Tips for new drivers

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I have no idea what you are in for because I haven't worked in that part of the company. But a package driver that went into feeders gave a friend of mine some advice when he was going to bump into package. Go to the route in your personal vehicle and learn the break stops (?). Get the book that helps you learn the diad (?). Talk to the guys who are doing the job. Most of them act like*****but they'll probably help you if you befriend them.

Last edited by a moderator:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
ReRaise hit it on the head. One stop at a time. Be safe and honest. If you make a mistake admit to it. We all make mistakes. Do the job by the methods from the start and you won't have to try to fake it when a sup is on car with you. After time you will have a smooth routine and it will save you time.

over9five

Staff member
One last thing, once you punch out, punch out. Dont take UPS home with you.

d

Excellent advice!

If you feel like crying then cry :D

But never let them see you sweat!!!

- my guess is that packages will simply be "transported" ala Star Trek

Darn technology will put us all out of work!!!

Ignore the fat ones ------they are just feeder drivers:wink2:

Speak for yourself! Haven't gained weight yet!!!

keep back door closed when throwing/kicking pkgs.

Cameras are everywhere!

Post here and let us know how its going. There are alot of good people here who can give a little advice.

So true!

Most of them act like*****but they'll probably help you if you befriend them.

Strange comment....

was that you in that video lol

Oh yeah, most cells can take videos!

Do the job by the methods from the start and you won't have to try to fake it when a sup is on car with you.

More great advice!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
When HR comes and tells you that you will be starting your training turn around and run for your life in the opposite direction. Be careful what you wish for. You don't know it yet but you don't want to be a package car driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When HR comes and tells you that you will be starting your training turn around and run for your life in the opposite direction. Be careful what you wish for. You don't know it yet but you don't want to be a package car driver.

I have to admit, your sob story is really getting old.

You had a bad experience in pkg car--GET OVER IT!!

As for the OP, you have been given some good advice (except for driver). You will do just fine. Dave.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A couple of proverbs have served me well over the years:

"The world moves slow and the ox is patient"

"The nail that sticks up gets hammered down"

Aside from that the best advice on this thread (imho) was not to take the job home with you. Good luck out there.

Lets put it this way.

You are invited to a party of UPS drivers. You dont know one, not one. So when you get there, your sup introduces you to all of them and they to you. All 250 of them. And of course, they all look alike, as they are all wearing brown

Now, right after the party, which you left right after meeting the last driver, I ask you what their names were, in the order you met them.

Would be pretty hard to do, wouldn't it. Only after you spend some time with the group of drivers would you be able to know the main 10%, an as time went on, more. Of course, anything that happens to make a driver really stand out, that name would be remembered earlier.

great advice...well said!

Same thing with a route. You will remember things that stand out pretty quick. But on the first few days, your mind will be on overload.

And believe it or not, the first day on your own is the day you will learn the most. Dont sweat it.

One last thing, once you punch out, punch out. Dont take UPS home with you.

d

pudg00

pudg00
Make sure you know your 5 and 10 cold. Training sup. should test you. In our building you had to recite it to the package operations manager to qualify. One stop at a time is great advice. Pay very close attention to how the sup. organizes packages. I know it is against union rules but go thru you car in the morning and check you airs. A good attitude is your best friend.

Re-Raise

Talk to the guys who are doing the job. Most of them act like*****but they'll probably help you if you befriend them.

I don't know if you have to "befriend them". Your attitude ,however,can be very important in determining how much help they decide to give you.

I would think this would go without saying at any new job, but if you are new you can be the person the veterans want to help or you can be the one they couldn't care less about.

For example if things are going well don't start bragging about it. If you want to get on a driver's bad side just come in talking about how far under you can run his route. Be humble.

Also don't be the guy who doesn't show up for work. We had a new guy call in the two days before Christmas this year, it won't be forgotten.

The new guys I like get all my maps, keys and can call me anytime.
The few I don't like are on their own.

spuman

I just signed up to be a driver going to be getting training soon then probably start driving.. Any tips for newbies? Whats the hardest part about being a driver? Is it hard to find your way around and try finding where each package goes? For some reason i have a feeling of getting lost out there on the road and not know where im going lol thanx

1st thing take your lunch, at some time in the day take a break;preferabley with another driver( or drivers) so you can vent your frustrations,accept you are an under achiever and compare pay checkS!

I WAS TRAINED BY THE BEST AND HIS NAME KENNY RAY

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I have to admit, your sob story is really getting old.

You had a bad experience in pkg car--GET OVER IT!!

I don't think so driver. The package job sucks and this guy needs to be told about the negative aspects. Every coin has two sides . HR gonna tell him that its great. The best thing this guy could do is talk with drivers at his building that have been doing it for a long time and ask them one simple question....... "your job as a package car driver, love it or hate it?" I used to tell the part timers to take this poll and it was always more hates than loves . And the reason is the job blows and isn't getting any better .... EVER.

I will always try to do the unknowing what could be the biggest favor of their lives and steer them clear of a job that is not worth being involved with. So guess what smartass -- get used to it!!!!

City Driver

I don't think so driver. The package job sucks and this guy needs to be told about the negative aspects. Every coin has two sides . HR gonna tell him that its great. The best thing this guy could do is talk with drivers at his building that have been doing it for a long time and ask them one simple question....... "your job as a package car driver, love it or hate it?" I used to tell the part timers to take this poll and it was always more hates than loves . And the reason is the job blows and isn't getting any better .... EVER.

I will always try to do the unknowing what could be the biggest favor of their lives and steer them clear of a job that is not worth being involved with. So guess what smartass -- get used to it!!!!

alot of jobs suck....being a package car driver seems very physical, but there are many very physical jobs out there....but what there isnt alot of is jobs that pay close to $30 an hour

W

want to retire

Hello everyone, while I'm new to this forum, I have 28 years with the Company. 8 years non operation/15 years package/5 years feeder. The non operation years were like real life: normal hours and a REAL lunch break. My newbie experience as a package driver was a change to put it mildly. A whole different company. Your success will depend really on a few things. How much do you want to be a package driver? Want that good money? If you're just in it for the money, you won't be happy. I had 8 years with the Co. and was forced to drive(or leave the Co.)(due to oper. changes). Knowing now...I'd never become a package driver. The hardest thing for me to accept was the outright manipulation of time and the dishonesty from management(time, allowances etc.). Your acceptance of the "system" will make you successful. Accept: you will be run to exhaustion. Forget about a break( you take that hour lunch for the forseeable future and you will be hopelessly behind). It will be a long time before you get "good at it". Negative? Maybe. But then again, I never wanted to be a package driver. Realize this: You are always being watched(in all repects). OJS, records, secretely, vehicle.... Don't ever be dishonest(see above). Own up to your errors, mistakes, accidents. Dishonesty(as always) is the quickest way to lose your job. Your best effort will quite often not be good enough. Your job set up is calculated by a computer and does not consider intangibles(unknowns). The Co. doesn't recognize these either. Your day will be full of delays, changes and all manner of non-recognized things. Your job is to be able to make it all fit in the allowed time. Your success depends on how good a juggler you really are(at least initially). Time on the area will make it easier. Remember supervisors get paid (and get to keep their jobs) to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the drivers. On the other hand.....maybe you are happy go lucky and roll with anything. Good for you. A professional attitude will make you a better driver. A few comments on what a few others have said: about the driving your area off the clock. This is WRONG. It is the same as the Co. expecting you to work through your lunch and set up your car prework and post. See above about dishonesty and time manipulation. You are not salaried. You should not have to buy any maps, supplies etc. You should be able to learn the job in the given amount of time. Still want to be a package driver? Good luck. It can be done and is all the time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm suprised you made 28 years, WTR. With such a negative attitude toward UPS one would think you would have left a long time ago. Obviously if you stuck it out for 28 years with such a crappy attitude, then it must have been all about the money for you. Maybe you should make way for someone who would appreciate the job a little more and the opportunities that UPS affords them. Especially since you state you were forced in to doing jobs that you never wanted to do. Maybe you forgot that the door you walked in in the morning to punch in also swings the other way. No one made you stay with UPS. You chose UPS and you chose to stay. Now maybe it's time for another choice in your life. Enjoy your retirement.

W

want to retire

I can't disagree about anything you've said. Guilty as charged. However, life is vastly more complicated. You are a Homer. I'm not. I actually envy folks like you. A compliment. Retirement benefits are part of your pay package and you have to stay to receive them. Opinons are well like(insert favorite).... You could look at things in a different way. While I might be negative, I'm hopeful. Perhaps opportunities will come your way....like being able to transfer, apply for other positions, move, be promoted without selling your soul. These are things that could be. Now about money......would you do it for say half the pay? No benefits? Yes, I stay because it pays very well. I could tell you about having to stay for 32 years because part time years don't count towards retirement. If I leave now, I'll only get 25 years pay($2500) less $500 because I'm only 47 and no benefits. I just earned my A&P and will be a mechanic in my "retirement". Shame I couldn't stay with the Co. without having to quit. Negative?.....just the way it is. The Co. could be so much better in many ways. BTW are you in Management? Folks "like" you seem to get promoted. That is not an insult.