Time card shaving

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Maybe you should go find that CA lawyer that won the lawsuit for drivers working on lunch break.You cant say that didnt get their attn.Thats all we hear every day--dont forget to key in lunch break.Man,I was just watching the weather and the temperature in Atlanta just jumped up 20 degrees!!!!!!!

LKLND3380

As everybody else has said, you aren't going to get paid before your start time.

You should not be working prior to your start time
1. Because you aren't going to get paid but more importantly
2. When and I say when because it generally happens at some point, when you get hurt, you need to be clocked in to collect Workman's Comp.

If you are working off the clock, not only is UPS liable, but they likely aren't going to pay a penny for your Workman's Comp injury.

Working off the clock runs into a Federal Labor issue...

Foster vs.FedEx turned into a class action suit and they won $30 million in California alone...

https://web.archive.org/web/20080517232030/http://www.fedexwatch.com/resources/all

The lawsuit alleged the workers were still under the control of FedEx at all times while on the premises and the work done between the dual punch-in/punch-out procedures was done "off the clock."

LKLND3380

I guess you guys can call it stupid, but I have been raised with hi standards. I have been working for 15yrs and have always been at least ten minutes early for every job whether I'm paid or not. Never have been late and never have called in...NEVER! The idiots to me are the ones that have been there longer than me and they are always behind. My third week and only 2 misloads. Also, its not because I have a smaller load than others. I've had 3 sups come to me and apologize for throwing me right into 3 package cars without any help. I take pride in my job and in myself for my hi standards.

3 package cars and no help... LOL:happy-very: We have people start on 3 and 4 package cars... We have people start on three cars during PEAK and work 5 to 6 hours.... This is slow right now, our start time is 4:45 when it should be around 4:10 or 4:00...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I guess you guys can call it stupid, but I have been raised with hi standards. I have been working for 15yrs and have always been at least ten minutes early for every job whether I'm paid or not. Never have been late and never have called in...NEVER! The idiots to me are the ones that have been there longer than me and they are always behind. My third week and only 2 misloads. Also, its not because I have a smaller load than others. I've had 3 sups come to me and apologize for throwing me right into 3 package cars without any help. I take pride in my job and in myself for my hi standards.

I show up 20 minutes early every day, 5:40pm. I don't touch a package, move anything, etc until 6:00pm nor do any of the co-workers in our area. Coming into work early gives (at least for me) that feeling of being at work and adjusted to the environment instead of hurrying in and throw into the mix.

However, I do not agree with anyone doing work for free. You may not be stupid, infact possibly the opposite, but it is a stupid move. Bottom line. Choose your own path, though. :whiteflag:

chester farmer

If I were you, and knew of a supv that did this, (let me be clear, proof positive that they did this) I'd contact the corp compliance number. NO EXCUSE for this behavior.
If it was just a feeling, I'd check and double check to make sure what had occurred. .
As I sit in the TWI office I hear them talking everyday. New guys are on staggers but dont know it because there trainer didnt tell them. Everyday they clock in at regular time and comment on the fact that there paid from time is off. But they are told write down your correct time and it will be changed. some times it is some times it is not. Just last week we went over our hours. The shift manager was looking over the computer at the hours paid for employees for each day and noticed a very hard working new guy had not staggered because no one had told him to. He went back after the kid had worked and changed his times because he should have known. Just plain wrong. How do I prove that. You have a shift manager telling a full time sup to go back thru and change a kid to stagger after the fact.

BigBrownSanta

I start work when I clock in. But the belt starts at the exact same time. The unloader in the truck starts earlier so it is assured there are packages at exactly 5:15.

My complaint is that there is setup time required of at least 5 minutes. My charts that I have to get are on the other side of the building. I have to tape them to the car doors. Packages are already moving by. I'm the sorter at the start of the line.

Basically, I'm pressured to work for free about an half hour each week. If I don't do that setup time I'm behind for a long time trying to catch up.

The decision to work off the clock is entirely yours. Don't let the hard headed union thugs sway your dedication. The company needs more motivated and dedicated employees like you.

Right now, the company is hurting financially and, to be honest, everyone should be looking for ways to help keep us in business. If everyone showed true dedication to UPS and worked off the clock for a minimum of 10 minutes a day, then the company would be more than willing to give better raises when contract negotiating time comes around.

You should be happy that you have a great paying job with outstanding benefits when other companies are cutting back and laying off workers.

Come on people, brown up and donate a little charitable free time to the United Way Parcel Service. Your future depends on it.

LOL.

sx2700

Banned
The decision to work off the clock is entirely yours. Don't let the hard headed union thugs sway your dedication. The company needs more motivated and dedicated employees like you.

Right now, the company is hurting financially and, to be honest, everyone should be looking for ways to help keep us in business. If everyone showed true dedication to UPS and worked off the clock for a minimum of 10 minutes a day, then the company would be more than willing to give better raises when contract negotiating time comes around.

You should be happy that you have a great paying job with outstanding benefits when other companies are cutting back and laying off workers.

Come on people, brown up and donate a little charitable free time to the United Way Parcel Service. Your future depends on it.

LOL.

Good point....I'm not even going to punch in at all any more. The pride of working at UPS alone is more than enough compensation for me.

over9five

Staff member
He went back after the kid had worked and changed his times because he should have known. Just plain wrong. How do I prove that. You have a shift manager telling a full time sup to go back thru and change a kid to stagger after the fact.

You saw this and didn't call him on it??? He has stolen money from the employee. You need to call the ethics hotline NOW, and report what you saw. It's not up to you to prove anything, but it IS up to you to be a responsible employee and report this theft.
Don't think about it. Do the right thing and make that call.

chester farmer

sorry perhaps they purposely kept me in the dark but what is the ethics hotline. Is it the same as the theft hotline or different. Give me the number I would call them right now. Unfortunately the only guy I knew to go to is on vaca. I have not nor intend to sweep it under the rug. Proving it would not be hard since it happens on such regularity. How ever my real intention is not to just get some dude his time back. They need to change the way they think. I get one guys time back another will still get jipped. Give me the number and I will call it. I have no problem with that.

beentheredonethat

You saw this and didn't call him on it??? He has stolen money from the employee. You need to call the ethics hotline NOW, and report what you saw. It's not up to you to prove anything, but it IS up to you to be a responsible employee and report this theft.
Don't think about it. Do the right thing and make that call.

Chester, I agree with over95. If I was the FT supv, at that point, I would have told the mgr No, he worked those hours. But I will tell him about a staggered start to prevent reoccurrence and taken my lumps from him. As a PT supv I would have done the same thing. (I'll admit it's tougher to say that to a Mgr when you are a PT supv).

If you found out he did it anyways after t/w the mgr, I would proceed and call the District ERM. Failing that I'd call the hotline.

It's not always easy to do the right thing, but it sure makes it easier to sleep at night.

ups_vette

If management hoaxed every employee , 5 minutes a day for 420,000 teamsters, that over 2 million minutes. 34,000 hours a day towards their time bonuses and cost savings.

This is an interesting theory. If this were true, then the opposit would also be true. If every employee hoaxed management, 5 minutes a day for 420,000 teamsters, that over 2 million minutes. 34,000 hours a day in wages UPS is paying that were not earned.

beentheredonethat

sorry perhaps they purposely kept me in the dark but what is the ethics hotline. Is it the same as the theft hotline or different. Give me the number I would call them right now.

If you go to inside.ups.com and then go to the site guide for business conduct it gives you the information. In that guide the number is 1-800-220-4126. One last thing, I would make sure I'm 100% positive before calling. If you are 100% confident, great call. If you aren't verify, get backup data, then call.

over9five

Staff member
If you go to inside.ups.com and then go to the site guide for business conduct it gives you the information. In that guide the number is 1-800-220-4126. One last thing, I would make sure I'm 100% positive before calling. If you are 100% confident, great call. If you aren't verify, get backup data, then call.

Just tell them what you saw, what you believe happened. They're not just going to fire the guy, they'll do an investigation.

It's just if it IS true, we want this guy gone. We don't need theives working at UPS.

chester farmer

Heres the deal. I am 100 % positive it is happening on a regular basis. I see part of the problem though is the guys. Some dont write down there time. Others have lost there time card. when I was an hourly I one time was asked to run recycles after I had clocked out. My pt-sup would add the time. The next day she told me she tried to do it and was not allowed by the full time sup . I see both points but if I were full time it would be very important for me to have my part time sups follow thru with what they said. In that case perhaps a hey dont tell him you will add time find someone who hasnt clocked out. but then give the person credit. Its all one big game. My desk has the closest timeclock to the front door. I can hardly work at it because of all the late people clocking in then walking to there work area via the restroom and actually not starting until 15minutes later. I want my times to be accurate. SO I do what I have stated before. Although not justifable I could see how a Manager might think the answer is to steal minutes back because thats easier then fixing people. However it is illegal immoral and not right. So I will make the call but unless they are going to clear out management whats to do. An investigators best bet would be to come in and act like a dopey employee who is not paying attention but works hard. Then double check the hours.

rod

Retired 22 years
when I was an hourly I one time was asked to run recycles after I had clocked out. My pt-sup would add the time. The next day she told me she tried to do it and was not allowed by the full time sup . .

At that moment I would of got my regular work done and sat down and picked my nose until the timeclock had run off the time I was screwed out of. Did you grieve this? I was always one that hated petty grieviances but one was called for this time

drewed

Shankman
chester farmer;386875when I was an hourly I one time was asked to run recycles after I had clocked out. My pt-sup would add the time. The next day she told me she tried to do it and was not allowed by the full time sup [/quote said:
Yea I wouldnt even asked to do it, i would have added your time, if my ft had an issue it was on me then

In NSO: they try to teach you to never say no, never make promises you cant keep, but you also cant use terms like ill look into it and ill see what i can do bc those are death terms in peoples minds. and apparently this sup didnt pay attention very well (not saying NSO is the greatest thing in the world it has some good basic parts)