Time Spent Sorting Truck And Methods

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
actually work as instructed, the union has no back bone... if I do not sort and I find one after 5 and its a buisness im getting a trip to the office, and then when my union rep. that plays both sides says did you sort and I say no then im done. You guys have bashed me for years on here, your centers are not like mine, good for you, I wish I could be part of that. You guys are lucky not to be in my Div. yu guys have NO CLUE....
I'd grow a set and run for steward but that's just me.

ManInBrown

No sorting here. If the loader can't load in order not my problem. I search for every package every stop if I have to. I never leave a stop without searching every shelf for the package if I cant find it. No going back to any stops here. I'll take 15 minutes looking for something if I have to

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The problem I have is other drivers not scanning missorts so I'm looking for something that is not in my truck. Part of that is managements fault. They are forcing drivers to break off to meet someone to dump off routes, so to avoid that, drivers are not scanning until late in the day.

BostonBo

I set up as I go, and if the shelf is too crammed I'll put one neighborhood on one shelf, the next on another, etc. if I don't know the delivery order, I'll load the packages alpha numeric so I'll at least know where they are when I need to grab it. This worked old school, EDD, and Orion for areas on the blind. Load the big pkg on the floor label up or out (unlike the preload!) or mark PAL with a crayon. If I can't find the package in the right section, I'll check maybe the first five in the next section. I also peek at 6999 and 8999 and RDL and RDR.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I take a late lunch to be able to get most of my business and nearly all bulk off to be able to sort my truck. When I was a cover guy I just sorted the next few stops then after Orion started that didnt work anymore without stressing me out. Then I bid a route in a non orion area and I kept sorting the whole truck and the day is a breeze.

I sort the truck completely around 145 then start my lunch around 2.

S

selfcancelsignal

I work willy nilly until I finish my businesses &/or 1st pocket of resi's. My regular loader allows for this as he's usually very good. Then most of the time, it's sort before clocking out for lunch. Usually I'm into the 5000 section at this point in a p700. It's line up everything stop for at this point before my 30+ pick ups.

SCV good to go sir.

As a rule of thumb, I like to deliver the 1000-4000 shelves (give or take a shelf at times) and then sort the package car. It feels like you're losing time, but you definitely make up for it having everything in order. Plus having sorted every package yourself at that point, you'll kind of know where everything is subconsciously. It sounds like you're freaking out, this sort time would also be a good time to take a breather, grab some water, eat a cliff bar, calm down.

Also, whatever shelf you're on, keep pushing :censored2: towards the front. While you're searching for packages on a shelf, organize that shelf at the same time. If I'm looking for something on the 1000 shelf and I don't find it and it's not on the floor, I'll search about 1/3 into the 5000 shelf. If you're searching for something that's a pick up stop or very close by, you can afford to not spend as much time looking. If it's a stop that's towards the edge of your route that you won't be nearby later, you may want to give that stop more time to find the package.

JL 0513

We have to sort because we have to find our bad slaps, misloads before 3 so they (sups) can pick them up and take them to the correct routes, I usually go in 30 mins early and set my route up....

You're working 130 hrs a year for free. 3 solid weeks.

I don't care how screwy your center is, as you described. They can't fire you for over allowed or missing a business. No need to step into your PC before PCM except to maybe drop off your cooler/backpack. The day will sort out and will take as long as it takes.

BrownDog5117

Listen... I don't want to be out there all damn day. Save that for peak. I sort my truck a tad while I'm looking for a package, but the majority of my sorting comes during my breaks.

My 1st break around 10:30 or whenever my air is done, I like to get my next section sorted by HIN number, and fix any major egress issues in the truck. (Perhaps move that bulky box behind the wheel well to clear the aisle).

Once lunch comes around, I like to sort the rest of the truck by HIN number. It doesn't take long, maybe 10-15 minutes. Makes the rest of my residentials fly off.

Frowned upon? Maybe. Out at a reasonable time to be home with my family... worth it.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
There really is no answer..the stop and piece counts are so high the shelves run out of room quick, the load order breaks down. It's killing me wasting so much time digging for a pkg I will be 2 houses from later in the day . HATE orion

Foamer Pyle

I work my first two sections, then pull over and pop the back door, and sort the entire car. That usually takes me 20 minutes, but easily saves me time in the long run.