Time For Teamsters

over9five

Staff member
the political races are already completely tied up... if obama or romney decides to lift the RLA status from fedex it will be a complete fluke or an accident and not some kind of conscious policy. neither of the parties care, especially the democratic party which has been taking union money for decades and then telling labor to go **** itself

Lol, why can't everyone see that? The Democrats only difference from the Republicans is that they smile into Unions faces while they twist the knife in our backs.

purplesky

Lol, why can't everyone see that? The Democrats only difference from the Republicans is that they smile into Unions faces while they twist the knife in our backs.

You are so wrong. Go ask the unions in Ohio and Detroit about how Obama has helped them. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THOUSANDS OF GOOD PAYING JOBS AMERICA NEEDS.

The only reason the Republicans(ROBME) wanted to let the auto industry fail WAS TO DESTROY THE UNIONS. The DEMOCRATS STEPPED UP AND HELP SAVE THE AUTO INDUSTRY WHICH IS NOW KICKING ASS!

Ofcourse the REPUBLICANS WANTED TO SAVE THE BANKS ON WALLSTREET AND KEEP THOSE HUGE WALLSTREET BONUSES FOR THE CROOKS.

Now you can say that Obama and Biden have not done enough to help unions and working people. You can also say that THE REPUBLICANS HAVE A GOAL AND THAT IS TO DESTROY ALL THE UNIONS AND GIVE CORPORATE CAPITOLISM TOTAL CONTROL.

vantexan

You are so wrong. Go ask the unions in Ohio and Detroit about how Obama has helped them. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THOUSANDS OF GOOD PAYING JOBS AMERICA NEEDS.

The only reason the Republicans(ROBME) wanted to let the auto industry fail WAS TO DESTROY THE UNIONS. The DEMOCRATS STEPPED UP AND HELP SAVE THE AUTO INDUSTRY WHICH IS NOW KICKING ASS!

Ofcourse the REPUBLICANS WANTED TO SAVE THE BANKS ON WALLSTREET AND KEEP THOSE HUGE WALLSTREET BONUSES FOR THE CROOKS.

Now you can say that Obama and Biden have not done enough to help unions and working people. You can also say that THE REPUBLICANS HAVE A GOAL AND THAT IS TO DESTROY ALL THE UNIONS AND GIVE CORPORATE CAPITOLISM TOTAL CONTROL.

70% of GM's current sales are federal gov't fleet sales. In other words Obama is propping them up to keep from looking bad. If the economy tanks again they're in big trouble. When the gov't gets out of the way and let's GM build cars people want instead of the Volt then they might make a go of it.

TUT

Have you compared prices? FedEx Ground is much cheaper than UPS.

This is not true. UPS is very competitive and can definitely come in cheaper than Fedex Ground job to job. That was the little quiz we just had, Fedex Ground could be cheaper, but in their view they don't have to be, there lines are full enough. They don't seem like they are hell bent to get the most business possible, just the business and growth they want. Fedex wants that steady incline.

Now I'm with you about the crazy hysteria of the company falling apart. That is employees being fearful of the unknown.

TUT

My advice would be for UPS to attack the Ground business model on the basis that it doesn't pass the independent contractor smell test. FedEx Ground non-employees are held to employee standards

They have been doing that non-stop for years. Some care, many don't, if I had doubts you take the "Pepsi Challenge" and you test it out yourself and see.

vantexan

This is not true. UPS is very competitive and can definitely come in cheaper than Fedex Ground job to job. That was the little quiz we just had, Fedex Ground could be cheaper, but in their view they don't have to be, there lines are full enough. They don't seem like they are hell bent to get the most business possible, just the business and growth they want. Fedex wants that steady incline.

Now I'm with you about the crazy hysteria of the company falling apart. That is employees being fearful of the unknown.

I just compared how much it would cost to send a 2 pound pkg in carrier shipping box that I dropped off from my current zip code to a business in my previous zip code. UPS Ground is $17.99, FedEx Ground is $9.30. Somebody has been giving you bad info, sorry.

TUT

Google GM fleet sales government. It's an eye opener.

"We now learn that government purchases of GM vehicles rose a whopping 79% in June, year over year."

That is an increase of nearly twice the vehicles purchased by the gov't year over year. That does not mean 79% of all GM sales are from the Gov't buying them.

AND

Update: GM sales spokesman, Jim Cain, points out that total government sales for GM in June were still below 5% of total sales
(This was updated because of a mis-quote at Brown Cafe and we wanted to be clear, lol)

http://nlpc.org/stories/2012/07/05/gm’s-government-sales-and-truck-inventory-rise

vantexan

"We now learn that government purchases of GM vehicles rose a whopping 79% in June, year over year."

That is an increase of nearly twice the vehicles purchased by the gov't year over year. That does not mean 79% of all GM sales are from the Gov't buying them.

AND

Update: GM sales spokesman, Jim Cain, points out that total government sales for GM in June were still below 5% of total sales
(This was updated because of a mis-quote at Brown Cafe and we wanted to be clear, lol)

GM’s Government Fleet Sales and Truck Inventory Rise | National Legal and Policy Center

OK, I see your point and you are right. However in July fleet sales were up 115% over previous July. Tell me, how much are they spending at Ford? And if they took away that 5+% do you think that might hurt a little?

STFXG

July is a new fiscal year for a lot of governments and municipalities. Makes sense for a spike when they get money doesn't it? Maybe they have more money this year? Economy on the rise?

purplesky

70% of GM's current sales are federal gov't fleet sales. In other words Obama is propping them up to keep from looking bad. If the economy tanks again they're in big trouble. When the gov't gets out of the way and let's GM build cars people want instead of the Volt then they might make a go of it.

Really? Prove it. The auto makers are hiring more workers now so YOU ARE WRONG. I love how people make it sound like Obama IS ON THE PHONE WITH GM ALL THE TIME LIKE HE IS THE CEO OR SOMETHING.

The Volt will be huge once the price comes down. IT IS NEW TECHNOLOGY. The Toyota Prius was very expensive when it first came out.

It just drives the right wingers nuts that Obama helped save the auto industry.:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They have been doing that non-stop for years. Some care, many don't, if I had doubts you take the "Pepsi Challenge" and you test it out yourself and see.

No, they haven't. UPS has been very passive regarding Ground, and now it's coming back to bite them hard. UPS could have easily snuffed-out Ground in it's infancy by intentionally lowering prices temporarily to avoid Ground getting any substantial market share. They also could have attacked Ground legislatively through challenging the Ground business model. They did neither, and stood by while Ground grew into a powerhouse. Fred S, who is always bleating about creating welcoming environments for business, has engineered an environment in which he holds all the advantages...a non-union workforce of low-wage/no benefit, non-employees that operates at an approximate 40% cost savings over UPS, and a contractor/ISP model that allows FedEx to run Ground from behind the scenes. The contractor pays and hires employees, but under the strict guidelines established by FedEx, A lot of us think this is a major scam, and that Ground drivers really should be classified as employees. Mr. Smith depends on the taxpayer to provide food stamps and medical care for his Ground workers, another dimension of the scam.

I guess UPS is OK with all of this, because they've done nothing to stop it. A lot of complacent UPS drivers aren't thinking very hard about their futures, because Ground is getting a heavily-subsidized ride which will eventually come at their expense.

vantexan

July is a new fiscal year for a lot of governments and municipalities. Makes sense for a spike when they get money doesn't it? Maybe they have more money this year? Economy on the rise?

Standard for the auto industry is a 60 day supply of inventory for a given model. GM currently has a 135 day supply of pickups which means they aren't selling well. And if governments have money to spend then why the layoffs around the country, why the push to raise taxes?

vantexan

Really? Prove it. The auto makers are hiring more workers now so YOU ARE WRONG. I love how people make it sound like Obama IS ON THE PHONE WITH GM ALL THE TIME LIKE HE IS THE CEO OR SOMETHING.

The Volt will be huge once the price comes down. IT IS NEW TECHNOLOGY. The Toyota Prius was very expensive when it first came out.

It just drives the right wingers nuts that Obama helped save the auto industry.:wink2:

I'm a fan of the Prius. It sold at a premium because of high demand. Where's the demand for the Volt? It costs what, about $45k?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Standard for the auto industry is a 60 day supply of inventory for a given model. GM currently has a 135 day supply of pickups which means they aren't selling well. And if governments have money to spend then why the layoffs around the country, why the push to raise taxes?

Gas is way up lately, especially in CA, where it's been about $4.65 a gallon. Not much demand for 12 mpg pickups.