time off for death in family

bitter to the bone

I lost my fiance On Sunday September 1st and I was wondering if I am entitled to anytime off the job or is this really at the discretion of my supervisor? By the way my fiance retired from UPS after 30 years. Please say a prayer as we have lost one of our "Soldiers in Brown" Thank you

Loyal Teamster

I lost my fiance On Sunday September 1st and I was wondering if I am entitled to anytime off the job or is this really at the discretion of my supervisor? By the way my fiance retired from UPS after 30 years. Please say a prayer as we have lost one of our "Soldiers in Brown" Thank you

Sorry for your loss & our prayers are with you.

As for days off, you are guaranteed a minimum of to days off. I believe more days off would be on the discretion of your supervisor. I recommend also using some vacation weeks off.

Good luck brother & let god help you during this hard time.

Thanks,
​Loyal Teamster

texan

Not entitled, but I pray that the heart of your supervisor and manager opens with compassion and allows you time.

My condolences and prayers for you, and both families.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Goodness...while you're not entitled, there's a special place in hell waiting for your supervisor if they don't allow you some time off. I'm very sorry for your loss.

You may not, probably won't, get paid funeral leave but absolutely you can request bereavement time. If you don't get the right answer from your immediate management team then contact HR.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have to agree with other users here that you won't be given bereavement pay, but they can't make you come in while you try to cope during this time of loss.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You will not get paid. Sorry for your loss.
It has to be tough. A good team will give you off with no hassle. Use whatever days you have, otherwise get to a doc and have him write you a note, that you need time off. It is very tough after a death in what you considered your family. Your sups may well allow it. Someone above may not. Cover your butt. I know its tough its like a never ending ocean of waves, one minute you are fine the next one crahses you.
Take time for yourself and when you are ready go back. The loss of a future life partner, is not small. Take all the time you need. But protect yourself. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. June

cynic

Sympathies for your loss, very sad. You don't mention how long you're worked at UPS - if you require time off to gather your emotions and a medical professional concurs, you may want to see if you can apply for Short Term Disability (STD) or for Famliy and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). FMLA is unpaid and can follow Short Term Disability if you're unable to return to work after the STD runs out. Of if you opt for FMLA first (and PLEASE ask the FMLA hotline) you can call in to work and get the day off UNPAID but giving yourself time to grieve or whatever your emotions needs.

And PLEASE call the UPS Hotline - my opinions and a dollar will get you, well, a dollar. Local HR for me has been poor on providing information on Short Term Disability and Family Medical Leave of Abscence information - call the toll free numbers in UPSers.com. (P.S. - the call center mangers listen in on all their calls to make sure the info they give you is correct.)

Take care of yourself! Thoughts and prayers go out to you, family, and friends.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sympathies for your loss, very sad. You don't mention how long you're worked at UPS - if you require time off to gather your emotions and a medical professional concurs, you may want to see if you can apply for Short Term Disability (STD) or for Famliy and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). FMLA is unpaid and can follow Short Term Disability if you're unable to return to work after the STD runs out. Of if you opt for FMLA first (and PLEASE ask the FMLA hotline) you can call in to work and get the day off UNPAID but giving yourself time to grieve or whatever your emotions needs. And PLEASE call the UPS Hotline - my opinions and a dollar will get you, well, a dollar. Local HR for me has been poor on providing information on Short Term Disability and Family Medical Leave of Abscence information - call the toll free numbers in UPSers.com. (P.S. - the call center mangers listen in on all their calls to make sure the info they give you is correct.) Take care of yourself! Thoughts and prayers go out to you, family, and friends.
This is correct. Have a friend at ups who filed fmla for this. If they would have just worked with himnand gave him some time off to grieve he wouldn't of had to file. But we work where we work so go to your doctor with the fmla paperwork tell him how you feel he will fill it out and u can take as much time as u need, when u need it , good luck to you and so sorry about your loss

bitter to the bone

Thank you all for the kind words and answers to my question. I talked to my shift supe tonight and he gave me the day of the memorial service off. That's all I asked for -at least for now. He also said if I needed anything else to just come and talk to him. He's one of the few on our management team who is still not a real prick. Very rare at UPS

Cynic thank you for mentioning the short term disability and the FMLA. I'm hoping that I won't need to take any considerable time off but it's good to know there are options if I have to. By the way I have been with the company for almost 16 years.

Thank you once again for the kind words and prayers

cynic

bitter to the bone, you are welcome. One other benefit available from UPS is the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that you can find on UPSers.com. Bereavement is one of the areas they provide assistance - it's good to talk to friends but sometimes a professional can help you work through the phases of grief. Never hurts to see what's available. Good luck, and God bless.

bitter to the bone

Cynic, I have looked into the EAP already just in case I need them. I also talked to my shift supe and he's gonna try to get me paid even though it is a shot in the dark. Everyone at my center has been wonderful and that helps a lot in making me feel better. Suprises me sometimes about UPS. Just when you think everything is crappy, you have a ray of light show you everything isn't all bad. :) Thanks again for the assistance.