Time Studies and Work Measurement Allowances

pretzel_man

yep, Probabilty and stats can be skewed to make it show what you want it to. Unless you are actually out there on the road no computer program or satellite can do better

If you are talking about lying with statistics, yes it exists. I once read a book on that. If you search the web, you will see many links on "lying with statistics".

However, probability and statistics are good science. At least when done properly. They are used all around us and every day.

Election polls
Manufacturing quality assurance / testing
Television ratings
Weather forecasts
Gambling
Healthcare / disease predictions
Medical studies
Insurance

Everything can be misused. It doesn't mean that the "science" is not good. The key to know if someone is "lying with statistics" or properly using statistics is to learn about the process.

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
if the time studies use a tangible and absolute equal formula for every route,,company wide there should no problem allowing the hourly to view the formula...ive lost alot of bonus and money after a button was pushed on a comp reducing my allowance,,i would love to see the ACTUAL math used

Therein lies the problem ... there is a difference in how allowances are developed and how they are applied. What you should be able to see from your supervisor is a set of allowances but that gives you no idea how those allowances were developed. What you will see is a Stop Allowance, an On-Area driving allowance, a to-From Driving allowance, etc. that are specific to that area. Then there will be a set of allowances that are universal for all drivers regardless of area.

During the study of an area there are many discrete elements that the driver performs and these elements are classified by the observer. As an example, some of these elements (walk distance, stop lights, speed limits, etc.) are grouped together to develop a Stop Allowance for that area.
Again, from these groupings of discrete observations are developed allowances such as: a Stop Allowance, an On-Area driving allowance, a to-From Driving allowance, etc. that are specific to that area. Then there will be a set of allowances that are universal for all drivers regardless of area.

P-Man provided link to a presentation that gives a basic description of MTM (Methods-Time Measurements) . (Note to P-man: It's been years since I saw the term therbligs).
One item you may find of interest is that a "fudge factor" of 15% (this is what I recall) is added to all MTM values to allow for fatigue, exceptions and general variances ... I think the main reason is for fatigue.
Like P-man, I have been out of IE for 16 years, so I can't swear this is what UPS uses but I see no reason why they would change and it would be expensive to change which is another reason I don't think UPS would have changed.

Big Babooba

Find the "designated walk path".
0104001230.jpg
0104001230.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The flaw in your scenario is the wait time for Granny to answer the door. We are taught to knock, drop, and go. This is also why we are taught to beep the horn two houses before reaching the address being delivered. The DR location is selected while walking (directly) from the PC to the entry door, which may or may not be the front door. If the route is being run by the regular driver than the DR location is known ahead of time based upon experience. A sharp knock on the door, placement of the package (if small, put between the storm and entry door, ensuring the storm is securely closed), and walk back to the PC.

In the time you are waiting for Granny to answer the door I am already off to my next stop. I can't tell you how many times I have delivered the package and started the PC as the homeowner has just answered the door. Let's say that this takes 15 seconds. Multiply that 15 seconds by the 60 residential stops I have each day and that is 15 minutes wasted waiting for someone to answer a door. This is why your lack of experience in delivery precludes you from speaking intelligently on the subject. Stick to pensions and contracts.

Now, if the package is such that Granny may need help getting it in to the house, I would most certainly wait until she answered the door and ask if I could put it in the house for her. I can easily make up that time elsewhere in my day. However, if it small, it is knock, drop and go.

If you were to be my Peak helper and you stood and waited at someone's door for them to answer I would quickly and firmly correct that behavior. If uncorrected I would call the center and tell them to come get you as you are slowing me down. Knock, drop and go.
Man, you're harsh!
if the time studies use a tangible and absolute equal formula for every route,,company wide there should no problem allowing the hourly to view the formula...ive lost alot of bonus and money after a button was pushed on a comp reducing my allowance,,i would love to see the ACTUAL math used
A lot of runner/gunners lost time, go figure.
That's the best part about winter--the walk path is defined for you, whether shoveled or by repeatedly being walked on. (Stay away from the yellow snow).
You poor guys and your winter's.:wink2:

JonFrum

The flaw in your scenario is the wait time for Granny to answer the door. We are taught to knock, drop, and go. This is also why we are taught to beep the horn two houses before reaching the address being delivered. The DR location is selected while walking (directly) from the PC to the entry door, which may or may not be the front door. If the route is being run by the regular driver than the DR location is known ahead of time based upon experience. A sharp knock on the door, placement of the package (if small, put between the storm and entry door, ensuring the storm is securely closed), and walk back to the PC.

In the time you are waiting for Granny to answer the door I am already off to my next stop. I can't tell you how many times I have delivered the package and started the PC as the homeowner has just answered the door. Let's say that this takes 15 seconds. Multiply that 15 seconds by the 60 residential stops I have each day and that is 15 minutes wasted waiting for someone to answer a door. This is why your lack of experience in delivery precludes you from speaking intelligently on the subject. Stick to pensions and contracts.

Now, if the package is such that Granny may need help getting it in to the house, I would most certainly wait until she answered the door and ask if I could put it in the house for her. I can easily make up that time elsewhere in my day. However, if it small, it is knock, drop and go.

If you were to be my Peak helper and you stood and waited at someone's door for them to answer I would quickly and firmly correct that behavior. If uncorrected I would call the center and tell them to come get you as you are slowing me down. Knock, drop and go.
Ah, there is nothing in my example about the deliveries being Driver Release.

JonFrum

Thanks for the insight P-man. I had an idea about how the new time studies worked but never as in-depth as you just described it. Also, when I first heard of the new time studies I didn't believe the technology could be the accurate. However, I was 5 minutes earlytppick up a letter box so I did an experiment. If you choose 8 or 9 (not sure which one)from the communications menu on the DIAD (there is no title for 8 or 9, you just have to press it) it will give your latitude and longitude up to like 8 decimal places. So sure enough I checked it at the letter box and then walked about 10 steps and the numbers changed.

I had no idea the GPS was this accurate!
GPS is accurate, except when it's not accurate.

Polygraph Examinations are accurate, except when they are not accurate.

Cell phones have great reception, except when they don't.

The vending machines in the lunch room work fine, except when they don't.

Vehicle horn, lights, battery, wipers, work great, except when they don't.

JonFrum

Driver release is the assumed method of delivery for the vast majority of residentials. ********.
But Driver Releasing must be authorized. You can't just do it because you're UPSTATE and you think it's OK to DR a package that requires a signature for one reason or another, because you're in a hurry.

The default policy on every package is get a signature, unless Driver Release has been authorized by the shipper or the Center.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
But Driver Releasing must be authorized. You can't just do it because you're UPSTATE and you think it's OK to DR a package that requires a signature for one reason or another, because you're in a hurry.

The default policy on every package is get a signature, unless Driver Release has been authorized by the shipper or the Center.
not anymore,, everything is to be DR'd unless the board prompts you for a sig,, knock and drop baby ,,,go go go

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sorry, did you just crawl out from under a rock? Driver release is the standard now (residential)--hell, with Basic, we don't even pay claims anymore. Now, if the shipper has requested and paid for a signature, then I get a signature. There are shippers out there who will try to circumvent this by either stamping "Signature Required" on the package, taking one of our green "Signature Required" stickers and putting it on the package or by including the words "Signature Required" or "Do Not Driver Release" in the address label. Unless the package has a service code (digits 9 and 10 of the 1Z) of 42 or A8 then it gets DRed. Knock, drop and go, baby.

JonFrum

not anymore,, everything is to be DR'd unless the board prompts you for a sig,, knock and drop baby ,,,go go go
Some of you deliver in "safe" areas. Your Center (or higher up) has authorized Driver Release on a wide scale in those areas. But there are still packages that require a Signature, and in my example, I didn't specify the type of package. UPSTATE can't just assume it's a DR and them scold me like I don't know what I'm talking about. It's my example after all!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some of you deliver in "safe" areas. Your Center (or higher up) has authorized Driver Release on a wide scale in those areas. But there are still packages that require a Signature, and in my example, I didn't specify the type of package. UPSTATE can't just assume it's a DR and them scold me like I don't know what I'm talking about. It's my example after all!!!!

Driver release is the assumed method of delivery.

Your example lacked specifics, which is unusual for you as you normally include too much information in your posts.:wink2:

JonFrum

Your example lacked specifics, which is unusual for you as you normally include too much information in your posts.:wink2:
My example had nothing to do with Driver Release. You just read that into the situation, changing the whole point, and getting us off on something I wasn't talking about. Which you them scold me for talking about.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Driver release is the assumed method of delivery for the vast majority of residentials. *********
Unless a good majority of your resi's are apartments, then you MUST get a signature.

Everything but apartments. I hope that while you're "cruising" through neighborhoods trying to get done as fast as you can, so you can get home to your Wife and Kids, that you'll remember that other people's Wive's and Kid's are on the same streets that "cruising".

I'm sorry, did you just crawl out from under a rock? Driver release is the standard now (residential)--hell, with Basic, we don't even pay claims anymore. Now, if the shipper has requested and paid for a signature, then I get a signature. There are shippers out there who will try to circumvent this by either stamping "Signature Required" on the package, taking one of our green "Signature Required" stickers and putting it on the package or by including the words "Signature Required" or "Do Not Driver Release" in the address label. Unless the package has a service code (digits 9 and 10 of the 1Z) of 42 or A8 then it gets DRed. Knock, drop and go, baby.
I'm sorry, sir, but in this instance, you could be WRONG. If the shipper is still using the book, they have no choice, but to use that little green sticker, which means you MUST get a signature.

The same way that you include too many words! You could have given Jon the same post without the slander, which makes YOU look bad.
Work measurements are based on averages. You decide if you want to be an above or below average driver.
Above or below, what, no middle ground? How about if I just keep being the driver that I am. No late air, all pkgs delivered, happy customer's/shipper's and bringing back an undamaged pkg car. I call that a great day, and I didn't have to be like "so & so".

Hey P-Man, maybe you can convince one of your I.E. friend to post the metrics for time allowance on here.

pretzel_man

GPS is accurate, except when it's not accurate.

Polygraph Examinations are accurate, except when they are not accurate.

Cell phones have great reception, except when they don't.

The vending machines in the lunch room work fine, except when they don't.

Vehicle horn, lights, battery, wipers, work great, except when they don't.

I guess what you say is true for everything in the world with perhaps the exception of gravity...

I'm not sure if your example is intended to show that the new time studiy methodology has a problem due to GPS. If so, then your analogy does not fit.

GPS is only used to initially find the stop location. A satellite image is used to measure distance. As I said, the distance is measured from the middle of the street to the delivery location (which can be moved by the analyst) I think one would find it has accuracy much greater than GPS by itself.

P-Man

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unless a good majority of your resi's are apartments, then you MUST get a signature.

We are not allowed to DR at apartments but there is nothing saying that we have to get a signature unless required by the shipper. DR MC Man.

Everything but apartments. I hope that while you're "cruising" through neighborhoods trying to get done as fast as you can, so you can get home to your Wife and Kids, that you'll remember that other people's Wive's and Kid's are on the same streets that "cruising".

Steve, most of us here have kids and are well aware of how kids love to play in the road.

I'm sorry, sir, but in this instance, you could be WRONG. If the shipper is still using the book, they have no choice, but to use that little green sticker, which means you MUST get a signature.

Did I say they were using the peel off tracking label? I am talking about the shipper who prints their own labels, ships it 03 and then puts the green sticker on asking for a signature. Not gonna happen.

The same way that you include too many words! You could have given Jon the same post without the slander, which makes YOU look bad.

I think you have figured out by now that I don't care what others think of me.

Above or below, what, no middle ground? How about if I just keep being the driver that I am. No late air, all pkgs delivered, happy customer's/shipper's and bringing back an undamaged pkg car. I call that a great day, and I didn't have to be like "so & so".

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable day to me.

Hey P-Man, maybe you can convince one of your I.E. friend to post the metrics for time allowance on here.

That is proprietary information. You would sooner see me use a smilie than see that information posted here. (I hate smilies and I hate being called "dude")