Time Clock

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our center we don't use cell phone coverage for our ODS and DIAD downloads--we actually have our own radio frequency. I believe it is a low FM frequency and, from what I have been told, the only expense was the initial set up costs. Perhaps DIAD Dude can expand on this.

pretzel_man

In our center we don't use cell phone coverage for our ODS and DIAD downloads--we actually have our own radio frequency. I believe it is a low FM frequency and, from what I have been told, the only expense was the initial set up costs. Perhaps DIAD Dude can expand on this.

I think someone in your center is mistaken....

If you center checks their cost statements, they actually get a cell bill each month for DIAD / ODS communications.

I think they may be thinking that while in the building, DIAD communicates wireless via Wi-Fi. Once away from the building its cell.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I do know for a fact that we have our own radio frequency for ODS and DIAD downloads. I have seen the certification statement showing the frequency, which is a low FM frequency. Our messages both send and receive much, much faster than they used to and our rural drivers get their messages much faster than they used to. I can send and receive 3-4 messages within 2-3 minutes, provided the OMS is at her computer, which was unheard of back in the cell phone days.

I know what you are referring to as far as Wi-Fi in the bldg. This is different. This is on the road communication between the bldg and our DIADs and I know that we use radio frequency, not cell. I know this because they used to bitch about how much each message costs--they don't say a word anymore. My SLIC is 1290. Feel free to check it our for yourself.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I do know for a fact that we have our own radio frequency for ODS and DIAD downloads. I have seen the certification statement showing the frequency, which is a low FM frequency. Our messages both send and receive much, much faster than they used to and our rural drivers get their messages much faster than they used to. I can send and receive 3-4 messages within 2-3 minutes, provided the OMS is at her computer, which was unheard of back in the cell phone days.

I know what you are referring to as far as Wi-Fi in the bldg. This is different. This is on the road communication between the bldg and our DIADs and I know that we use radio frequency, not cell. I know this because they used to bitch about how much each message costs--they don't say a word anymore. My SLIC is 1290. Feel free to check it our for yourself.
How is everything in Plattsburgh?? Is Roger playing nice with others??

pretzel_man

Upstate:

I know that you are not being argumentative. I'm not either.

My understanding is that we have two flavors of DIAD's for communicating.

One uses GPRS. The other uses CDMA. Maybe DIAD Dude can clarify, but I didn't think there was a third (except for very few that use bluetooth to talk with a cell phone.).

I'll wait and see what he says...

P-Man

DiadDude

Upstate:

I know that you are not being argumentative. I'm not either.

My understanding is that we have two flavors of DIAD's for communicating.

One uses GPRS. The other uses CDMA. Maybe DIAD Dude can clarify, but I didn't think there was a third (except for very few that use bluetooth to talk with a cell phone.).

I'll wait and see what he says...

P-Man

To the best of my knowledge, P-Man is dead on. UPS uses 802.11 Wi-Fi communications in the center (dispatch, upload, Get EDD) and uses the two wireless technologies mentioned above for onroad communication (Text, OCA, tracking info, ODS-E). These two technologies are standard wireless phone fair, but technically are not "Cellular" like the DVA and early DIAD3s. The costs are lower than previous times due in part to software improvements, wireless infrastructure expansions, and contract negotiations with the carriers.

As far as I know, there are no other wireless technologies in play. Even the few DIADs which use Bluetooth in the states are still using CDMA or GPRS phones for their onroad communication.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-Man/Diad Dude, I stand corrected. I spoke to our night sort manager, who used to be on of our on-cars and who is a friend, and he said that we used to be on a radio frequency but that we have gone back to cell coverage for our ODS and DIADs.