To BeReavement leave or NOT to BeReavement leave

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sometimes you have to take time off after a death to TCB. (take care of business). Financial or otherwise. You are guaranteed 2 days off. 1 more day after the day of the funeral if travel is required. The actual wording is: A regular full time employee shall be guaranteed 2 days off to be taken between the day of death and 2 working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. This is from the old contract, unless they changed the wording in the new one.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Its your right to take time off. Your preference may be to grieve at home. Or take care of estate details. Doesn't matter what you do if a qualifying relative dies.

I think you nailed it. While it was my intent to go back home, I failed to make it there in time. Having the time off did allow me to view the service via video conference and it did allow me time to call other family members to offer my condolences and share conversations /memories about her. I just didn't want this to turn into some BS integrity issue if they pushed the issue.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I wouldn't volunteer that you oovoo'd it. It's not the company's bidness anyway. When my father died, there was no obituary in the paper. Dispatch didn't ask for one.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Had you bothered to read the whole thread, you would have found that I fully supported the OP and told him I was sorry for his loss.

Oh, I read it all. Yes, you expressed your condolences and the berated him for video conferencing.

And, you berated Tooner for not attending her father's service.

You must be really, really lonely. I'm sorry for you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh, I read it all. Yes, you expressed your condolences and the berated him for video conferencing.

And, you berated Tooner for not attending her father's service.

You must be really, really lonely. I'm sorry for you.
I ATTENDED my fathers funeral. I taped it for my brother who could not. ( I didnt tape it I was busy crying) but someone taped it. But he died shortly after my father, so he never saw it. My brother lived In tx, we were in Oh, and Pa, and he didnt have the money for plane fare. It happens. He didnt have money for plane fare when Mom died either, so I sent pics of the flowers, people etc. (before I had a video cam) He had been to see her 1 month before tho, That I was grateful for. And as luck would have it, I went to Amarillo to see him, he died exactly one month later.

I have always been blessed with being able to get where I need to be, take time off for what I need to, and help others when I can. Not everyone can do that. I am lucky.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
99% of the time they take you at your word. Every once in a while they will request documentation, such as an obituary from the paper or a handout from the service itself.
Which I would tell them they could stick up their ass if they were ever disrespectful enough to ask me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Which I would tell them they could stick up their ass if they were ever disrespectful enough to ask me.
This was my first grievance, being paid for my brothers death. Had to fight for it. Oh you will get it in a few weeks. Was the answer. I emailed the obit to an un named sup, he said he never got it. I flew to Amarillo, got home went to work like a good little upser, and then did not get paid. I wasnt strapped, not the point.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What's the sense of taking time off from work if you're not going to pay your respects?
There are different ways of paying one's respects, and a person's feelings and needs surrounding the death of a particular relative may vary. Not everyone wishes to have a "traditional" funeral service when they die (or any service at all for that manner) but that does not change the emotional impact of their passing or the need for their family to take time off and grieve in whatever manner suits them.