Time to bump up that 401k

turq

Anybody else use the self managed feature with your 401k? I am actually doing a little better than the Prudential funds I am in. I have about 1/3 in the self managed account. I am kind of chicken to go much further than that, as I only have about 5 years to go before retirement.

Anybody else use the self managed feature with your 401k? I am actually doing a little better than the Prudential funds I am in. I have about 1/3 in the self managed account. I am kind of chicken to go much further than that, as I only have about 5 years to go before retirement.
I used , not anymore. Just don't put too much money in any one stock.

Bad Gas!

I made 127k last year and was unable to contribute the maximum under the Prudential Retirement plan. The reason for this was because of a law that restricts employees of companies that are deemed highly compensated, to contribute the federally allowed maximum to their own 401ks if not enough lower earners of the company aren't contributing enough to their own 401ks

The reason for this is to prevent the HCE (highly compensated employees) to use the 401k as strictly a tax shelter and to incentivize the lower employees to contribute to keep the HCE's able to contribute the max.

The problem UPS has is we are offered a pension, so many don't think they have a reason to contribute to the 401k in the first place. Secondly, I have no control over decisions that are made as I'm just a driver, but am being punished because I worked my ass off to achieve that level of salary last year.

Needless to say, one of the reasons I'm not working as much this year is because of the aforementioned.

Sorry that it's not 35 words or less, but I hope I cleared up any confusion.
Congrats on an awesome income year!

turq

I used , not anymore. Just don't put too much money in any one stock.
yeah Thanks. I'm pretty diversified with it. 3 stocks, 4 ETF's and 1 mutual fund. So far so good. I'm a little bearish on where I think we are heading, and didn't feel like Prudential had much options. The Dreyfus site is so much better than the Prudential site for research and such. The Prudential site is pretty lame if you ask me.

yeah Thanks. I'm pretty diversified with it. 3 stocks, 4 ETF's and 1 mutual fund. So far so good. I'm a little bearish on where I think we are heading, and didn't feel like Prudential had much options. The Dreyfus site is so much better than the Prudential site for research and such. The Prudential site is pretty lame if you ask me.
I'm in a similar situation as you. I want it to grow but I don't want to pick the wrong things and set my retirement date back. Look at the hit UPS stock just took. 4% is a lot to lose in one day. Good luck to you, hope you got a home run.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There's a pretty short list of people who have consistently beat the market and none of them are driving a truck for a living.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My sma was doing better also but I only had about 15% in it and was afraid to self manage more. I think it was mainly some luck. I just put the highest yielding blue chip stocks in it like at and t and johnson and johnson. stuff good blue chips and a couple strong performing ( 10 year performance ) Vanguard mutual funds.

Everyone at work says we should be able to live on the pension. Don't tell me they pulled the wool over my eyes. Back to your question- please notice the lol at the end of my post. I guess I am the only one who thinks that I am funny. Lol.
Can't count on pension or social security anymore. Got to take care of yourself. O know you are joking but many drivers believe what you posted.