Time off/attendance issues

Exactly...they dont care about your personal problems....so protect yourself because management won't help you!
When my wife was In the hospital,giving birth to our first child. she was having some real serious issues.
My mother in law,called the center,several times (no cell phones or DIAD communication back then). The little spineless prick that ran the center,made no effort to contact me.
Fortunately I had given my mother in law,a few of my pick ups phone numbers.

the one customer she called,actually sent one of his employees to go find me.
I took the truck back to the building and went off on my center manager.

He didnt have one word to say.
I really hated that PRICK, their is a special place in HELL for him.

What if anything does the contract say in regards to time off due to medical issues?

My dermatologist found a chunk of melanoma on my nose back in May that needed to be taken off by a plastic surgeon by way of skin graft.

Needless to say I burnt up my personal and option days pretty quick with doctor's visits and even took 3 wks. of FMLA time for recovery. Lately my center manager is just about denying me time off to go to my follow up appointments and has mentioned a warning letter for attendance.

Do I have a leg to stand on?
Intermittent fmla. Then he can kiss it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My husband had one of his his post bypass appointment on peak day, I had intermittent leave to take him to his appointments. Serioulsy I would have rather gone to work. But they actually asked me to get the appointment changed.

Not to sound cold, but would delaying the appointment by a week or so have made that much of a difference?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When my wife was In the hospital,giving birth to our first child. she was having some real serious issues.
My mother in law,called the center,several times (no cell phones or DIAD communication back then). The little spineless prick that ran the center,made no effort to contact me.
Fortunately I had given my mother in law,a few of my pick ups phone numbers.

the one customer she called,actually sent one of his employees to go find me.
I took the truck back to the building and went off on my center manager.

He didnt have one word to say.
I really hated that PRICK, their is a special place in HELL for him.
Yeah i remember that story....that is beyond friend'd up....thank God at least your wife and baby were okay...but its amazing how all these years later....its still the same old Scnhit with management. Packages before people...they'd give a friend if it were their. own families though!!.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me preface this by saying that I have zero knowledge on this subject. Sure, I could Google it and become an "expert", but the truth is I have never known anyone who has had to deal with melanoma.

That being said, using all of your personal and sick days (2 weeks) and an additional 3 weeks of vacation, for a total of 5 weeks, would seem to be sufficient, if not a bit excessive, for what was a relatively minor procedure. I would assume that part of your post-surgery care was to make sure the affected area was bandaged and kept dry, neither of which should have kept you out of the driver's seat.

I would think your center manager would not be giving you a hard time now had you made an effort to get back to work in a more timely manner.

Let me preface this by saying that I have zero knowledge on this subject. Sure, I could Google it and become an "expert", but the truth is I have never known anyone who has had to deal with melanoma.

That being said, using all of your personal and sick days (2 weeks) and an additional 3 weeks of vacation, for a total of 5 weeks, would seem to be sufficient, if not a bit excessive, for what was a relatively minor procedure. I would assume that part of your post-surgery care was to make sure the affected area was bandaged and kept dry, neither of which should have kept you out of the driver's seat.

I would think your center manager would not be giving you a hard time now had you made an effort to get back to work in a more timely manner.
What?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Scab.

Nimnim

The Nim
What if anything does the contract say in regards to time off due to medical issues?
My dermatologist found a chunk of melanoma on my nose back in May that needed to be taken off by a plastic surgeon by way of skin graft.
Needless to say I burnt up my personal and option days pretty quick with doctor's visits and even took 3 wks. of FMLA time for recovery. Lately my center manager is just about denying me time off to go to my follow up appointments and has mentioned a warning letter for attendance.
Keep up with the FMLA, as others have mentioned you might need to get it switched to intermittent. Either way, if you have an appointment as important as this, even if you get a warning letter grieve it.

I know you hate Upstate, but in this case he has a point. He may be undereducated on this, much like most management would be, so his final sentence makes sense in that regard. An undereducated management wouldn't care if you are not well, but that you made an effort to come back quickly. Is it right? That's another debate.

Now stop throwing terms like "scab" out that don't apply just because you have a something stuck in your craw towards someone. You degrade the meaning of these terms misusing them, and they becomes less effective.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My only point was what did the 3 weeks of recovery entail and would any of that recovery been hindered by getting back behind the wheel in a more timely manner.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My only point was what did the 3 weeks of recovery entail and would any of that recovery been hindered by getting back behind the wheel in a more timely manner.
My sister had some melanoma removed from her leg a little over a year ago. Had a very deep incision required to make sure they got it all. Lot of pain and prone to bleeding if she did not get rest. Chemotherapy on top of that had her nauseous around the clock for weeks. That type of cancer is nothing to friendck with.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I know you hate Upstate, but in this case he has a point. He may be undereducated on this, much like most management would be, so his final sentence makes sense in that regard. An undereducated management wouldn't care if you are not well, but that you made an effort to come back quickly. Is it right? That's another debate.

Now stop throwing terms like "scab" out that don't apply just because you have a something stuck in your craw towards someone. You degrade the meaning of these terms misusing them, and they becomes less effective.
There are very few people on this site that I know well enough to like or hate. Upstate is not one of them. That being said, this is one of the definitions of scab as found on dictionary.com:

.4. Slang A person regarded as contemptible
Side with management over a union brother? If the shoe fits...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

FMLA for follow-up visits, short-term disability for longer recovery.

Your center manager cannot deny you FMLA if you still have time in your bank (12 weeks/year for an eligible FT employee and 6 weeks/year for a PT employee). Next time he threatens you, call your Business Agent and notify HR. If it happens again, call the Department of Labor FMLA Enforcement which is handled by the Wages & Hours Division.

Nimnim

The Nim
There are very few people on this site that I know well enough to like or hate. Upstate is not one of them. That being said, this is one of the definitions of scab as found on dictionary.com:

.4. Slang A person regarded as contemptible
Side with management over a union brother? If the shoe fits...

Your link to dictionary.com and searching scab provides no such definition, I had to go to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scab to find it.

Also if not hate, you have an unhealthy obsession. This is an internet forum afterall, if you can't get along with someone you can either use the lovely ignore function, not reply, reply in a civil debate manner, or reply uncivilly and get called out on it. Looks like you've chosen the last option this time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is also none of your business. The OP's recovery plan was determined by a professional and the patient.

You're right----it is none of my business.

Dragon does make a good point-----UPS still has a business to run-----I can't help but wonder if the center manager in question had some doubt as to whether the OP truly needed to take that much time to recover or if perhaps he was milking it a bit, thus the attendance issue discussion.

Nolimitz

You're right----it is none of my business.

Dragon does make a good point-----UPS still has a business to run-----I can't help but wonder if the center manager in question had some doubt as to whether the OP truly needed to take that much time to recover or if perhaps he was milking it a bit, thus the attendance issue discussion.
center manager also has no business in the health issues of an employee. His responsibility is to ensure adequate staffing for the center. Not forcing people back to work during an illness. Businesses today have zero compassion...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

center manager also has no business in the health issues of an employee. His responsibility is to ensure adequate staffing for the center. Not forcing people back to work during an illness. Businesses today have zero compassion...

Sadly a dishonest workforce has forced companies to adopt these "less than compassionate" policies. I am not in any way saying that the OP is dishonest-----what I am saying is that after a few cases of comp fraud you can see where a center manager may become a bit jaded.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Your link to dictionary.com and searching scab provides no such definition, I had to go to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scab to find it.

Also if not hate, you have an unhealthy obsession. This is an internet forum afterall, if you can't get along with someone you can either use the lovely ignore function, not reply, reply in a civil debate manner, or reply uncivilly and get called out on it. Looks like you've chosen the last option this time.
If by "getting called out", you mean a member I've never had any interactions with that I can recall, butting in and feeling the need to tell me which words I should and shouldn't use in reference to someone else? The "someone else" in question who hurls more derogatory names at certain members than i ever have?? Incidentally, where were you when he called me a buddyh or Cosmo a ____??? Please, spare me the lecture.