Time off/attendance issues

aiian

What if anything does the contract say in regards to time off due to medical issues?

My dermatologist found a chunk of melanoma on my nose back in May that needed to be taken off by a plastic surgeon by way of skin graft.

Needless to say I burnt up my personal and option days pretty quick with doctor's visits and even took 3 wks. of FMLA time for recovery. Lately my center manager is just about denying me time off to go to my follow up appointments and has mentioned a warning letter for attendance.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Any FMLA left?

And, your center manager is a heartless dick.

(Make sure it was 'only' melanoma and not Merkel cell. That stuff (and a bad dermatologist) killed my mother.)

aiian

I do have FMLA left but don't need to take much time off at time... only one day every 2-3 months for follow ups and routine checkups.

I thought being a heartless dick was part of the center manager's job description.

aiian

(Make sure it was 'only' melanoma and not Merkel cell. That stuff (and a bad dermatologist) killed my mother.)

Yikes. thanks for that... and I thought Melanoma stories were scary :yawn2:

Sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer has been rough on my fam as well.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I do have FMLA left but don't need to take much time off at time... only one day every 2-3 months for follow ups and routine checkups.

I thought being a heartless dick was part of the center manager's job description.

Making a business decision and being compassionate about your cancer are two different things.
Was it really necessary to lump us all together or did you get cool points by bad mouthing us.....

Please think next time....

aiian

It was said in jest in response to cosmo1's comment.

Do you have anything constructive to add or did you just want to point out that your feelers were hurt?

jaker

trolling
If you have FMLA left then he can't say a word about you missing a day to take care of it

Also go talk to your HR and ask some question and see what they say , if they tell you what you thought then tell them about your center manager and what he said to you about using FMLA

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Making a business decision and being compassionate about your cancer are two different things.
Was it really necessary to lump us all together or did you get cool points by bad mouthing us.....

Please think next time....
Seriously comparing a business decision to someone having cancer, I mean come on. Typical management b/s. I mean I know they train you guys to be snakes but that is scum bag low. Hey as long as your numbers are good though that is all that matters right.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What if anything does the contract say in regards to time off due to medical issues?

My dermatologist found a chunk of melanoma on my nose back in May that needed to be taken off by a plastic surgeon by way of skin graft.

Needless to say I burnt up my personal and option days pretty quick with doctor's visits and even took 3 wks. of FMLA time for recovery. Lately my center manager is just about denying me time off to go to my follow up appointments and has mentioned a warning letter for attendance.

Do I have a leg to stand on?
If you're full-time and have been there long enough, which it sounds like you have since you already took 3 weeks of FMLA, you get up to 12 weeks. If you took 3, you have 9 weeks left.

The FMLA time does not need to be consecutive nor a week at a time. If you need a day off for treatment, claim it under FMLA.

Sounds like you already had FMLA approved since you took time already. Each time you need a day off resulting from care for your condition, tell your center manager that you need a day off under the already approved FMLA.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Please think next time
How can you compare a "business decision" to someone asking for time off to take care of something That could possibly cause them a slow and painful death? I dealt with many CMs in my 38 years, but that, sir takes the cake. You have no soul, but with an attitude like that, I imagine you'll go right up the ladder.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yikes. thanks for that... and I thought Melanoma stories were scary :yawn2:

Sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer has been rough on my fam as well.
You needed to apply for intermittent leave under fmla. I believe you still can. That is for the days you need to burn for check ups etc. Good luck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wonder if the center manager would say the same thing to a woman with breast cancer? What a tool!
My husband had one of his his post bypass appointment on peak day, I had intermittent leave to take him to his appointments. Serioulsy I would have rather gone to work. But they actually asked me to get the appointment changed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Told my center manager i need 6-8 weeks off in a few months for surgery. Their.first response was..you can't miss peak! Watch me....lol

Big Bad Wolf

You can take single FMLA days. The manager can TRY to discipline you but it won't stick. Ask him if he is retaliating against you for getting cancer on the clock.

Where are you pigs now?