To all cover drivers

Spartan

When you don't drive are you forced to work the local sort night shift? And also does management have the right to force us in to work at night if we don't drive?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When you don't drive are you forced to work the local sort night shift? And also does management have the right to force us in to work at night if we don't drive?

Hello Spartan ... welcome to the Brown Cafe.
Look around while you are here.
Maybe you can find a pack of Trojans to play with. :happy-very:

some1else

Banned
i dont think you can be "forced" to a lower classification... ive seen the option no work or local sort; but havent heard of this

When you are a cover driver you are still technically a Part-timer. What ever your job was before you became a cover you go back to. So if you did Twilight then you have to report back to them. If you did Sunrise then you have to go back to that also. If they are telling you that you have to go to Twilight even though you were a Sunrise guy then NO they can not force you to work Twilight.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When you are a cover driver you are still technically a Part-timer. What ever your job was before you became a cover you go back to. So if you did Twilight then you have to report back to them. If you did Sunrise then you have to go back to that also. If they are telling you that you have to go to Twilight even though you were a Sunrise guy then NO they can not force you to work Twilight.

Maybe in your area, but no way Jose. Supplement will probably dictate the correct answer.

Here in NE, covers are friend/T employees and bid friend/T employees. You can take 8 hours inside or collect unemployment, but there is no going back part-time and you are not P/T.

BURMDPsupe

This sounds like a "reg-temp" employee. In my neck of the woods, a "cover driver" is a full-time package car driver in a center that: did not have enough seniority to get a bid route or a senior driver that wanted to run various routes instead of a bid route.

M-

Where I'm from there are some cover drivers with 15-20 years seniority. More than many of the bid drivers.

brownrodster

Hmmmm. I am a full time driver without a bid route. Thus I am a cover driver. When I get a day of lay off I sit at home and have a wonderful time. Thankful for the opportunity to not work.

Our supplement does not have provisions for laid off FT drivers to displace a PTer and work a part time shift. However, if the pt shifts are shortstaffed they will ask laid off drivers to come in and work.

brownrodster

Where I'm from there are some cover drivers with 15-20 years seniority. More than many of the bid drivers.

It is like that in my center also. That is indeed my plan as well. Once you know a ton of real nice routes why would you want to bid some crappy route??? I have my eye on a couple routes but it'll take me at least 20 years until I can get one of my favorites. Until then I will remain a cover driver. It keeps the job more interesting.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm a cover driver (full-time) and its ok I guess but there is only one or two bid routes that I'd ever want to bid on. I have only had to work inside 4 times since I went full-time.

UPSGUY72

I'm a coverdriver got laid off in January and called back full time in may. Although I could have just taken a full layoff I choose to work preload just to be kept in the loop and still collect.

If you go to work in the morning and they don't have a route they may ask you if you want to work the local sort to make a little money and they probably short handed. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.

Its interesting how cover drivers are full time employees for you guys. In So Cal we will work full time but we can not bid on routes. Our job out here is to cover a route that the driver is either on vacation or out on disability. A lot of cover drivers have been sent back to working in the hub.

filthpig

In Tennessee if you are friend/t you are friend/t. If there is no work for you , you can pull 2 p/t shifts.
Cover drivers are not friend/t. They are considered p/t employees. If there is no work for them, they can pull a hub shift. What really sucks is that they only get paid 25 hrs for vacation. Ours are back working again for the most part.

Overpaid Union Thug

In Tennessee if you are friend/t you are friend/t. If there is no work for you , you can pull 2 p/t shifts.
Cover drivers are not friend/t. They are considered p/t employees. If there is no work for them, they can pull a hub shift. What really sucks is that they only get paid 25 hrs for vacation. Ours are back working again for the most part.

I'm in Tennessee. Part-time covers drivers are called TCDs (Temporary Cover Driver). They get 20 hours of vacation based on them being part-timer but if they have enough reports as a TCD then they qualify for full-time vaction hours. That happened to me. We haven't been using TCDs much this year due to IE cutting routes when they don't even need to be cut. The recession barely touched us here. If at all. I haven't had to pull double shifts yet so if this is how things are going to be during a recession around here then I'm thinking I'm in a good location. :)