tired of junk equipment

City Driver

what does it take to get equipment fixed?

i was in the yard alot today, jockey trucks......we use 3, 1 is actually nice and newer.........

but the rest are junk.......the one i was in today has a horrible air leak.....i mean bad......every single time i would back into a door i would have to stop to build air presure before i could pull out

i understand if i didnt use the brake so much it wouldnt be bad.....but thats not a sacrifice im willing to make, i shouldnt have to do that, in my opinion when backing up its best to go as slow as possible so if u do bump a trailer u wont do any damage

i had to put a pup between 2 vans once and lost so much air pressure that the wheels locked up twice before i could even get it in

and the other one, the 5th wheel platform raises and lowers by itself.....so when u pick up a trailer and raise it a few inches like normal, as u drive it goes up all the way, and they go pretty high

it dumps freight everywhere

they refuse to fix either of these trucks and im getting tired of driving them......i know most jockey trucks have this problem but on these 2 trucks the mirrors shake so bad they are absolutely worthless, whether u are on the fuel off it or on the brake they serve no purpose at all

we have a huge shortage of vans so they strip 12-15 vans per night and put the freight onto our already way to small dock......and dont even get me started on our city tractors

sorry had to rant.....i guess im done now

Simple,red tag the shifters. YOU are the one ultimately responsible for your and anyone elses safety. If they refuse to properly fix them then drop the dime and call OSHA or your Canadian equivalent.

City Driver

well the one with the horrible air leak isnt really safety related in my opinion, but the one that raises itself is because it makes the center of gravity higher and is more likely to roll over

well the one with the horrible air leak isnt really safety related in my opinion, but the one that raises itself is because it makes the center of gravity higher and is more likely to roll over
Air leaks the affect the vehicles operation are. man up and stop driving the stuff. In our yard the minute we found it leaking like that it would be parked at the shop before the next move. If you have a crash because of this YOU will be at fault in the eyes of UPS so why screw around.

City Driver

Air leaks the affect the vehicles operation are. man up and stop driving the stuff. In our yard the minute we found it leaking like that it would be parked at the shop before the next move. If you have a crash because of this YOU will be at fault in the eyes of UPS so why screw around.

it gets wrote up everyday and of course nothing happens

i dont jockey everyday and when i do its either hit the yard or go home....ill take the overtime

bluehdmc

What does your shop steward say? An audible air leak when stepping on the brake pedal would be an "out of service" violation at a DOT road inspection. Don't let them BS you and say "you're only using it in the yard", are there license plates on it? (a lot of shifters have plates because they cross public streets. Call OSHA, or anyone else you can think of. As previously said if you got in any kind of accident, (take a mirror off a truck, anything like that, there tune would change from, "you're only using it in the yard to, 'Why are you operating a piece of equipment you know is unsafe?"
In package operations all shifters are supposed to be pre-tripped and post-tripped at the beginning and end of your shift.
Don't think package equipment is any better, a lot of tractors have over 1million miles on them, seats are broken, I've seen body work by duct tape, and a nice pretty coat of paint. Looks good from 50 ft away, the shifters can be no better. I wrote a shifter up for grabby brakes, they told me to use a tractor for yard moves. 15 minutes later I saw another driver in the shifter, I asked him what he was using it for since I "red tagged" it. He said that's what they told him to use, he brought it back down and red tagged it. They don't care about you, all they care about is getting the trailers moved around, and if any thing goes wrong they'll try to blame you. If you feel it is unsafe to use, ask them in writing to say it is. On a package piece of equipment the Driver Vehicle Inspection Report has a spot on it for the mechanic to sign off for something to be "okay to use", get them to sign off on it.

What does your shop steward say? An audible air leak when stepping on the brake pedal would be an "out of service" violation at a DOT road inspection. Don't let them BS you and say "you're only using it in the yard", are there license plates on it? (a lot of shifters have plates because they cross public streets. Call OSHA, or anyone else you can think of. As previously said if you got in any kind of accident, (take a mirror off a truck, anything like that, there tune would change from, "you're only using it in the yard to, 'Why are you operating a piece of equipment you know is unsafe?"
In package operations all shifters are supposed to be pre-tripped and post-tripped at the beginning and end of your shift.
Don't think package equipment is any better, a lot of tractors have over 1million miles on them, seats are broken, I've seen body work by duct tape, and a nice pretty coat of paint. Looks good from 50 ft away, the shifters can be no better. I wrote a shifter up for grabby brakes, they told me to use a tractor for yard moves. 15 minutes later I saw another driver in the shifter, I asked him what he was using it for since I "red tagged" it. He said that's what they told him to use, he brought it back down and red tagged it. They don't care about you, all they care about is getting the trailers moved around, and if any thing goes wrong they'll try to blame you. If you feel it is unsafe to use, ask them in writing to say it is. On a package piece of equipment the Driver Vehicle Inspection Report has a spot on it for the mechanic to sign off for something to be "okay to use", get them to sign off on it.

I wouldn`t have just the mechanic,get the managers Hancock also. If it is serious enough not even Jesus can sign it off and make you use it.

City Driver

its funny you bring up the shop steward because its his assigned truck

all he says is "they wont fix it.....not now probably never...so if it takes me 3 times as long to get the job done then so be it"

raceanoncr

Well, it is safety related. Most do not know, and you won't hear or find this in any UPS manual, that yard jockeys or shifters are under the same DOT rules as road drivers. What?

Your tractor or yard jockey is the same as a road tractor and must maintain air pressure.

The fifth wheel plate is also a safety issue. If your "steward" is driving this, he needs to be replaced in addition to the tractor.

You are under the same DOT HOS rules as road drivers. HUH? Believe it or not, constant shifting in some yards can constitute "on-road-driving".

My driving partner's got a DOT "big book" that explains all this and more and even plays out scenarios.

City Driver

ive never logged yard time as driving because if i work 8 hours in the yard i can only drive for 3 hours after that, it will limit my hours

ive never logged yard time as driving because if i work 8 hours in the yard i can only drive for 3 hours after that, it will limit my hours

Oh,well you didn`t say that. Then go ahead and drive the junk cause everyone know safety only comes into play if you drive the required amount of hours.

trickpony1

Tell management you aren't comfortable using the shifter and shift in a road tractor.

I assume your road tractors have power steering, FM radios, A/C and mirrors that don't vibrate so bad you can see where you're backing.

Nothing says you have to use the shifter to move trailers......and you aren't refusing to work or abandoning your job by using a road tractor. I do it all the time when my assigned shifter isn't available.

Any questions?

City Driver

we usually dont have any available to be honest

but u dont mind cranking the landing gear and pullin 5th wheel handles all night? seems like a pain in the ass

trickpony1

we usually dont have any available to be honest

but u dont mind cranking the landing gear and pullin 5th wheel handles all night? seems like a pain in the ass

.....the legs don't get cranked all the way up just to move it from point A to point B in the yard.

We also have pin pullers to pull the fifth wheel latch. This allows the driver to keep his exertion in his "power zone".

Safety first, you know.

City Driver

the problem is our yard is to tight for that, put a pup between pups or a van between vans u cant get in between to crank the landing gear....you have to crank it down then back up dragging the landing gear

and if u are in a pup next to a van its even worse

trickpony1

I have been known to housemail a photocopy of the DVIR to the Automotive Manager expressing my concerns.

Things seem to get fixed pretty quick for some reason..........

City Driver

no hes pretty much worthless, he sits outside and smokes half his shift

we have about half as many mechanics as we need....seems all they care about is maintenance, they never want to fix anything, just maintain it

doesnt make sense to me

dragracer66

Bottom line is, if its written up under saftey and its not signed off when you start your day YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE IT!!!! Plain and simple. If the shop refuses to repair it go tell your manager and sit in his office untill its repaired. Your just as much as fault for using when it has a saftey issue because you already have set the precedent by using it with a saftey write up. We keep our wagons up to the same standards as our tractors are in my building.....