Ti's the Season to be Jolly...the positive aspects of working here during peak?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Ti's the Season to be Jolly...what are the positive aspects of working here during peak?

I know it's a challenge, but can we think only in positive terms?

During a time of year when most businesses, other than retail become slow, and during a time of record (since the 30s) unemployment, economic uncertainty, and layoffs, what are the positives of working for Big Brown during peak season?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My positive (singular) has nothing to do with any of the things that you mentioned.

This happened a couple of years ago. I was delivering a very large package to a young mother with two small children. The box had a big picture of what was inside it--I think it was one of those battery-operated cars that kids can drive--and I didn't want the kids to see it. Now, I could have just left it by the door and went on my way but I knew that doing so would have spoiled the surprise for the children. I left the box on the PC for a moment, knocked on the door, told her what I had and asked her to keep the kids away from the windows while my helper put the pkg in their garage. Sure, it took a few minutes, but it meant the world to her.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I enjoy the sense of teamwork and cameraderie that peak seems to bring out in the workplace. Its too bad it all seems to go down the toilet once peak season is over.

labels_up

Box slinger
I'm a P/T sorter, so I like the chance to make extra money with the longer nights (especially if my split out is screwed up) and work a few double shifts. Also there's is a certain satisfaction in having a long night and being able to hang around til the last trailer feeling like you can still hang in there and kick ass.

bigbrownhen

Good for you Upstate..I have done the same thing as well. I try to hide the pics on boxes if I can up against the house, or like you if they are home, knock first and see if they want to hide in the garage or something. We tend to get tunnel vision about how long our day is gonna be and such. So to do something nice for someone will make your day a little brighter.

When you are walking up a driveway at about 7:45 pm to make a delivery and you see the families spending time together and you can't because its peak that's logistics. Opps that's another thread sorry.

bigbrownhen

Oh come on guys... positive stuff. I have a few elderly duplex complexes on my route. I just love delivering the gifts to them from relatives. I always tell them they raised the kids right if they are recieving the Harry and David or Omaha steak stuff. I may be working til 9pm, but what I delivered is the highlight of someones day sometimes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love it as long as my energy level holds up.
I love the lights, the people seem happier, and I do the same a Upstate, if its unwrapped I check to see if they want to hide kids eyes.
I will not let long hrs kill my enthusiasm. Although I think it is way too commercialized, I enjoy having friends over, decorating, and Christmas music.
And enjoying what the season is really all about. The birth of Christ, and joy for all his children.
And Crown royal and Black Velvet.