Time Spent Sorting Truck And Methods

QKRSTKR

I left package a little after we got Orion. Sorting defiantly became more difficult. Before I would stop once. Line up all my residential and be done with it. I knew exactly how they would be set up in edd list. With Orion it doesn't go in order. So unless you have diad in hand you can't line up perfectly. (And takes way to long) I started just sorting by seq. #instead of address. Makes selection procedure at each stop longer for sure.

Now all my sorting consist of what trailer is going to be my lead.

Overpaid Union Thug

We shouldn't have to sort. We should be able to enter the truck and find our next stop by locating the corresponding sequence number from EDD or ORION either on the PALs or the written numbers. But there are three problems with that. One is that preloaders either don't have time to write numbers legibly or are incapable of it. Another is that some jackass desk jockey in Atlanta has instructed every center's preload to stop facing labels and to face the unreadable hand written numbers instead. Many have been threatened with warning letters if they are caught peeling the SPAs and placing them where we can see them. The third is that many PDSs are STILL too freakin lazy to do their jobs and make sure there are no duplicate sequence numbers.

The cure all to these problems is to just let preloaders do what EVERYONE else in the hubs/centers has been doing for decades..... FACE labels up, out, or forward. What sense does it make to make the preloaders do the opposite and therefore hide what we need to be more efficient from us? Them have the nerve to ask certain drivers why they took so long at a particular stop.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My loader transferred here from the BOG; I never have to look for a package. All of them in perfect order.
image.jpg

9.5 everyday

I run my business, and finish about 12:00-12:30. I then sort my entire truck stop for stop. Usually takes 30 minutes. Then head out and don't stop until I need some lunch or just a breather. We currently don't have Orion so I sort how I run the route and not how edd has it set up. I've never been questioned about my 30 minutes of sort time. Probably because there's no pauses in between resi stops once I get going.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I run my business, and finish about 12:00-12:30. I then sort my entire truck stop for stop. Usually takes 30 minutes. Then head out and don't stop until I need some lunch or just a breather. We currently don't have Orion so I sort how I run the route and not how edd has it set up. I've never been questioned about my 30 minutes of sort time. Probably because there's no pauses in between resi stops once I get going.

Do you enter that time under sort and load?

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
15 to 30 mins everyday coded little "s" in other work.
as instructed by ors. Im on orion.

barnyard

KTM rider
how do you take a portion of a quote?
Highlight the portion you want to quote and a 'reply' shows next to the highlighted text. Press reply and only the highlighted text shows.

or

You can do the whole quote and delete the superfluous stuff. The key is not changing the quote to reflect what the OP really meant. Too many people objected to that and it is now against the rules. Ugh. And soooooo many quotes need fixing too.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sorting for 30 minutes explains your user name.

El Correcto

god is dead
I sort through out the day, if I see something out of place I fix it immediately. By out of place I mean in the floor mostly or if I catch something sitting on the wrong shelf. That's the part of the job that I really struggled with starting off since I came from twilight and didn't even know the shelf numbers. You also got to use some area knowledge as well and know there's no point in setting up until you get off the :censored2:ed up roads that will toss your stuff back in the floor.

Holydriver

I find that I struggle figuring out the best way to sort out my truck thrughout the day.

Currently, I am on a route where I can't work off of one shelf for a long period of time even when doing resis based on the way edd is set up and how the route runs. I have to get off most of my businesses first thing in the morning so this isn't where I run into problems. I run into problems when I start the resis.

So here's an example of a typical situation that I run into. I start my resis and can't find the package. I don't want to spend to much time digging yet know that sorting is necessary for me to work the most efficiently throughout the rest of the day. Because I don't want to waste to much time digging for a package I sort a little and then move on only to find the package a little while later. Unfortunately, with the route I am doing I can't get through a whole shelving section before moving on to the next one. For example I might be working off of the 3000 section for a few stops but then jump to another shelving section.

I run into problems because I don't want to spend too much time at 1 stop looking for a package but also know that at some point I need to get things sorted to get done.

What do you guys do when sorting your truck? Do you sort the whole section you are in until you are sure you don't have the package then move on or do you just move on quickly? Also how much do you usually sort at once? When I am running behind or think I am running behind I hate to spend to much time sorting because I want to be delivering but probably waste too much time looking. How do you judge how much to sort and and how long to dig? Also how do you remember when a package is too big for the shelf and it is on the floor? If you have a lot of large packages on the floor you waste time constantly scanning them all the time. I have heard some guys use post it notes or info notices to remind them.
depending on how much shelf space i have, ill sort my pieces in stop order. for example, ill sort say up to 25 stops on my 1000 and 2000 section with all pieces in exact stop order that EDD shows me. that way i stop, open the door, grab what is needed and roll on. furthermore, this eliminates me stopping at someones house loooking for a package and not being able to find it thus reducing wasted time. especially when doing a country route. you spend some time sorting it in order, but doing them all at once takes less time than digging thru packages at each individual stop