Tips on Loading Package Trucks

jaker

trolling
Right truck , right spot , big stuff on the floor , bulk stops on the floor and do not stack a 40lb box on top of a 2lb and hope it stays there

P.s.
it doesn't

DriverMD

I like when loaders put all the airs in the cab. Try and keep the bulk stops together, and let me know if you purposely put something out of place

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Right truck , right spot , big stuff on the floor , bulk stops on the floor and do not stack a 40lb box on top of a 2lb and hope it stays there

P.s.
it doesn't
Enough said, main point: try not to misload and pull the split off with accuracy .

oldngray

nowhere special
Our loaders put all the airs behind the cars, other than the airs for rear-loaded bulk stops, which are loaded with the stop.

Airs behind the cars are the quickest best way for the drivers there is always some efficiency expert who thinks it saves time to have the airs in the load. It takes the driver at least 3 times as long digging through the load to find them, not even counting the misloads or times he needs to give away stops to an air driver.

HBGPreloader

Even though the whiny drivers are the ones that actually deliver the crap to make sure you get paid.;)
Ya, and without us loaders, sorters, etc you would be driving around in empty trucks :)

Seriously, we have enough problems to deal with - poor training, incompetent supervisors, ridiculous production expectations, etc the last thing your loader wants to hear is you complaining about your load quality.

If you want these loaders to to get better, do like my drivers did when I started on their routes - they came in a few minutes early and to discuss the route. They noted the problems, PITA stops and how to best address them.

HBGPreloader

The whiny ones are actually the ones who care deep down.
I wish that were true of all the whiny drivers.

Just recently I had to deal with one jerk that did nothing but complain because he was bounced from his bid route to the car I was loading.

The guy stood around for ~15-20 minutes, while on the clock, doing nothing but mouthing off to me because he had more seniority than the other driver.

Quite frankly I don't care about nonsense like that because I'm just trying to get the car loaded. And, listening to him whine just insured that I got the car loaded a quickly as possible - regardless of load quality (edited to add ) - just to get away from him.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ya, and without us loaders, sorters, etc you would be driving around in empty trucks :)

Seriously, we have enough problems to deal with - poor training, incompetent supervisors, ridiculous production expectations, etc the last thing your loader wants to hear is you complaining about your load quality.

If you want these loaders to to get better, do like my drivers did when I started on their routes - they came in a few minutes early and to discuss the route. They noted the problems, PITA stops and how to best address them.
If it's a valid complaint...I'll listen. I'd rather hear it from the driver so I can fix it...than listen to it 3rd hand from my center manager...who doesn't remember what the problem was...just that there was one.

If it's a BS "I have too many stops and somehow that's my loader's fault" so I'm gonna piss and moan....you can bite me.

HBGPreloader

Too many stops, ridiculous bulk stops, etc are nothing we loaders have no control over.

Making matters worse, the supervisors don't care and management's answer is "make it work".

The way I try to load is all air goes either in a tote on the 1000 shelf or on the same shelf next to the tote. If it's air for a rear door stop, I'll either keep them out until the end or keep them as close to the rear door as possible.

Anything over 60# goes on the floor, ideally in numerical order - on the side it's supposed to be.

Over 70's stay on the floor, towards the back of car - if there is room. And, if there is room, I'll hide over 70's under the rear door stops - unless they're air or coming off sooner.

All stops are, ideally, kept together. So, if I'm getting 6 packages for one stop and 3 or 4 are bulky, I'll put all 6 on the floor.

Finally, if it's a ridiculous bulk stop, it will get loaded up the center, leaving ~3' near the cab so the driver can still get to his air. And, if there is any air with the rear door stops, I'll try to leave room to get those stops off, completely, before the bulk stop too.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Too many stops, ridiculous bulk stops, etc are nothing we loaders have no control over.

Making matters worse, the supervisors don't care and management's answer is "make it work".

The way I try to load is all air goes either in a tote on the 1000 shelf or on the same shelf next to the tote. If it's air for a rear door stop, I'll either keep them out until the end or keep them as close to the rear door as possible.

Anything over 60# goes on the floor, ideally in numerical order - on the side it's supposed to be.

Over 70's stay on the floor, towards the back of car - if there is room. And, if there is room, I'll hide over 70's under the rear door stops - unless they're air or coming off sooner.

All stops are, ideally, kept together. So, if I'm getting 6 packages for one stop and 3 or 4 are bulky, I'll put all 6 on the floor.

Finally, if it's a ridiculous bulk stop, it will get loaded up the center, leaving ~3' near the cab so the driver can still get to his air. And, if there is any air with the rear door stops, I'll try to leave room to get those stops off, completely, before the bulk stop too.

Can you come over to the runout belt and load my car please?!?! We could really use you over there. ;)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

First of all, not that long before I started, drivers did load their own cars.

Second, in all my 34+ years driving, I never once wrote a loader up (remember the old misload cards?). I always tried to work with my loaders. Sometimes it worked, other times not so much.

Now, go help out Cement.;)

HBGPreloader

First of all, not that long before I started, drivers did load their own cars.

Second, in all my 34+ years driving, I never once wrote a loader up (remember the old misload cards?). I always tried to work with my loaders. Sometimes it worked, other times not so much.

Now, go help out Cement.;)
Wow, you're old :)

The misload cards are before my time.

IMHO, there are times when you're better off writing up the loaders for whatever the reason is. This is especially important when it comes down to load quality because...

(I can't type this part with a straight face)

...when you are having problems with loaders and it's effecting your performance, it needs to be documented so management can do something.

More importantly though, it gives the union the tools and data to pressure management to either fix the problem or get off your backs.

Wow, you're old :)

The misload cards are before my time.

IMHO, there are times when you're better off writing up the loaders for whatever the reason is. This is especially important when it comes down to load quality because...

(I can't type this part with a straight face)

...when you are having problems with loaders and it's effecting your performance, it needs to be documented so management can do something.

More importantly though, it gives the union the tools and data to pressure management to either fix the problem or get off your backs.
Cosmo,used a chalkboard.