To all Veteran drivers

kingOFchester

Where in this post did I say that the King of Chester should go on his own personal crusade??

Where in here did I say YOU should file a grivence.

all I am suggesting is that YOU follow the contract. Just because you don't have the stones to file a grivence doesn't mean you can't be a trend setter and do the right things. Ninty five percent of the driver in my center won't file a grivence and I still respect them. It's the jerks who make all the excused why they can't do the right things that makes me sick. If we were back in the good old days real men like our grandfathers just did what was right and didn't give all these excuses. That's why we won world war II and don't speak German & Japeness. Excuses are like buttholes everybody has one.

Too tired to go a few rounds with you.....but you did insinuate that filing grievances would fix the problem. Your quote here: "When you file on them working under article 17 & get paid the management team fixes the problem real quick." The logical assumption here (when taken in context of our conversation) is that if I file, that would fix the problem. To which I argue is an incorrect assumption. I responded to your post with, what I thought, was respectful dialogue. In return you want to disgrace the thread by speculating how big my stones are, or lack of stones, in regards to my career. Posting a discourteous response does not help strengthen your wisdom. Being rude usually weakens ones argument. I tried to have an intelligent discussion with you, but obviously we seem to have hit a wall. Further more, comparing shlepping cardboard to Prussian militarism, Adolf Hitler and appeasement is demoralizing at best!

Have a good night my brother!

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with playing the game. Working off the clock is not playing the game it's making a personal decision to manipulate your time card and it makes other who don't work off the clock look bad. I understand it's hard to come up through the ranks. I came up through these same ranks and know the trials and tribulations but doing this job by the book is the only thing that's going to get you to make it at this new ups. I've never heard of other drivers or management who don't respect someone who does it right to the T.

My center is a bonus center & I don't tolerate loading your truck in the am. It just doesn't happen. When you file on them working under article 17 & get paid the management team fixes the problem real quick.

Well, you have not been to my center. Yes, I could and probably should follow the contract. I will give you that. But, suggesting that I file on other drivers for working off the clock is not reasonable. This issue has little to do with rising threw the ranks. Here is what I see daily:

Part time sups loading trucks, even entire dumps on EVERY slide.... day in day out. Several drivers getting in 3 hours before start time. Yes, three hours EVERY day. No exaggeration what so ever. 75% of the drivers going threw their loads at least 30 minutes before start time. Loaders being sent home before their 3.5 guarantee. Sups making deliveries and having their boards merged with union drivers board. Drivers coming in and being sent home do to not having work and not getting their 8. Drivers punching out while still on road to be under 9.5 (they do this because they are making 11+ hours of bonus AND THIS I WOULD NEVER EVER DO) I could go on and on. With all do respect, you have no clue how it is in my center. Again, I agree I could and should follow the contract......but suggesting that I file for violations is not practical in my center. I alone can not change the environment of where I work.

Let me ask you, what would happen if I, one of the lowest drivers on the line up, went to my management team with grievence's in regards to the greater portion of drivers for working off the clock? Would management not have it in their best interest to target me? Would the drivers not have it in their best interest to retaliate against me? Again, this is the game that I play in. please try to understand that my center is probably WAY different then yours.

Too tired to go a few rounds with you.....but you did insinuate that filing grievances would fix the problem. Your quote here: "When you file on them working under article 17 & get paid the management team fixes the problem real quick." The logical assumption here (when taken in context of our conversation) is that if I file, that would fix the problem. To which I argue is an incorrect assumption. I responded to your post with, what I thought, was respectful dialogue. In return you want to disgrace the thread by speculating how big my stones are in regards to my career. Posting a discourteous response does not help strengthen your wisdom. Being rude usually weakens ones argument. I tried to have an intelligent discussion with you, but obviously we seem to have hit a wall. Further more, comparing shlepping cardboard to The Prussian militarism, Adolf Hitler and appeasement is demoralizing at best!

Have a good night my brother!
I disagree with disgracing this thread. It's a thread and if I disrespected you with the stones comment I apologize. It's just that I've had stones since day one on the job. Thisis because I am a method man. I will do the job no matter how long it takes. I'm a ups driver and I'm not entitled to go home because I deserve bankers hours. I'll never be the father that I want to be making every ball game and recital. But I will sleep like a baby at night because I know I am doing it the right way and when I come in in the morning I will be going into the office with someone else who ass is on the line and I will be ok. You have a good night my brother and I pray your career is a very very very long one my brother.

kingOFchester

Fair enough!! Like I said, I do agree that I should follow the contract as I want the mangmnt to do the same. I was only trying to debate the issue on filing and the consequences thereof....

32F driver

My center is a bonus center & I don't tolerate loading your truck in the am. It just doesn't happen. When you file on them working under article 17 & get paid the management team fixes the problem real quick.
I don't know what a bonus center is, so I must not be working in one. Center mgr. forbids working off the clock & their are plenty of drivers who have nothing better to do than to worry about what somebody else is doing. As far as I am concerned, UPS has more $$ in their bank account than I do, I don't give them free labor.

32F driver

Yep, 3 years is my cutoff. 1 day shy is still fair game. I don't look at post dates, so if something warrants a comment, I'll oblige.

Future

Victory Ride
Hi guys,
this is my first post here. I have been a midnight sorter for 8 years and just took a full time driving gig at a different hub and I'm almost done with my training, yet I feel like I still have so much to learn. The fact that In my 8 years of being a sorter I have had very little experience being around package cars and i am still in the dark about how they are loaded and organized. one of the students in my training class had an accident and the ordeal cut into a lot of my valuable class time.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer me advice on the best way to make a good impression on my center when I get there or perhaps share any wisdom that I should know about in general.
I hear it's pretty tough to make it through those 40 days so any insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
Mike
Do you want to make a good impression for Mgt or your fellow co workers?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
REMEMBER, the numbers CHANGE everyday
You mean the numbers aren't etched in stone?
6a00d8341c730253ef017c366acfd9970b-200wi.jpeg

Surprise, surprise, surprise!