tips on how to have a "positive" timestudy ride

Hangingon

Then what explains the fact that every center time study manages to lose an average of half an hour per route? I have a hard time understanding how with 3 different time commits, PU's being completed within 15 mins of the time in the board, OW's and that damn pottery barn OS's my mar on my route is almost double what it was 10 years ago.
Yes, BTW, our center seems to get extra time studies so we average 1 every 2 to 3 years. The last time when I lost 35 mins I asked if we could compare the present study to the previous one (I always ask to see what the response will be). I was told that there was an unfortunate accident and the warehouse with the records burned down. I'll give him credit for thinking fast on his feet.

wornoutupser

Vette,
I have no faith in Time Studies.

The last one that I had was over 15 years ago. The run had grown out of a P-5 and was filling a P-8 everyday.

At the end of the day, the TSO told me that I had the best methods that he had ever seen. I asked to see HIS records, and he cheated me two stops during the day. I pointed that out, and I was told that it would not be fixed.
In spite of having the best methods that he had seen and having been cheated two stops during the day, the run was tightened even though I was averaging almost 30 minutes over every day.

Also, we are not allowed to have times studies in Central Florida (at least that is what we are told).

We have to live with allowances based on what our supervisors punch in as what they think we should be doing. There is no control as to how much they can adjust our allowances at any given time.

See why drivers down here do not care? PAS is not even here yet!

over9five

Staff member
Wait till PAS comes....

WITHOUT any new time study at all, you will be expected to do 10 more stops without increasing your time at all.

No joke. It will be the first thing they tell you.
(Then they'll tell you this will be no problem cuz you got PAS).

PAS plus 20 months here. It still sucks.

brownstone

One thing that can help your Time Allowance is to clear your vehicle after every stop. After all you wouldn't want to run any little kids over. You have every right to walk around your vehicle after every stop. Also if a business has SDN's, take the extra time to find someone for a signature. Time studies are total BS anyways. To get an accurate time study, they just need to use a rolling average.

twowheeled

think about it. It's all about the area. It has nothing to do with the driver. Longer walkways result in more time. but, think again! how does an area that has not had it's walkways shorten, curbs moved closer to the house, or houses moved closer together - while packages have gotten larger, more cumbersome, heavier, with more walking inside the longer trucks, possibly lose anytime!!!! Ever!!! it's all rationale:cool: and BS. Just do your job safely and never look at the payroll!! It's nothing more than self imposed pressure!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have tired of trying to figure out during the day how many sporh I am doing and at the end of the day knowing the next day they will ask me "what happened".
It takes what it takes.
I do not want to stay out in the bad neighborhoods at night.
I would not be there for any reason other than I have to. You could not pay me enough to drive around there in my own car, but to keep my job I must.
Its not coz I am slow, or Im milking the clock, its coz thats how long it took that day.
I have resorted to getting sigs at many as they seem to "disappear", even when I go to the back door and meet the rotweiller to leave it. And I am tired of having follow ups when you darn well know its coz they maxed out the new credit card already.

If it takes longer it does, but you did it safely, by the methods, and you didnt get hurt or have an accident. That is what we are hired to do, work as a professional.

david426

Time studies are not just a one day deal. The IE dept will look at the time study for that day and then look at the next five days to see what your numbers look like. The last time study we had in Dallas was in 1992. I shaved almost 1 hour off my Time Study. After the new numbers were applied, I was happy. Two weeks went bye and I was running 100 clicks under scratch everyday. On the 3 week my numbers drastically changed. I was running an hour or more over allowed with the same number of stops, getting in at the same time. I guess I was not supposed to bonus like that, so IE changed the numbers back to what they were before the time study. Some poor guy in IE probably good his butt ripped for me running 100 clicks under. Don't worry about anything except your paid day. I learned that a long long time ago.

OldUPSDriver

rckfrd98 said:
bring half your country stops back the day before your t.s. and park on the road do not drive uo to the house
They'll catch you on that dumb advice. The lower the on area miles the better the allowance.

true_1_ace

I dont think there is a positive time study,they are there to make sure you have enough work not to little,and like most senority drivers we just laugh and say "I'm not afraid to miss, load me up" when push comes to shove, any management can change or alter anytime study time allowance in the computer ,so dont worry be happy and remember fatigue sets in after 8 hrs so slow down and enjoy the overtime ,I do:thumbup1:

Last edited:

YAKMASTA

its amazing these trime study's havent been done in my center in 10 years and now they are running 50% of the building like its actually going to make a difference....
they will continue to overload us and they cry when we bang out its nothing but organized slavery !!! then they wonder why the comp rate is so high we are only human and the body does eventually break down in 5 years ive been onb comp 4 times and am already into a knee surgery !!!!

true_1_ace

Toonertoo sais it best "If it takes longer it does, but you did it safely, by the methods, and you didnt get hurt or have an accident. That is what we are hired to do, work as a professional "
these are the keys to the job ,dont kill yourself .as a senior driver we constantly tell the new guys to slow down but I think this comes in yrs of service .no supervisor can yell at you for going at a pace that is safe ,if your overworked request a ride ,if a ride is denied tell the union:thumbup1:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
ups_vette said:
Ace....Being a senor driver and telling a new driver to "slow down" is one sure way to become an EX DRIVER.

One of the stupider things I've heard today.
Are you suggesting that it's the senior driver's job to tell the new guys to speed up? We are well rid of you.

ups_vette

Jones, ..You would be well advised to read the mutually agreeded to Contract between UPS and the Teamsters Union. Take especial note on the section that deals with illeagle work stoppage and "slow downs".

I regret you don't have the intelligence to understand that causing a slow down is an offence punishable by discharge. I'm sure you have other qualities, though I'm hard pressed to think of any from your comment, that may make you a minimum acceptable employee of UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
UPS Vette,

Are you really that much of a maroon that you failed to understand what Ace was saying? Or are you just a complete jerkoff who the company is well rid off? From your sorry commentary, I suspect the latter.

Telling a new driver to slowdown and work safely does not constitute a work stoppage, or even a slowdown. 90% of the auto accidents in our building involve new drivers who are pushing the pace at the expense of safety, no doubt encouraged by jerkoffs like yourself.

We are a better company without you. I suspect the real "going away" party was held the day after you left :wink:.

true_1_ace

you know thats the problem with some supevisors they think we as drivers are all out to dog it! well let me set you strait ,there is no such thing as a UPS driver who'S a dogger ,In my opinion the only job available in UPS for those who don't like to work is that of a supervisor job and in case you want to look that one up ,dont bother ,I am allowed to voice my opinion on and off the job:w00t:

and yes It was stated as a safty issue, not a get back at UPs thing notice it sais by the methods in Toonertoo quote!!

Last edited:

ups_vette

Jones..

Your obsessive references to jerkoff is a sign of your deep seeded perverted sexual desire for persons of the male gender, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Were you a priest before working for UPS?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The last resort of the imbecile who has been beaten and has nothing left to say: Take a transparent and pathetic jab at the other person's sexuality.

Move along folks, nothing more to see here :biggrin: