Time for something different? Johnson- Weld

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Cqa4sZGUAAArCvr.jpg
The math on that is terrible, but I agree with the sentiment. Really hope Johnson gets in the debates.

rickyb

not for global logistics companies .
who knows. i mean yea maybe you will have more outsourced goods which need to be shipped to america because of it. and on the other side it will certainly lower american wages and therefore demand for these goods.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
You can only quote my post if you've watch the vid...

You didn't have time to do so. I'm not voting for you because you're a fraud and a little (maybe a lot) crooked.

Fenris

TPP is not about free trade, and it will mean less jobs just like NAFTA did.

NAFTA did not mean less jobs. General automation, other technological advances and the continued growth of onerous governmental regulations have retarded manufacturing job growth more than NAFTA. Most economists argue that while the manufacturing sector is impacted by loosening trade restrictions, the overall impact to the economy is positive.

As with moving out of the middle ages, or in any era of technical advancement, technology growth will impact what the labor force looks like and, if we want to be successful as an economic engine in this country (or in Canada), we need to learn to adapt to the opportunities that technologies bring. Yearning for the past doesn't help.

newfie

who knows. i mean yea maybe you will have more outsourced goods which need to be shipped to america because of it. and on the other side it will certainly lower american wages and therefore demand for these goods.

the problem with open borders is the higher wage countries lose jobs while the lower gain. In that sense you should be happy for the lower wage who benefit.

The logistic companies like ups benefit from the movement of goods. your theory is somewhat flawed in that the jobs are not lost globally but moved from one area to another.

that has been happening in the US for years. companies move form high wage markets to lower wage markets.
the demand is never decreased it moves where it is viewed as being cheap.

rickyb

NAFTA did not mean less jobs. General automation, other technological advances and the continued growth of onerous governmental regulations have retarded manufacturing job growth more than NAFTA. Most economists argue that while the manufacturing sector is impacted by loosening trade restrictions, the overall impact to the economy is positive.

As with moving out of the middle ages, or in any era of technical advancement, technology growth will impact what the labor force looks like and, if we want to be successful as an economic engine in this country (or in Canada), we need to learn to adapt to the opportunities that technologies bring. Yearning for the past doesn't help.
public citizen is a great source if you want to learn about NAFTA. youtube the lori wallach videos of public citizen

NAFTA at 20: One Million Lost U.S. Jobs, Higher Income
Inequality, Doubled Agriculture
Trade Deficit With Mexico and
Canada,
Displacement and Instability in Mexico, and Corporate
Attacks on Environmental Laws

Last edited:

rickyb

the problem with open borders is the higher wage countries lose jobs while the lower gain. In that sense you should be happy for the lower wage who benefit.

The logistic companies like ups benefit from the movement of goods. your theory is somewhat flawed in that the jobs are not lost globally but moved from one area to another.

that has been happening in the US for years. companies move form high wage markets to lower wage markets.
the demand is never decreased it moves where it is viewed as being cheap.
well honestly i dont know enough about this to comment confidently. i know NAFTA is awful for the american economy as a whole. not sure specifically for the workers of UPS. if i had to guess, id say passing TPP will increase downward pressure on wages for UPS workers.

the corporations are saving money by outsourcing american jobs, and they are making more profits. theres not equilibrium in the sense that 1 lost american jobs @ $30/hr means 1 new china job at $30/hr. so if the american worker is losing more wages than the china worker is gaining, there should be less demand in the economy.

and regarding automation, there are less and less jobs in the world.

newfie

public citizen is a great source if you want to learn about NAFTA.

Canada,

I've seen the estimates of job loss. I just think we discount what it did for the service sectors that move the good from one country to another.

rickyb

I've seen the estimates of job loss. I just think we discount what it did for the service sectors that move the good from one country to another.
i think free trade is quite immoral because you are buying goods from countries with capitalist wage slavery like china or bangladesh or whatever.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Though Favored Among Military, Johnson Excluded from Veterans’ Forum

It is clear veterans want a third option, and that they tend to support a non-interventionist, pro-liberty candidate above all else. In a poll of active duty military and veterans, Johnson leads the pack by over 6 points. The governor finished at 36.7%, while Trump received 30.7% and Clinton only 15.1%. This poll is backed by also examining military donations from the 2012 election. Ron Paul, the only anti-war candidate, received more donations from active duty than President Obama and all of his Republican competitors combined.

New poll shows that the military favors Gary Johnson over Clinton and Trump

Fenris

public citizen is a great source if you want to learn about NAFTA. youtube the lori wallach videos of public citizen

Canada,

Perhaps you should expand your information base beyond the the obviously far leftist people you continue to quote and get different perspectives so you can get the bigger picture. As with any economic change, there are winners and losers. What is the net overall result? No one claims there isn't an impact to trade deficits and manufacturing jobs but how much were they hurt versus other gains to the economy and how much is actually attributable to NAFTA versus other societal and technological changes? Would those same things have happened but with the imbalance flowing to China instead if NAFTA wasn't passed?

rickyb

Perhaps you should expand your information base beyond the the obviously far leftist people you continue to quote and get different perspectives so you can get the bigger picture. As with any economic change, there are winners and losers. What is the net overall result? No one claims there isn't an impact to trade deficits and manufacturing jobs but how much were they hurt versus other gains to the economy and how much is actually attributable to NAFTA versus other societal and technological changes? Would those same things have happened but with the imbalance flowing to China instead if NAFTA wasn't passed?
the problem when you listen to a variety of perspectives is that some of them just outright lie. i only listen to opinions from people who were referenced to one another in some way. check out richard wolff, michael hudson, steve keen, robert reich, etc etc if you want some more opinions on NAFTA. some right leaning guys would be gerald celente, paul craig roberts, max keiser. im not gonna waste my time im pretty sure its garbage and a big corporate power grab.

btw did you watch any lori wallach videos on NAFTA

im with trump that the trade deals are garbage for your country. chris hedges calls NAFTA the biggest betrayal to the working class in 50 years.

Last edited:

BrownArmy

the problem when you listen to a variety of perspectives is that some of them just outright lie. i only listen to opinions from people who were referenced to one another in some way. check out richard wolff, michael hudson, steve keen, robert reich, etc etc if you want some more opinions on NAFTA. some right leaning guys would be gerald celente, paul craig roberts, max keiser. im not gonna waste my time im pretty sure its garbage and a big corporate power grab.

btw did you watch any lori wallach videos on NAFTA

im with trump that the trade deals are garbage for your country. chris hedges calls NAFTA the biggest betrayal to the working class in 50 years.

Consider the possibility that you might be in an echo-chamber of your own making, in which case you will always be validated.

The way to fix NAFTA is through the TPP.

Yes, it's a sht-show, but here we are.

rickyb

Consider the possibility that you might be in an echo-chamber of your own making, in which case you will always be validated.

The way to fix NAFTA is through the TPP.

Yes, it's a sht-show, but here we are.
well...the way i figure out what to believe is through references and through just basic things like: is college unaffordable OR should we take more vacation just something simple and if i agree with that it turns more into a faith thing with the complex issues.

I think TPP will make things worse. but anyways ive never heard that idea before.

isn`t there left and right agreement on these bad trade deals.