Tired and feeling sick often when on vacation

mike1646

It usually strikes when you're close to retirement, then you don't retire. UPS is like a drug, can't get away from it.

clean hairy

The tired part could be the body getting some rest from the daily grind.
Hmmm.... Kids get Homesick when they go to Summer Camp for a week.
Maybe you subconciously (sp?) are missing work and it makes you work sick being away from work for a week?

onehandsolo

Actually I did some research. There is a medicinal term for it. It is called leisure sickness. It happens to people in high stress jobs. Your body produces hormones to combat the stress and physical demands from work. When you have time of work your body stops producing these hormones and it is very similar to steroid withdrawal.

rod

Retired 22 years
It usually strikes when you're close to retirement, then you don't retire. UPS is like a drug, can't get away from it.

That's what Upstate has been saying about me all these years. Maybe secretly I want to come back-------------------------------------------------------------nah -----I don't think so.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Hi I have been working at ups for almost 28 years. 23 as a driver. Over the last 8 years or so I have notice that I am often sick and tired while on vacation.

I wonder if this happens to other Upsers as well. Maybe my body finally gets a chance to slow down which causes me to notice a lot of aches and pains. Maybe I just need to learn how to relax when of work.
Im just the opposite, body feels great when on vacation. 2 days in back from vacation they all come back and im reminded im getting older and these idiots are beating the hell out of me again. Shouldnt be hard to relax per say on vacation, if you cant then you must like the job while the rest of us hate the job. I have to stay busy while on vacation and do stuff but im not killing myself 1 bit physically and sleep in everyday like a mother and get some rest lol.

Fragile

Look into a new mattress.

Seriously though, this job is extremely physically demanding and we are very active at work.

Join a gym, bike, etc... you'll feel healthier when you are off and you'll remain active when you retire.

If you have children, do it with them, or a significant other, get the entire family involved.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Hi I have been working at ups for almost 28 years. 23 as a driver. Over the last 8 years or so I have notice that I am often sick and tired while on vacation.

I wonder if this happens to other Upsers as well. Maybe my body finally gets a chance to slow down which causes me to notice a lot of aches and pains. Maybe I just need to learn how to relax when of work.

32 years

My problem is just the opposite; I never feel good unless I'm on vacation.

...and when I retire, step aside Maslov, I'm coming through!

upload_2015-11-5_5-51-16.jpeg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Funny you should say this. On Christmas morning when I had small children at home, without a doubt I would be sick, laying on the couch trying to participate. My husband always says I get sick only on weekends, holidays, and vacations. Never miss work. This syndrome sucks.

Rainman

Its all good.
I think we notice things more when we are off. We aren't pushing our bodies like we do when we are working because we know it isn't necessary. When we are working, we just grit our teeth and do it. I don't get sick while off, but I do have migraines more often while on vacation compared to when I'm working.

barnyard

KTM rider
Get a motorcycle, go racing. That will give your body the adrenaline it craves. If not a road bike, get a dirt bike. If motorcycles are too scary, get a bicycle and race that. Racing gives you a rush that will fix all that ails you.