To all those who want to vote YES on the proposed contract...

sawdusttv

If you want more than goto college, this is where I compare us to the Auto Workers. $32 to leave a box at a door, or drive a Tractor Trailer is ridiculous! I am more than happy with the raise! When does it get to expensive for UPS to keep the Domestic Package Division? Ask yur center management, or your human resources manager, and asked them how much of a profit they make on 1 ground package? Air package is more profitable. after you find out the answer ask yourself how much longer we will be with UPS.[/quote

Better yet, ask your manager or human resources manager how much longer UPS can afford to pay management personal the amount they are paid for doing little too nothing, not to mention the stocks GIVEN to them that allow them to retire multi-millionaires at age 55. Then come talk to us about being overpaid for the body crippling work that the hourly employee proforms day after day. I don't know about you put my health and body is worth a heck of a lot more the $32 an hour.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
so in central states, if you work for longer than 30 years, lets say 35...will you get more than 3000 a month. Also how about new drivers who will never know central states...their pension contributions will be more now than a upsers 25 years ago, will they also get 3000 an month in the future?

sawdusttv

so in central states, if you work for longer than 30 years, lets say 35...will you get more than 3000 a month. Also how about new drivers who will never know central states...their pension contributions will be more now than a upsers 25 years ago, will they also get 3000 an month in the future?
$3500.00 is the magic number. That is the max. that can be drawn.

$3500.00 is the magic number. That is the max. that can be drawn.

I don't think that is correct Saw. Listen to them explain it in the video. There are 2 types of pensions available to you, one is a service pension ( like the 30 and out ) with a $3500 max. There is also an accrual pension available, and I don't believe that has a limit. However, it IS subject to a .5% per month penalty for every month you retire under age 62. At the time of your retirement, they will figure out the benefit for each and you will be given the pension the higher amount.

sawdusttv

I don't think that is correct Saw. Listen to them explain it in the video. There are 2 types of pensions available to you, one is a service pension ( like the 30 and out ) with a $3500 max. There is also an accrual pension available, and I don't believe that has a limit. However, it IS subject to a .5% per month penalty for every month you retire under age 62. At the time of your retirement, they will figure out the benefit for each and you will be given the pension the higher amount.

You are right, 3500.00 is the cap if you go out on what is called a service pension 20 and out, 25 and out, 30 and out, 35 and out, if you go out based on your age, 62 or 65 there is no cap. I stand corrected after watching the video last night.

I have to admit that after watching the video, the retirement rules don't sound all that bad, grant it, I do believe that we should be getting at least double the 3000.00 mark, which is reason enough to second guess this contract proposal, and that is only dealing with the pension issue. There are many other concessions and discrepancies to be weighed also.

tunemixer

Can somebody explain if I have gained or loss some of my pension? I was thinking of retiring Dec. 31st of this year at age 60. I was given a number of 3542.00 a month for 24 years service. After going over the pension numbers with my union BM we both agreed it would be smart of me to stay at least through June of 2009 and maybe through that peak .The numbers would be aprrox. 4000. a month. Depending on when I left I would be either 61 1/2 or just turn 62 stay through peak of 2009. That would give me just over 26 years service.I haven't seen our BM since all of this contract talk has started and our steward doesn't seem to have the answers. I have tried reading the contract offer that was posted but I can't figure out what it all means. Can anybody clear all of this up for me?

If you're going to get around $4000 for 26 years of service, it certainly doesn't sound like you're in Central States. If not, I doubt you lost any money because I don't think any of the other pensions changed. Keep in mind, however, you're taking advice from somebody on the internet who has absolutely no knowledge of the rules for your plan or even what plan you're in.

I highly recommend calling down to the union hall to verify.... :thumbup1:

Expendable

Just a big Brown skidmark
To vote on how any one issue benefits just yourself is playing into the hands of our would-be masters. We have what we do because we're UNION. We should vote to protect our UNION(not our leadership). Read EVERY change in the language, imagine it's effect in practice, and if it is good, give credit. If it's bad, pay attention to its long-term ramifications. If you don't understand it, maybe THEY like it that way. This contract has a few nominal improvements, but most seem to be just another concession in a long series of concessions. We shouldn't accept half- cent raises or split raises. If we get a $3 raise over 5yrs, don't jack up things so you have 2 chances to take it back, or so you can call it $4! .I am just sick of watching the UNION getting beat at the table, while UPS and the leadership come away with what they want. We struck in '97, and 10yrs later, we cave in to the exact same offer. Don't we look foolish! We don't have to strike right now, so at least we have a free shot at protesting this farce with a united NO!

Damok

Damonk,
Would you care to elaborate?:confused:1

The point of my response was to answer an information deficient post with an equally insufficient post. Trying to foster discussion rather than just coming in and spouting opinions with no basis... I wanted to point out how silly it looks :D

govols019

You smell that?
The reasons to vote No on this contract are all over this website. I'm sorry that you have failed to see them. Repeating them is just redundant.

What I haven't seen is any reason, besides potential volume loss, to vote Yes.

Damok

The reasons to vote No on this contract are all over this website. I'm sorry that you have failed to see them. Repeating them is just redundant.

What I haven't seen is any reason, besides potential volume loss, to vote Yes.

You assume that I haven't seen any good reasons to vote no, you are mistaken. I have also seen several that are solid "yes's" but I guess repeating them would be redundant?

#1angelfan

You assume that I haven't seen any good reasons to vote no, you are mistaken. I have also seen several that are solid "yes's" but I guess repeating them would be redundant?
you must be full time. if you are a driver, do you like to have a loader ? because if you let this contract pass with the starting rate stuck at 8.50. you probably won't get any new people in the future. here in california, minimum wage goes up to 8.00 on 1/1/08. i don't think people will work for close to under minimum wage busting there butts. we have a problem keeping people already.