To bonus or not to bonus

By The Book

Would getting rid of production bonus help us with these crazy hours? I say if we keep the bonus you should divide it amongst all drivers on road that day. My center manager said one day we are a bonus center and I said we are a center with routes that have bonus. It got a bit quiet after that so I went to work. I don't think it's right some guys get on at 4:00 and bonus by 2 hours, and I punch out at 7:45 or later and scratch.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Bonus" is nothing more than a cash bribe that the company pays to the driver for falsifying his timecard and indicating that he took a lunch and breaks when he did not. In most cases, the "allowances" are rigged so as to be impossible to meet without working off of the clock. "Bonus" is given or taken away solely at the whim of the company, it is entirely arbitrary, and the driver has no recourse or right to appeal if he feels he has been treated unfairly. It is a scam, and there is nothing more pathetic to me than hearing a driver complain because the company changed the "allowance" for his route and took "his bonus" away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do not work in a bonus center so I am not that familiar but I would think that any bonus paid would be offset or not paid at all if the driver recorded a meal break and worked through it.

PT Car Washer

Would getting rid of production bonus help us with these crazy hours? I say if we keep the bonus you should divide it amongst all drivers on road that day. My center manager said one day we are a bonus center and I said we are a center with routes that have bonus. It got a bit quiet after that so I went to work. I don't think it's right some guys get on at 4:00 and bonus by 2 hours, and I punch out at 7:45 or later and scratch.
I asked a center manager about this one day. Noticed some drivers getting back at 4:30 to 5:00 everyday and others getting back at 7:00 or later. His answer was the early back drivers work harder.

MethodsMan

The time allowance thing is funny. I cover 2 routes in an industrial area. Both routes go out with between 400 and 500 pieces daily. Both have at least a dozen over 70's every day. They both get in to the air drop within 15 minutes of each other. One of the routes is consistently an hour under. The other route is a half hour or more, over allowed every day.

Go figure.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I asked a center manager about this one day. Noticed some drivers getting back at 4:30 to 5:00 everyday and others getting back at 7:00 or later. His answer was the early back drivers work harder.

We aren't bonus but we have a few runners who punch out before 5 daily and apparently don't care about the thousands of dollars they piss away every year.

Cementups

Box Monkey
"Bonus" is nothing more than a cash bribe that the company pays to the driver for falsifying his timecard and indicating that he took a lunch and breaks when he did not. In most cases, the "allowances" are rigged so as to be impossible to meet without working off of the clock. "Bonus" is given or taken away solely at the whim of the company, it is entirely arbitrary, and the driver has no recourse or right to appeal if he feels he has been treated unfairly. It is a scam, and there is nothing more pathetic to me than hearing a driver complain because the company changed the "allowance" for his route and took "his bonus" away.

This isn't always true. On my old country route I could take an hour lunch and my 10 minute break and still come in 1.5 hours under. If I focused on just hustling packages and not talking to anyone I had days where I could have punched out by 3:30. Before telematics I had had days where I could take over 2 hours worth of lunch just so I wouldn't get in too early.

9.5er

I'm a cover driver in a bonus center. Some routes I run I can make an hour or more bonus on. Some of them I run scratch. A couple of them I run over allowed every time. I don't worry about the numbers. I just go out and do my job to the best of my abilities.
Keep in mind some routes have early pick ups and some have late drop boxes. My pickups on the route I'm covering have a lot to do with what time I get in.

CHALLY9TX

It's funny how one day I can come in scratch and the next day have a better sporh but get beat by over an hour. Same miles and same stops give or take 2-5. Time allowances are a joke.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Maybe it is a regional thing but in my center there is not one route you can run more than a few clicks under on a good day. The time studies are rigged in their favor for sure.

I'm surprised the lawyers haven't attacked bonus yet. All it would take is one accident that they could blame on bonus.

100% spot on. I love to hear a runner cry about their bonus. I get a gleam in my eye.

Re-Raise

In the 29 years I have been at UPS I have had to memorize countless safety acronyms. and UPS can tell what we are doing at any time with telematics.

Not one time have I ever heard management tell a driver not to speed.

Every driver at my center who chases bonus does it by speeding and management turns a blind eye to it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We aren't bonus but we have a few runners who punch out before 5 daily and apparently don't care about the thousands of dollars they piss away every year.
you dont receive bonus until after 8 hrs so I dont understand your point.

I clearly said "we aren't bonus." I'm talking about the runners who are dispatched 9.2 and then run it so they're done before 8 hours because they "want to get home to their family". You know, because I don't :rolleyes: So instead of following the methods and running scratch or over as most normal people do, the run under and in turn give the company back thousands every year.