Tips for feeder driving in the snow...

Johney

Funny, I was thinking last night that I'd rather be driving on road in a snowstorm than in the yard with all the extra casual shifters.
The yard is a dangerous place during Peak.
Don't forget contractors with tractors that are 50' long blocking everything up.:annoyed2:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
a good amount of these guys got their CDL at a Walmart in Alabama and had to borrow the neighbors teeth for the photo !!!

MaceFremonti

Yesterday my assigned tractor was en route so while waiting I had to pull an empty up to dispatch for a contractor to take back to from whence he came. They are not allowed to drive through our yard looking for an empty to take. As I was walking to a shifter the contractor asked me if the empty he was getting was a UPS trailer. Looking at the trailer number dispatch gave me (FSTZxxxxxx) I told him no he was getting an old rust bucket of a trailer. He started cursing and said that he always gets hassled at weigh stations unless he is pulling a trailer that has a UPS shield on it. I asked him why was that and he pointed to his day cab which had a bumper that was half broken, one headlight out, and a cracked windshield...:eek:

I brought his trailer around and dropped it where he had room to hook up. By this time my tractor had arrived so I grabbed my backpack and proceeded to pretrip my tractor. Everything was good to go so I headed off to find my longbox. Driving by the contractor who was now hooked up something didn't look right....getting closer I figured it out...he had jumped the pin and the front of the trailer was up against the back of his day cab!:confused:

I stopped to see if he needed help but no he said he could handle it.....and quote "I've been doing this for twenty years and I know what I'm doing.":rolleyes:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yesterday my assigned tractor was en route so while waiting I had to pull an empty up to dispatch for a contractor to take back to from whence he came. They are not allowed to drive through our yard looking for an empty to take. As I was walking to a shifter the contractor asked me if the empty he was getting was a UPS trailer. Looking at the trailer number dispatch gave me (FSTZxxxxxx) I told him no he was getting an old rust bucket of a trailer. He started cursing and said that he always gets hassled at weigh stations unless he is pulling a trailer that has a UPS shield on it. I asked him why was that and he pointed to his day cab which had a bumper that was half broken, one headlight out, and a cracked windshield...:eek:

I brought his trailer around and dropped it where he had room to hook up. By this time my tractor had arrived so I grabbed my backpack and proceeded to pretrip my tractor. Everything was good to go so I headed off to find my longbox. Driving by the contractor who was now hooked up something didn't look right....getting closer I figured it out...he had jumped the pin and the front of the trailer was up against the back of his day cab!:confused:

I stopped to see if he needed help but no he said he could handle it.....and quote "I've been doing this for twenty years and I know what I'm doing.":rolleyes:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yeah, sounds like he's got a real good handle on things. We call them gypos in our yard. Not all of them, mind you, but most of them, stink, wear sweats that look like they haven't been washed in weeks, and drive around our yard like they are package car drivers running bonus.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: as a union, we should have gave up raises and eliminated so much subcontracting. It's more important for our long term health as a union.

We had an independent on Tuesday that rolled in with a long chassis load from Columbus OH and every pin was unlocked. He had never moved an LC before and had no clue on how the locks worked.
He nearly had a heart attack when I walked him around his mistake.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was helping one of the guys in my center build his 1st set last night. His first pick up is at a catalog warehouse that also ships Fed Ex Ground. He said that everyday this week he has seen a Ground guy make a huge mistake coupling. Couple of 45 foot boxes dropped by the guard shack, 1 forgot to crank up the landing gear and almost pulled them off on the driveway apron. The worst was a set of doubles that broke apart 10 feet from the main road.

A

anonymous6

e="Dracula, post: 1234426, member: 42691"]I only speak from my experience, but ice is the worst. I pull over and wait for salt trucks when I lose traction on roads absent of snow. Having said that, I went through two white knuckle nights this week driving in heavy, heavy fog. I've driven down the same roads for two years now, and that was about my only saving grace. Going 40MPH on the interstate, I could only see two or three digits on the road ahead of me. Give me the snow any day. Unless it's a night time blizzard, you can at least see the road in snow.[/quote]

I agree. rather take snow than dense fog. Friday nite we had a blizzard for the ages. hardly believe Caltrans kept the road open. had max chains on and peddle to the metal to keep from getting stuck cause the plows could not keep up. trucks and four wheelers stuck everywhere. just kept between the left end of the fast lane to get by everyone. slapping the wiper with my beat bar to keep the snow from building up on windshield. too afraid to stop for fear of not getting going again and being buried and left for dead.

god , what a night. ( 16 hrs ) most of us made it to our hubs for our UPS customers.

bluehdmc

Yeah, sounds like he's got a real good handle on things. We call them gypos in our yard. Not all of them, mind you, but most of them, stink, wear sweats that look like they haven't been washed in weeks, and drive around our yard like they are package car drivers running bonus.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: as a union, we should have gave up raises and eliminated so much subcontracting. It's more important for our long term health as a union.

The company would still use subcontractors, they'd just say they had more work than their own drivers could handle. They are paying $29.50 for casuals in North Jersey, say they can't get them. Or the ones that apply can't shift a 10 spd trans.

Johney

The company would still use subcontractors, they'd just say they had more work than their own drivers could handle. They are paying $29.50 for casuals in North Jersey, say they can't get them. Or the ones that apply can't shift a 10 spd trans.
$29.50 and they can't find drivers in Jersey? Wow! What do they pay at McDonalds? $20.00 an hour?

MaceFremonti

Checking the conditions along my run for tomorrow....looks like 500 miles of Ice Road Truckers....this happened close to my run today....
1386553478214.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
My pastor is stranded near Dallas. All of the roads heading north are closed. He said planes were grounded and the passengers were kept on planes overnight because there was no place else for them to stay and at least that way they would be warm.