver is trying to qualify, it doesn't help to tell him or her not to worry about the numbers. The one piece of advice I've never found on this forum for people trying to qualify (that would have helped me) is how to DR properly. I finally figured out that was what was killing my time. Drivers doing the same route forever don't really have to think about DRing, but when you're new to driving or new to an area you don't have the feel for it. Some areas may be perfectly safe to just drop and go, some may require some extra work to properly DR. My advice is to decide where you're going to DR before you turn off the package car. Then, if you have to hide the package away from the front door area, head straight to the front door, knock/ring then fill out the info notice stating where the package will be. If someone comes to the door before you finish, hand them the package and get going, you just saved some time. If not, post the note, hide the package and get going. This will save time in the long run, and should cut down on DFU's.
As for coding AM time, if you are doing preload work, it should be coded as preload time. If you are told not to, they are telling you to falsify your time card. That being said, if you are still qualifying, your being hired is completely at the discretion of the center manager. If he or she tells you not to code preload time, you should probably not code it. Once you're hired, the numbers don't matter to you, so you have to decide what is worth being hassled over, not coding the time, or being over allowed. If you want to have a decent relationship with your supervisor, and don't want to fight over every little thing, it behooves you to make your supervisors job as easy as you can. A rational supervisor will return the favor.
You are overthinking this...ups is a corporation that will lie, cheat and steal to get what they want and the allowance system is a big part of it. There are routes that have "lost" 2 hours in the last few years...drivers who are over by 2 hours but are working just as fast ... The numbers are an absolute scam...try to do the best you can and don't get hurt because you don't want to be like some of these folks who continue to get injured because your body will at some point not be able to do this type of work ever again

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you were able to see fedex express "production numbers" and compare them to ups' I would guess there would be a big difference between the two...and why would that be we both are doing the same kind of job...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Coldworld: Not saying you're wrong, but in the context of qualifying, it helps to understand the game so that you can play it well enough to get hired. This sort of rhetoric isn't really helpful for someone looking for practical advice on how to get through their 30 days successfully.
Once you get hired you can choose to deal with the numbers however you please. I'm still a cut/cover driver. I know some routes, and even different days on the same route, are impossible to scratch without "cheating". And I agree that you just need to go out there, do your best, and be safe. Everything else will take care of itself.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.jpeg
image.jpeg