Tips and techniques for defending a driver at panel.....

badsporh

He who is not with us, is against us.
The panel hearing referred to in this post was held on Tuesday 11-4-14, here are the results:

3 day suspension for forgetting to do DIAD training-
-Reduced to a Warning Letter

10 day suspension for the small auto accident-
-Reduced to 3 day suspension

Discharge for failure to maintain SPOHR unsupervised vs. supervised-
-Reduced to a 45 day suspension

Discharge for continued failure to follow methods and instructions that were identified on the OJS rides-
-Deadlocked at panel and now going to arbitration

badsporh

Consecutively

It works out to the day that he is eligible to come back is the day of the next WPA Panel hearings, and he has another discharge case to be heard at that panel. This was an example of the Company using all of their resources and power to crush a good strong union brother and Shop Steward, and the Teamsters let it happen

badsporh

I guess it's to much to ask to have the union brother just do the job as instructed!
Lol, do the job as instructed huh?

Well if that was possible, I guess it wouldn't be too much to ask, but when there is a ZERO tolerance policy for ANY "methods infractions" I'd have to say that is an unattainable goal and an unrealistic expectation.

Particularly when the "methods" in question are subjective and based upon the objective observations of a biased supervisor that is charged with finding infractions

Park Close - Objective and not definitive

Smooth Car Routine - objective and not clearly defined

Carry Optimum Loads - objective and subject to speculation and not definitive

Brisk Pace, Move Out Without Delay, etc. etc..........so yeah, I guess if we were talking about black and white issues here it wouldn't be too much to ask for the brother to "just do the job as instructed".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The panel hearing referred to in this post was held on Tuesday 11-4-14, here are the results:

3 day suspension for forgetting to do DIAD training-
-Reduced to a Warning Letter

He must be repeatedly, forgetting to do something as simple as that.

10 day suspension for the small auto accident-
-Reduced to 3 day suspension

OK.

Discharge for failure to maintain SPOHR unsupervised vs. supervised-
-Reduced to a 45 day suspension

This sounds like an ongoing situation. (not the first time)

Maintaining a SPOHR ? I bet, there is more than that.

Discharge for continued failure to follow methods and instructions that were identified on the OJS rides-
-Deadlocked at panel and now going to arbitration

Here is the crux, of the company's case.

This isn't something that has happened overnight.... or in a few months.

It's been building for years.

I guess it's to much to ask to have the union brother just do the job as instructed!

The only problem being....

Management can't "demonstrate" (consistently) that it can be done.

Anyone, can run a few stops.

Management balks.... at proving it can be done.... for 10-12 hours.

Put up.... or Shut up.

-Bug-

badsporh

He must be repeatedly, forgetting to do something as simple as that.

Not true.......this was the 1st time in the history of our building that any driver was disciplined for not doing DIAD training.....and the driver in question is our Shop Steward and a vigorous defender of everybody in the building, that's why they disciplined him for forgetting.......they did it because they wanted to get him into progressive discipline

This sounds like an ongoing situation. (not the first time)

Maintaining a SPOHR ? I bet, there is more than that.

Wrong again, he was OJS' d for the first time in his 27 year career and then FIVE days later given a discharge for failure to maintain SPOHR

Here is the crux, of the company's case.

This isn't something that has happened overnight.... or in a few months.

The only thing that was building for years was the companies dissatisfaction with this Stewards competent and vigorous defense of his union brothers

It's been building for years.

The only problem being....

Management can't "demonstrate" (consistently) that it can be done.

Anyone, can run a few stops.

Management balks.... at proving it can be done.... for 10-12 hours.

Put up.... or Shut up.

I agree with you here......Amen

-Bug-

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We did put up. Panel agreed Union brother got a lengthy suspension, his job still on the line. Something you didn't understand in the post.

UPS won this OJS case! Be warned!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This is what's wrong with our panels. Anyone from our side agreeing to ANY decision against one of us regarding production standards has lit the fuse on the bomb that will blow up our union at UPS.

Horrible precedent, incredibly short-sighted and a perfect example how the multi-state panels continue to screw rank and file UPSers.

You think UPS panel members ever vote against the company? Hell no they don't. So why do our panel members vote against us? Because they can, that's why.

BUG, you continue to say there is more to this story than we're being told, and perhaps you're right. But ruling against a driver at panel for any sort of production value can, and most likely will have huge implications for every single one of us. And if anyone should know that, you should.

There's a reason someone like Dragon is probably licking his chops at a decision like this. If it sticks one place, it can stick anywhere. Managers will have no reason NOT to try this now. What do they have to lose?

And if anyone thinks, "well, this guy got rode with, then on his own was two stops an hour worse by himself," you're deluding yourself. UPS makes up these numbers, and any amount on the wrong side we get will be enough for them to come after us if they don't like us.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS won this OJS case! Be warned!

To bad.... it doesn't set any sort of precedent.

Yawn.

Rookies are funny.

BUG, you continue to say there is more to this story than we're being told, and perhaps you're right.

Drac,

I would put money on it.

The driver in question is from PA. He has posted this all over Facebook.

His "reasoning" for why this has happened, is because he is a 16 year Union Steward.

And, he supported the "Vote No" movement.

And, recently ran for Local Union office. (which he lost, by the way)

It's a plethora of excuses.

The panel members were (obviously) familiar with him.

He made his bed, and now has to lay in it.

"Dollars to donuts".... they are just trying to get his attention. So far, it's working. :wink2:

-Bug-

Dragon

Package Center Manager
:backingout::backingout::backingout:Lets put it in perspective for those of you who don't get it.

You can be disciplined for not maintaining SPORH after an OJS ride. PERIOD...I stated that in this thread in the beginning. Believe it cause I have used it.

You may think not following the methods is subjective "cause your load changes" wrong answer, proved at the panel...again.

This driver has been suspended for 8 weeks and 3 days. You only work 5 days a week, so at the earliest he would come back mid January. So do you think you can afford to not follow the methods?

Kudo's to the Center Team who put an end to this employee's "I don't have to do what you say cause I am in the Union attitude" remember you work for UPS and not the Union. I hope that the employees in that center or building have had their eyes opened and everyone can get back to the business of delivering packages.

We followed the contract and the panel voted in our favor and now everyone thinks they been sold out by their union. Don't pick and choose which part of the contract you like us to follow everyday (9.5 language..8 hr) and then complain when we use a lock in ride to tighten up them nuts. You are either all in or all out.

I am shocked that only a few people have responded to the outcome of this thread. If it had gone in the Union's favor you guys would have blitzed the internet to beat UPS down. Where are the haters?

Looking forward to a lot more replies on this thread. BRING THE DRAMA!!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
:backingout::backingout::backingout:Lets put it in perspective for those of you who don't get it.

You can be disciplined for not maintaining SPORH after an OJS ride. PERIOD...I stated that in this thread in the beginning. Believe it cause I have used it.

You may think not following the methods is subjective "cause your load changes" wrong answer, proved at the panel...again.

This driver has been suspended for 8 weeks and 3 days. You only work 5 days a week, so at the earliest he would come back mid January. So do you think you can afford to not follow the methods?

Kudo's to the Center Team who put an end to this employee's "I don't have to do what you say cause I am in the Union attitude" remember you work for UPS and not the Union. I hope that the employees in that center or building have had their eyes opened and everyone can get back to the business of delivering packages.

We followed the contract and the panel voted in our favor and now everyone thinks they been sold out by their union. Don't pick and choose which part of the contract you like us to follow everyday (9.5 language..8 hr) and then complain when we use a lock in ride to tighten up them nuts. You are either all in or all out.

I am shocked that only a few people have responded to the outcome of this thread. If it had gone in the Union's favor you guys would have blitzed the internet to beat UPS down. Where are the haters?

Looking forward to a lot more replies on this thread. BRING THE DRAMA!!

Bravo, dear leader!
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1415409183.347260.jpg

Sent using a Potato