Time to drive in my hub

UPSGUY72

So you would rather work part-time at UPS and work another job , rather than go full-time as a driver or management?

I made like $300 a week part-time and I make over $1500 a week driving. That extra 5k a month bought my house, truck and about everything else I own.

Do you still live at home or something?

He is going to school to get a job that pays $40,000 a yr but on the bright side he isn't going to be in a dead end job he has a slim chance to get promoted and make $50,000. He will have no benifits and have to pay 60% of his health care premiums. But atleast he isn't in a dead end job.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Probably lives at home his Mama cooks does his laundry all he has to do is work for party money and go to school for a FT job that only pays $40,000 but it isn't a dead on job done the road he can get promoted and make $50,000 but it has no benifits except the mandatory health care which he will have to 60% of.

But at least he isn't going to be in a dead end job.

H

HelloWorld

Yeah, really don't get the comments. In some sense every job is dead end unless you're working for yourself or climbing a corporate ladder. Neither of which are all that common. With drivers making over 70,000 a year, with the benefits and pension... you don't have much ammunition to say such ridiculous things.

Re-Raise

He is going to school to get a job that pays $40,000 a yr but on the bright side he isn't going to be in a dead end job he has a slim chance to get promoted and make $50,000. He will have no benifits and have to pay 60% of his health care premiums. But atleast he isn't in a dead end job.

I graduated from college with a degree in Business Administration while I was a part-time employee at UPS. I had a 31 ACT and my grades put me in the top 10 out of a class with slightly over 1000 graduates.

I was contacted, I never pursued the jobs, by a couple of local banks who offered me positions at about half of what drivers were being paid at UPS.

That was almost 20 years ago and I don't regret my choice of dead end jobs.

upsgrunt

UPS is by no means a dead end job at the FT level, whether hourly or management. Yes, the demands are far greater than with many other jobs, but the rewards are also greater. $80K plus benefits is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a job that does not even require a HS diploma. I will retire after 30 years with an estimated pension of $5,200/month. I don't know of any dead end jobs which provide those kinds of benefits.

Upstate,
How do you get close to 80K when you get close to no overtime; and how come your pension is 5,200 and ours is 3,400?

Steve

Re-Raise

Upstate,
How do you get close to 80K when you get close to no overtime; and how come your pension is 5,200 and ours is 3,400?

Steve

There was a link on here a while back and New York state does get that much.

I think I saw Upstate post on here once that they gave up some of their raise, or were voting on whether to give up part of their raise to help fund their pension.

Doesn't really matter how long it takes to drive. 3 months,1 year, 10 years. If you never put your name on the list, you will never drive. Nobody really ever knows, do they? Any one year you could have an anomaly where they go through 20+ drivers for one position. People quit, take other jobs, have infractions, don't pass a physical, Decide it isn't for them, Don't make through pre-seniority, or flat out decide they arn't ready now (bad timing). If you didn't sign up because you would have been 21st on the list, you could miss out. Timing can get you along way in life, or it can hinder you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate,

Steve

There was a link on here a while back and New York state does get that much.

I think I saw Upstate post on here once that they gave up some of their raise, or were voting on whether to give up part of their raise to help fund their pension.

Our estimated pension is $5,200/month. Re-raise is right, we recently voted to divert our current and next 3 split raises to the pension to help get it out of critical status. It is the above average monthly pension, combined with the fact that we have about 5,000 more retirees than actives and the nearly $1M hit the fund took in '98-99, that has put our fund in critical status and prompted the rehabilitation plan.

I meant to say $70K. I get no more than 2 hours OT each week.

UPSGUY72

Doesn't really matter how long it takes to drive. 3 months,1 year, 10 years. If you never put your name on the list, you will never drive. Nobody really ever knows, do they? Any one year you could have an anomaly where they go through 20+ drivers for one position. People quit, take other jobs, have infractions, don't pass a physical, Decide it isn't for them, Don't make through pre-seniority, or flat out decide they arn't ready now (bad timing). If you didn't sign up because you would have been 21st on the list, you could miss out. Timing can get you along way in life, or it can hinder you.

+1

It took me 11 months becasue I signed the list. I worked in the union before UPS so I didn't listen to everyone telling me I never get a drivers job for years so don't waste your time signing the list.

Karma...

Our estimated pension is $5,200/month. Re-raise is right, we recently voted to divert our current and next 3 split raises to the pension to help get it out of critical status. It is the above average monthly pension, combined with the fact that we have about 5,000 more retirees than actives and the nearly $1M hit the fund took in '98-99, that has put our fund in critical status and prompted the rehabilitation plan.

I meant to say $70K. I get no more than 2 hours OT each week.
I believe that you have the best pension with the exception of the pe and automotive mechanics whose union (iam) really know how to plan & run their pension plan....considering they have almost zero turnover they do an outstanding job.....

Re-Raise

I believe that you have the best pension with the exception of the pe and automotive mechanics whose union (iam) really know how to plan & run their pension plan....considering they have almost zero turnover they do an outstanding job.....

Mechanic? Sounds like a dead end job to me.

Notcool

At the little hum I work at for the last five years, I know guys that have been on the inside for 8 years and still waiting. The economy has a big play it I believe. Alot are leaving the company after a lot of time in. I may be thirty buy the time I get to go I am 24 now LOL

Re-Raise

No job is a deadend but the person may be the dead end. It is the limitations of the person that determines that. IMO

I agree, I was just using the same description he gave for full-time driver and full-time management.

I would never refer to anyone's job in this way. I just found his use of the term arrogant.

I guess he feels mechanic is a lot more upwardly mobile.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That made no sense. For ex:, how does a UPS driving job not dead-end?

If we were to use your definition, I guess you would say that Tom Brady is in a dead-end job. He is the starting quarterback for a Super Bowl winning team. He has no where else to go from here. He will never own the Patriots and will probably never coach them, either, so there are no positions that he could advance in to so he is stuck in a dead end job (with a drop dead gorgeous wife and a multi-gazillion dollar contract).

I don't consider my job to be dead end by any means. I will work my 30 years, retire and collect my pension. I will find a PT job just for something to do. I will work on my golf game and spoil my grandchildren. Dead end? I don't think so.