Tired of the Comparison between Package and Freight!

With 240000 ups employees and only 13000 of them being UPS Freight Drivers, I doubt it.
So are you saying package drivers are better?

No, I said "Did freight make what we made before UPS bought the company?" The squiggly thing on the end means someone is asking a question.
As far as Package car drivers being better than Freight the only ones that could answer that are ones that have done both jobs. If you feel insecure about your position therapists are covered under our health plan.
Besides, I'm in Feeder and we're better than all the rest anyway. :)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Trust me, we also already no that. Lol BUT we are the highest paid in our profession. (LTL) Name another LTL company that is making more. The first contract gave us raises to catch us up AND put us ahead of the rest. Trust me I'm not saying beleave everything ups tells us, I think we all no better then that.

​It seems UPS delivered (pun intended) on their acquisition "promises".

Freight is treated as a different company within UPS.
Freight has the ability to tell UPS Corporate "NO" when it comes to proposed changes in their operations and systems.
​The reason for that is that UPS Freight is a separate cost center and operating unit and they have to be profitable.
​It is in the LTL and TL business and is already a higher cost provider.
I don't see how UPS Freight drivers total compensation can be increased without UPS Small Package transferring money to UPS Freight to prop them up.
I can almost guarantee you that will not happen.

JMO based on my observations from the sidelines and the "real" financial relationship between UPS and UPS Freight.

I did a copy and paste from another post I did because you had the same thing on there.
Unless I'm misunderstandings you, if I am sorry. But ups freight makes a good profit, they have bought quite a bit of equipment, (tractors,trailers,dolleys) and has still shown a decent profit. I think there are a lot bigger issues with this contract to worry about then raises. Ups doesn't need to transfer money or prop us up to make it. Overnite stayed in business for as long as they did for a reason. Ups didn't buy us to bail us out they bought us because they new it was a good company. Like I said there are a lot bigger issues with this contract than pay.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I did a copy and paste from another post I did because you had the same thing on there.
Unless I'm misunderstandings you, if I am sorry. But ups freight makes a good profit, they have bought quite a bit of equipment, (tractors,trailers,dolleys) and has still shown a decent profit. I think there are a lot bigger issues with this contract to worry about then raises. Ups doesn't need to transfer money or prop us up to make it. Overnite stayed in business for as long as they did for a reason. Ups didn't buy us to bail us out they bought us because they new it was a good company. Like I said there are a lot bigger issues with this contract than pay.

So the issues have nothing to do with expenditures by UPS Freight to pay for some desired benefit?
I assumed it was wages, pension or health care or some other benefit.
I would be sincerely interested in understanding the issues.

renegade313

..it`s kind`a apples and oranges...freight is the big stuff,the sweat boxes the small..and common sense tells you can get so many more customers in a package car or even on trailers...so its not rocket science package runs rings around freight as far as revenue is concerned. But a freight driver moves the weight...probably that package car and its packages...again its apples and oranges.....but my freight friends you are the highest paid drivers out there be proud of that....one day package will be on one end and freight on the other....we may never see it but it`ll happen we are already mirroring package....

So the issues have nothing to do with expenditures by UPS Freight to pay for some desired benefit?
I assumed it was wages, pension or health care or some other benefit.
I would be sincerely interested in understanding the issues.

For one, pension - our pension was based on a calculation which ups did not start it was always that way when it was overnite and ups decided to take that away and make it $105 straight across the board. For road drivers that's a huge kick in the ass. 2nd. Health care, that doesn't bother ME to bad because if you look at company's across the country I think we have it pretty well BUT some people are not happy because the plan is going to cost a little more and when you look at other union company's (yellow, abf, ups) they pay nothing on premiums why should we? I can see there point also. But the much bigger issues are contractors hauling our freight, its not worded at all to protect us and our freight. We have seen drivers not work threw the first five years and it doesn't look any different with this new contract. To make it worse they want to add another division which will have drivers making 42-44 cents a mile and that isn't worded for **** either (to protect us and our runs or freight). Like I said the whole contract has a lot of holes in it.

Overpaid Union Thug

My only complaint about the two being compared (or is it confusion instead?) is when it causes us package car drivers to get sent to pickup a 195 pound engine that is sitting in a crate.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For one, pension - our pension was based on a calculation which ups did not start it was always that way when it was overnite and ups decided to take that away and make it $105 straight across the board. For road drivers that's a huge kick in the ass. 2nd. Health care, that doesn't bother ME to bad because if you look at company's across the country I think we have it pretty well BUT some people are not happy because the plan is going to cost a little more and when you look at other union company's (yellow, abf, ups) they pay nothing on premiums why should we? I can see there point also. But the much bigger issues are contractors hauling our freight, its not worded at all to protect us and our freight. We have seen drivers not work threw the first five years and it doesn't look any different with this new contract. To make it worse they want to add another division which will have drivers making 42-44 cents a mile and that isn't worded for **** either (to protect us and our runs or freight). Like I said the whole contract has a lot of holes in it.

Thanks.
I have picked up on the contractor issue since my post.
The other two I was not aware of.
​Thanks for the clarification.

dragracer66

It's 2 different companies being run 2 different ways. UPS bought a freight company who's employees were making less wages. Why would they just start paying you top UPS rate? It makes total business sense to keep it that way. I'm not saying its right by any means but think about it if you owned the company you wouldn't do the same? Here is something else to think about. UPS could shut the doors on UPS freight and move all the work to small package. Then where would you be then. They have enough drivers and equipment to do it and the customer would never see a difference. Hell at my building UPS hires layed off freight drivers during peak season.....

Roadrunner73

It's 2 different companies being run 2 different ways. UPS bought a freight company who's employees were making less wages. Why would they just start paying you top UPS rate? It makes total business sense to keep it that way. I'm not saying its right by any means but think about it if you owned the company you wouldn't do the same? Here is something else to think about. UPS could shut the doors on UPS freight and move all the work to small package. Then where would you be then. They have enough drivers and equipment to do it and the customer would never see a difference. Hell at my building UPS hires layed off freight drivers during peak season.....

If this contract passes you will have a lot of underemployed road drivers to put to work during the busy season. None will be laid off, just not working. No definition of when a lay off is to occur nor any protection for a road driver's job. To be coming to a local P&D driver near you in the not so distant future.

Oh BTW, I am not looking for UPS package money, benefits, or anything else. Just maintaining my job would be good enough for me.

Shooter

The thing you guys forget is that 2 small package Trailers can hold more revenue than 20 freight trailers and I'm not talking about a little difference I'm talking a huge deference. I've worked for small package (Hub Hog and that really sucked) and now work for freight you just can't expect small package to keep us running at some point and time we have to be able to make a profit, instead of wages you need to worry about getting rid of the contractors and not just putting uniforms on them, if we don't get rid of them you can make a 100.00 dollars an hour cause you won't be working anyway.........just sayin IMO