To all Veteran drivers

gotmike88

Hi guys,
this is my first post here. I have been a midnight sorter for 8 years and just took a full time driving gig at a different hub and I'm almost done with my training, yet I feel like I still have so much to learn. The fact that In my 8 years of being a sorter I have had very little experience being around package cars and i am still in the dark about how they are loaded and organized. one of the students in my training class had an accident and the ordeal cut into a lot of my valuable class time.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer me advice on the best way to make a good impression on my center when I get there or perhaps share any wisdom that I should know about in general.
I hear it's pretty tough to make it through those 40 days so any insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
Mike

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, I would hardly call myself a veteran driver (full time for 3+years).

The first 30 days (maybe its 40 where you are?) aren't THAT bad. No accidents, or major service issues and you'll be fine there. The trucks are organized by shelf/section. When you get EDD in the diad in the morning it will have the list of all your stops for the day. It will also have a corresponding number telling you (in theory) where each certain package is located on the shelf of the truck. Once you start driving you will more than likely communicate with your loader who would tell you anywhere other than the correct spot that he loaded large packages OR bulk stops.

Take it easy, don't run, don't worry about "numbers"

You have one mouth and two ears. Use them in that ratio.

Be smooth, not fast. Fast will cause you to make mistakes. The time you waste correcting them will end up making you slower (worse numbers on the report) than if you go a bit slower and be smooth during the day and do everything correctly the first time.

P.s. package car is hell anymore and will never get any better in the foreseeable future. Put you name on the feeder bid sheet as soon as eligible.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
One pkg at a time Mike !! Don't panic and get overwhelmed !!! It takes a good year to get it all down and several years to learn all the little tricks of the trade ... Memorize key stops and pick ups,,memorize the houses that get stuff every day and the surrounding house #s will get easier to know. Do NOT CUT CORNERS to make thier #'s,this puts safety in jeapody and is no good for any one !! If you make a mistake,be honest with them,they know you are new.
Show up on time every day and ask senior guys for help and advice,we were all new at one time and know its a big bite to digest . watch out for overly friendly banter with the consignee,work and talk. If you spend 2 mins chatting with 15 people a day,you lost a 1/2 hour of valuble time. You will do fine out there just DON"T PANIC !! Good luck !!

gotmike88

to name some specifics, I'm not very good at backing or docking. you think if I told a sup that they would give me practice time, or would I be making a bad impression for myself?

I know it usually varies from sup to sup how they treat employees. but in your general experience, would you say they are more willing to work with people who ask for help, or more willing to say that they are busy, or uncooperative?

old levi's

blank space

Be smooth, not fast. Fast will cause you to make mistakes. The time you waste correcting them will end up making you slower (worse numbers on the report) than if you go a bit slower and be smooth during the day and do everything correctly the first time.

P.s. package car is hell anymore and will never get any better in the foreseeable future. Put you name on the feeder bid sheet as soon as eligible.

Excellent advice!!! Don't be over whelmed by the appearance of the cargo area at the start ofriend the day. One stop at a time, clear out a section, and move on. Your primary focus should be on driving safely and working safely! Thousands of others have been through this and made it. You will too. Good luck.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I would pass on telling your sup's that you're not good at backing. It will take some getting used to, but after a few tries you will be a seasoned pro at backing and dock stops, like you've been doing it for years

Johney

Some great advice from here for you to follow. To be honest I don't know how new guys retain all the info needed to do this job safely and productively. I've been doing this a long time and I've had the time over the years to learn everything that they add to this job bit by bit. How in the heck do they really expect someone to get it all down in 30 days? Even a year for that matter. I still talk with drivers who have been driving for 5 years or so and some didn't know how to put in a over 70 in the DIAD or that they even had to. Small things like that.

UPSGUY72

Covemaster and Cachsux gave some excellent advise. I would add sort your next 10 to 30 stops depending on your shelve space. Don't work by the hunt and peck method. You might spend 2 minutes sorting those stops but you will same a lot more than that delivering them as you only have to reach in and grab the next package instead of wasting time looking for it.

You will learn things as you go to make thing faster and easier. Like number breaks, street to avoid and delivery locations for starter. Don't worry about trying to learn everything because there are driver that have been driving for 20 plus years and still learn new things.

Leftinbuilding

Be smooth, not fast.
Fast will cause you to make mistakes. The time you waste correcting them will end up making you slower (worse numbers on the report) than if you go a bit slower and be smooth during the day and do everything correctly the first tim

See my signature....it was my motto for 35 plus years.

BigBrown3605

If you can, arrive at work 30 minutes early. Go through, touch and look at your packages on floor 1,2,3 and 4.

Organize and arrange your NDA to your liking. If you have an envelope or small package assign to the rear floors, move them or tell your loader to move them to the front so you don't have go through the back doors on those stops.

Personally, when I'm done with my first four shelves, I will organize my truck for the rest of the day, no matter how long it takes me.

On saving time:
On bulk COD stops, write down the amount owed and give to customer. While they are writing check, you are getting thier shipment. If you have a very heavy COD package, scan package, go inside buisness and ask if they have money. If they don't, you don't have carry or dolley that package to your truck.

Get maps of your apt complexes and know where the offices are located.

Good luck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you can, arrive at work 30 minutes early. Go through, touch and look at your packages on floor 1,2,3 and 4.

Organize and arrange your NDA to your liking. If you have an envelope or small package assign to the rear floors, move them or tell your loader to move them to the front so you don't have go through the back doors on those stops.

Personally, when I'm done with my first four shelves, I will organize my truck for the rest of the day, no matter how long it takes me.

On saving time:
On bulk COD stops, write down the amount owed and give to customer. While they are writing check, you are getting thier shipment. If you have a very heavy COD package, scan package, go inside buisness and ask if they have money. If they don't, you don't have carry or dolley that package to your truck.

Get maps of your apt complexes and know where the offices are located.

Good luck.

Working off the clock?