Tips for feeder driving in the snow...

MaceFremonti

First winter in feeders for me and my run is 500 miles of six percent upgrades and six percent downgrades...any tips for driving in snow, ice, freezing rain, etc?

QKRSTKR

Mine too. No grades like that, flat for the most part. All I hear is slow slow slow. Also drivers say keep it rolling and be careful where you stop. Easy to get stuck.

1) No engine brake when on snow or ice covered roads...ever!

2) Find a gear on downgrades where you can maintain 25 MPH with only light pressure on the brakes...don't red-line the engine but higher RPMs are fine for short periods.

3) Constantly watch for tire spray from your own vehicle and those around you...if you see it, the road is wet...if you don't, you're on ice.

4) Don't forget that bridges/overpasses freeze first...always navigate them with extra caution during wet winter conditions.

Hope that helps!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed....and I give you package drivers a lot of credit driving and delivering in the snow and ice.... that's got to really suck.

I deliver in the city so it's not too bad. I do have one parking lot at a strip mall which houses the MBE store where the landlords are not really good about plowing when needed. The parking lot is on an incline heading up from the road----there have been days when I have had to go across 4 lanes of traffic to get a head start to try to back up the hill. The big thing is following distance. I'd almost rather have a foot of snow that have to deal with freezing rain.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I deliver in the city so it's not too bad. I do have one parking lot at a strip mall which houses the MBE store where the landlords are not really good about plowing when needed. The parking lot is on an incline heading up from the road----there have been days when I have had to go across 4 lanes of traffic to get a head start to try to back up the hill. The big thing is following distance. I'd almost rather have a foot of snow that have to deal with freezing rain.
Upstate NY is beautiful...I lived in New Paltz for a couple of years. But you guys get a few too many feet of snow for my liking.....lol. I'll stick with Long Island.

raceanoncr

First winter in feeders for me and my run is 500 miles of six percent upgrades and six percent downgrades...any tips for driving in snow, ice, freezing rain, etc?

Don't EVER try to keep up with somebody. Don't EVER let anyone hassle you about going faster. Don't EVER drive faster than you think you should. Don't EVER let the company hassle you about being late or going slow in snow and ice. Need I go further?

pretender

1) Get a sledgehammer and carry it in the cab for frozen brakes

2) Carry an extra container of windshield washer

3) Drive at a speed where you feel comfortable. However, it is possible to go too slow--Make sure you are pulling through curves and not letting the unit "push" you.

4) You don't always want to use the defrosters because your windshield will ice up.

5) Smooth, smooth, smooth--No sudden moves

6) Watch where you park--Don't stop on an incline.

**I meant to respond to the OP**

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In your neck of the woods...yes. In my neck of the woods....anything north of Westchester is considered "upstate " And New Paltz is only about an hour south of Albany....lol

I know where New Paltz is. My daughter and I spent Labor Day weekend in NYC watching the Red Sox/Yankees. We rode a bus from Plattsburgh down to the Bronx. On the way back we drove by the Orange County Choppers store in Newburgh.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I know where New Paltz is. My daughter and I spent Labor Day weekend in NYC watching the Red Sox/Yankees. We rode a bus from Plattsburgh down to the Bronx. On the way back we drove by the Orange County Choppers store in Newburgh.
That's a long ride to NYC from Plattsburgh...sounds like a nice weekend though. Haven't been to a Yankee game in a year or so....it's so friggin expensive. I've past Newburgh on the Thruway....never stopped there though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's a long ride to NYC from Plattsburgh...sounds like a nice weekend though. Haven't been to a Yankee game in a year or so....it's so friggin expensive. I've past Newburgh on the Thruway....never stopped there though.

It wasn't too bad---$350/person for two games, bus ride, hotel and lunch at Golden Corral.

Newburgh is just off the Thruway on 84. We stopped at an overpriced diner for dinner on our way home.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It wasn't too bad---$350/person for two games, bus ride, hotel and lunch at Golden Corral.

Newburgh is just off the Thruway on 84. We stopped at an overpriced diner for dinner on our way home.
Wow...that's a great price. Last time I went to a Yankee game...we got free field level tickets but between the train ride, the subway, lunch and drinks..still probably spent $200. I'm wrong...I had to go to the dmv in Newburgh when I lost my wallet in New Paltz. I think it's the closest one...except maybe Kingston. I wouldn't go there on a bet....lol.