Tips for feeder driving in the snow...

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
If you have the option of going single in bad weather then leave the empty! Don't be afraid to. Some mgmt. may complain but so what. (most don't) If they do then cite safety concerns which is true. UPS can always move the empties in better weather.

I'll take a set every time especially in bad weather. I'd rather have the extra braking and traction as well as the maneuverability long before I'd take a single.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I carry a block of wood with me in case this happens. I just tilt the 5th wheel and prop it up with the wood. It may slide right out, or may have to still crank it up a little. Better than having to crank a trailer up 2-3 inches in low gear..

Or..........always double check your trailer height and leave the wood at home. You should only skip a fifth wheel once to learn to never do it again.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
A trailer is at the right height or it isn't. There's no room for crap.

He's absolutely right. Not to beat up on anyone, but not checking the trailer height is a good way to fork a dolly into that back trailer. It's way too easy to just assume everything is on the up and up. This is especially important if you do a hero hook-up. It's much easier to get out and check than to have to explain to management why you snake bit the trailer.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'll take a set every time especially in bad weather. I'd rather have the extra braking and traction as well as the maneuverability long before I'd take a single.
ive dropped the rear trailer in bad weather if both are empty. I just tell the boss that it was unsafe and never got into an argument about it.

id rather have a single than a set in the snow especially because we can put singles on the drives instead of 3 railers.

also have the shop check the brake adjustments so that you''ll stop or slow straight instead of seeing the rear trailer come around on you. been there. ha ha

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
not sure if this was brought up. if you have a meet and switch, bring your own wrench if you have to readjust the brakes. ( ask shop how, its easy )

i'll probably get backlash on this but I also bring large wrenches to replace or cut and repair airlines, extra lights, extra light cord, de-icer , hammer, for frozen brakes. and assorted other tools for small fixes.

I'd rather repair myself than wait 4 hours for a tow truck.

also blanket, extra water and snacks for breakdowns. also an overnight kit, bathroom kit and spare clothes if you have to layover. it only happened a couple times for me over the years but it was nice to have this stuff in the tractor.

just like anything else you'll learn from experience.