Time for Martin Luther King Holiday, next Contract?

bumped

Black friday dont matter to me. I work to make as much money as possible, always business 1st homeboy. Not phased by it at all really, just another day, difference is your making mad bank that day lol. The more money i make, the more money i save and the house gets paid off faster is how i look at it. Might as well work as much as you can when your younger to set yourself up for retirement and no debt when you retire.

I volunteer to work it also, but I know others like the extra day to go hunting or away with family. It just sucks that there is no option.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We gave up sick days and optional holidays a long time ago for what now is considered our "option week" which can be used as a vacation week. Which I'm fine with. There are way 2 many bs holidays in America. And I've rarely been sick enough I couldn't come 2 work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We gave up sick days and optional holidays a long time ago for what now is considered our "option week" which can be used as a vacation week. Which I'm fine with. There are way 2 many bs holidays in America. And I've rarely been sick enough I couldn't come 2 work.
We can still use 5 of our option days as an option week if we choose to.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We can still use 5 of our option days as an option week if we choose to.
That we can. I am being told we can also break up up to 2 weeks of regular vacation weeks into optional days if we so choose. I find it way to easy to not come in and say ill use an optional day today. Especially when it's winter and -5 degrees out with a foot of snow. If I took them up on that . It would be wasted quickly.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That we can. I am being told we can also break up up to 2 weeks of regular vacation weeks into optional days if we so choose. I find it way to easy to not come in and say ill use an optional day today. Especially when it's winter and -5 degrees out with a foot of snow. If I took them up on that . It would be wasted quickly.
I don't think we can break up vacation weeks in my local....I wouldn't mind having the option.

UPSGUY72

Once you lose a perk you rarely if ever have it replaced.

Black Friday is gone. UPS will continue to pay us holiday pay and the hourly rate in our supplements to work that day for the duration of this contract. The new contract will have one less holiday and language closing out that week for selection.

There are many more changes coming our way, to include Saturday ground delivery.

Wrong the day after thanksgiving will always be a Holiday at UPS even though we may have to work it. They will Just have to pay us Holiday Pay along with hourly rate for working a Holiday. Just like they do for Veterans Day and Columbus Day.

There is little benefit to Deliver Saturday Ground year round as most companies we pick up from don't work on Sat or Sunday so Monday would be extremely light. The only reason they might do it during peak is if volume picks up to the point that they have to sit on trailers. The post office is expanding Sun delivery during Peak to more major cites but will cut back the areas they do it in after x-mass.

My building is made up of 2 center that run 50 plus routes each on a normal non peak day. If they deliver ground on Sat they would have to cut more than half the routes if not more in each center on Monday and then figure out how to cover all the pickups and deal with the people requesting there 8 hrs.

UPSGUY72

We can break up 1 week into optional days or combine sick and optional days or all 5 sick days into another week of vacation.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Id rather have the 2 extra weeks of vacation bidding out the 5 sick days n 5 optional days as extra 2 weeks of vacation n 9 days off in a row. The older you get your body really appreciates them 9 days off in a row to recharge for another 8 weeks or so to get another 9 days to recharge. The way I figure id rather steal a day off here n there unpaid than burn a day n save up for a week off when you really need it. All bout strategy on this job.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Teh Day after Thanksgiving USED to be a regular work day. The first year I started we worked it and thought nothing of it. I DO remember the first year we got it as a paid holiday and it was like Manna from Heaven

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They made the announcement on Friday. They're now forcing mandatory 12 hr shifts for full-time inside employees until the end of peak.
Although we can't do jack about it now, I would say 3 personal days for every holiday they take because that would be the equivalent to what we are losing.
can't do that here in NE. FT employees can make a 10 hr. request at the beginning of each shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong the day after thanksgiving will always be a Holiday at UPS even though we may have to work it. They will Just have to pay us Holiday Pay along with hourly rate for working a Holiday. Just like they do for Veterans Day and Columbus Day.

As I said above, UPS will have to honor the contract and pay us holiday pay and whatever hourly rate is in our supplement for the duration of this contract. The 2015 calendar does not list that day as a holiday. The 2018 contract will do the same.

We will see ground delivery using drivers on an alternate work schedule.

oldngray

nowhere special
I doubt it will cost UPS much more to run a full operation vs the messed up partial way of recent years. Many of the fixed costs are the same even when UPS ran fewer routes. The big difference is how heavy the dispatch is and how much they pay in OT. And I agree that UPS will never reveal the true costs to the public.

UPSGUY72

I doubt it will cost UPS much more to run a full operation vs the messed up partial way of recent years. Many of the fixed costs are the same even when UPS ran fewer routes. The big difference is how heavy the dispatch is and how much they pay in OT. And I agree that UPS will never reveal the true costs to the public.

Not really the day after Thanksgiving has always been an hours worked day unless you requested 8 hours. The preload is made up of 10 or less people in my building instead of 60 plus people and the local sort is maybe 1 or 2 instead of 40 plus.

Working black Friday is only going to make Monday a disaster with all the send agains that don't show up in your EDD because they where left on your car instead of unloaded and sent back to the local box to be re-scanned on Monday morning.

I would also like to see the number of accidents the happen and what type they are.

M

MenInBrown

I understand Friday is time 1/2, but what about over 8 hours? Is that time1/2 on our time1/2?