To all Sorters / Pick-offs.. What does your flow look like everyday?

JDMC1212

ya its about the same where im at, not to mention that they only try to use 2 pick offs because "were under staffed" so i make sure to bump the belt a couple more times when a sup comes up and ask why i have the belt off and all you see is a sea of boxes. just another day at UPS...

evilleace

What the heck are you mad about? The whole idea behind supervisors not doing bargaining unit work is so they do not take work, and really, pay, from a union member. If he has a union member right there with him being paid to watch, who the heck is he taking pay from?

The point is that he ran down to the unload ran through a trailer working unsafely and not following the methods just so his numbers would look good and he could send people home after 3 1/2 all while saying that he was "training" that is what I am mad about.

jennie

The point is that he ran down to the unload ran through a trailer working unsafely and not following the methods just so his numbers would look good and he could send people home after 3 1/2 all while saying that he was "training" that is what I am mad about.

I have heard which I do also see, is that a lot of employees do not show up for work, just because??? Anyway I heard that when they are down people, on pre load anyway. Sups are told by management to pick up the slack, is this true? and allowed? Me I gotta say if people don't show up, guess who suffers US, the co-worker!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys just wanted to see if you guys were getting utterly destroyed like we are every night... I understand they are pushing less hours / more work but this is ridiculous! This is what our flow has looked like for the past 2 months. Sorry for the bad pic.. its my cell phone.. but you should be able to get the idea (stacked way high and belt wide all night)

Image026.jpg

So naturally we are going to be shutting off the belt more and more but they don't seem to grasp that concept. Then, to top that off, just yesterday they had the nerve to make me load while a lower seniority employee sorted because it was "single handedly my fault" our flow has been like that because I'm going to "slow." I have talked to the union guy but who knows how long that will take to get resolved. Anyone else feel my pain / have any advice? I have tried to tell them its simply too much flow but they are either idiots or just don't want to admit any wrong doing. :biting::biting:
You just said a mouthful when you said, "....they just don't want to admit any wrongdoing." They absolutely don't want to admit any wrongdoing. If they can get an hourly to take the blame for their own stupid mistakes, the heat is off of them and they can relax. It doesn't matter that the hourly did nothing wrong, that's not the point. They just wanted to get the heat off of themselves. It doesn't just happen to part timers; they do it to drivers as well.

sms4001

With flow like that, I want to see what the service numbers are for your belt. I'm not doubting your abilities, but with that kind of flow, picking it clean is tough to do.

Are you the weak side pick-off and how many destinations are on your belt?

M-

I don't know all of the numbers but we are getting an average of 3:30 to 4:00 hour days (not including mondays) and I think when i asked once it was 7000-12000(monday?) a night. We have three belts in our building.. ours is by far the busiest. we have 7 trailers but only 4 destinations. we have 3 denver trailers an 2 ontario and a cache day and twilight.. really the main thing killing us is that apparently denver hub was complaning we didn't bag enough smalls or something so since our small sort is too small / slammed they decided to change one of our trailers to just load denver smalls so we have to deal with all the smalls on our belt everynight... good thing we have a small sort right? anyone from denver here? you guys hate las vegas trailers? lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
of course. But working as fast as you safely can IS in the contract. working as fast as you safely can is synonymous with "a fair days work". IMHO.

There is nothing in the contract that mentions speed. A fair days work for a fair days pay implies THE AMOUNT OF WORK GIVEN/PROVIDED, not the amount of work accomplished or the speed which it is done. At least thats how my mind wraps around the idea. I'm sure it is not MEANT to be that way, but I like to see it that way. And that is probably how it should be interpeted. =)

jennie

There is nothing in the contract that mentions speed. A fair days work for a fair days pay implies THE AMOUNT OF WORK GIVEN/PROVIDED, not the amount of work accomplished or the speed which it is done. At least thats how my mind wraps around the idea. I'm sure it is not MEANT to be that way, but I like to see it that way. And that is probably how it should be interpeted. =)

Yes thats true, but we all know they want speed, and of course it better be accurate sorting and scanning. Today was horrible, we were down two people and I just worked the way I always do, and they say stuff at 8:15!

All of who were there, worked fast and kept a good flow. I don't think they truly want one person to do a two person job? Its just sometimes impossible on the heavy days.:knockedout:

evilleace

They want everyone to do two peoples jobs and the problem is most of the employees will kill themselves if we are understaffed so then we end up staying understaffed. The same sup was pulling the same crap again today except the union employee was working with him is this still training? If not it is about grievance time on this one.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They want everyone to do two peoples jobs and the problem is most of the employees will kill themselves if we are understaffed so then we end up staying understaffed. The same sup was pulling the same crap again today except the union employee was working with him is this still training? If not it is about grievance time on this one.

If the union employee is working, file a grievance, or at least contact a union rep to have a talk with the friend/T sup. I usually just make a quick phone call and one of them break it up ( sup working)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes thats true, but we all know they want speed, and of course it better be accurate sorting and scanning. Today was horrible, we were down two people and I just worked the way I always do, and they say stuff at 8:15!

All of who were there, worked fast and kept a good flow. I don't think they truly want one person to do a two person job? Its just sometimes impossible on the heavy days.:knockedout:

Nothing is ever good enough at UPS. You should know by now. =)

upser_J

the flow has been pretty decent in CHEMMA... same ridiculous management ideals: push the flow out as hard as you can, get everyone off the clock as soon as you can, and run with as few people as possible.Mostly the end result is the packages getting crumpled that go down the ride (pickoff lingo for the load at the end of the belt) due to the sheer volume of packages in the limited amount of time. Almost ridiculous, some nights it looks like peak. The thing that really bugs me is that UPS doesn't realize that now during the recession and all if we go and mess up peoples packages, they;re gonna ship other ways. And when people start buying stuff again and companies buy stuff, they're not gonna use the company that destroyed their stuff. During a recession, customer retention should be the one of the companies biggest priorities.

upser_J

I have heard which I do also see, is that a lot of employees do not show up for work, just because??? Anyway I heard that when they are down people, on pre load anyway. Sups are told by management to pick up the slack, is this true? and allowed? Me I gotta say if people don't show up, guess who suffers US, the co-worker!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats when they are supposed to call in people from other shifts, or drivers. its in the contract somewhere. They are not supposed to be handling packages except for training, demonstration, or emergencies. People calling out or not showing up is an emergency, it is very easy to call everyone for extra work, there's gotta be someone who would want to work.

jennie

Thats when they are supposed to call in people from other shifts, or drivers. its in the contract somewhere. They are not supposed to be handling packages except for training, demonstration, or emergencies. People calling out or not showing up is an emergency, it is very easy to call everyone for extra work, there's gotta be someone who would want to work.

Thank you for that, didn't know. I never heard of them saying they need to call people, and I don't say anything while they are touching the packages either? Its FRIDAY and glad its the weekend, been a long one.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Over in Spokane twilight, we have just had our asses handed to us because Chicago collapsed their Kennewick, WA loads to us in Spokane. We have one extra Chicago trailer during twilight now. They added more work, we lost some employees to school, and they put a hiring freeze on. Oh well, I guess I'll just get paid.

upser_J

Thank you for that, didn't know. I never heard of them saying they need to call people, and I don't say anything while they are touching the packages either? Its FRIDAY and glad its the weekend, been a long one.
definitely consult a steard about this