Ti's the Season to be Jolly...the positive aspects of working here during peak?

brownedout

Ti's the Season to be Jolly...what are the positive aspects of working here during peak?

I know it's a challenge, but can we think only in positive terms?

During a time of year when most businesses, other than retail become slow, and during a time of record (since the 30s) unemployment, economic uncertainty, and layoffs, what are the positives of working for Big Brown during peak season?

NONE!
Sorry, can't do it.
Once again, none.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Oh come on guys... positive stuff. I have a few elderly duplex complexes on my route. I just love delivering the gifts to them from relatives. I always tell them they raised the kids right if they are recieving the Harry and David or Omaha steak stuff. I may be working til 9pm, but what I delivered is the highlight of someones day sometimes.

MAKING a stop a 930 PM to a 90 year old lady and scaring her half to death by knocking on her door in the pitch black... is that positive enough for you.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
There's something positive in nearly every situation.

work late = no traffic on the way home
work xmas eve = sorry, I can't make it to the in-laws
lots of problems and chaos = the trivial things stay trivial
late loads, overloads = IE people go out to help deliver packages and stop making plans
rentals = heat and a radio
helpers = new faces

rod

Retired 22 years
Covering pictures on packages or at least trying to hide them was just part of the job back when. We were instructed to do it by the center manager. My hats off to those who still do it dispite the risk of getting in trouble for screwing up someones numbers. My favorite part of peak was always the 1st day I was assigned a helper. That was usually 7 to 10 days before Christmas. Just knowing you had a scapegoat for any claims coming in while you had a helper was a load off your mind.:happy2:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Ok I have a real one.

Making a stop towards the end of the day on the 24th, mom and dad have giving up on getting JR's present before xmas morning and then there it is the big brown truck outside their home.

Yeah the smile on their face makes me a little happy.

Whatever it is that makes you happy this season Be safe and get home to you family, your kids need you even if they dont think so.

Also food people give me food this month, maybe they think I am santa or just not fat enough whatever it is I like when they feed me.

UPSBluRdg03

I always like watching a customer come do the door well after dark to see who rang or knocked and finding a package sitting there and they yell out "thank you" and wave as I return to the PC. Thats all it takes to make it worth it to me.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I don't personally touch packages, but knowing that you boys and girls are out there being Santa's and involved with the connection of families and friends gives me a good feeling.
I have never given my UPS/FDX/USPS person a gift, but I feel like it this year.