To drive or not to drive...that is the question

To drive or not to drive....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

serenity now

I would be looking for more work as an insurance adjuster. I know there are some that specialize in other areas that make more than 48k. You are already in that biz, look to advance there, your body will thank you.

good point * you could easily double your income, by getting a second rubber stamp

stamp.jpg
stamp.jpg

S

serenity now

i wouldn't do it again, but there are a lot of things i wouldn't do again...................

barnyard

KTM rider
I hesitate to post this, as I am worried that others will jump on the bandwagon, but I have laid the groundwork, so there is little that can go wrong.

I am giving notice at UPS and am starting an elephant sanctuary. I will be feeding my retired elephants coffee cherries. My wife is starting a daycare so that we can have a ready pool of labor to pick the digested coffee beans out of the elephant poo.

We will then roast the coffee and sell cups of elephant poo coffee for $500 a cup.

I figure if I sell 3 or 4 cups a week, I'll be doing pretty good.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Isn't it sad that someone can't live off 50K a year.

That would be very difficult in NYC or LA or any other of a number of large metro areas.

Yep this is the key to me depends on where he lives. Also 50K isn't what 50K use to be hell a 6 figure job isn't this amazing thing that pretty much just means your set anymore. We have drivers making over 100k not saying they don't make good money. Just saying its not the be all end all like it once was.

over9five

Staff member
Are you asking if it's possible for you to agree with us or if it is possible for the OP to move up in the insurance field?

Please don't change my posts :happy-very:.
I agree with you guys if it is possible for the OP to move up in the insurance field.

.......I have less than 7 years to fund my 401k and would love to have a balance of at least $200K when I retire (currently at $73K).

How much do you put in, if you don't mind me asking. I recently upped mine from 7 to 10%. I think I'll go to 12 next month.
Nervous about what will happen to the 401k as a result of the fiscal cliff?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How much do you put in, if you don't mind me asking. I recently upped mine from 7 to 10%. I think I'll go to 12 next month.

I have had 35% in regular 401 k for the last 15 or 16 years and 10% in the "Over 50" catch-up for the last 9 years.
I have maxed out for the last 16 years by living tight and using non-taxed deferred savings/investments for emergencies.
My daughter got out of college 17 years ago. :wink2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have had 35% in regular 401 k for the last 15 or 16 years and 10% in the "Over 50" catch-up for the last 9 years.
I have maxed out for the last 16 years by living tight and using non-taxed deferred savings/investments for emergencies.

You saved all that money for retirement and probably won't tap into it. Many just live off the pension and don't touch the 401k.

Brownslave688

You saved all that money for retirement and probably won't tap into it. Many just live off the pension and don't touch the 401k.

My plan is live off the 401K and if by chance I have a pension and SS well that's gonna be play money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

25% as of the first of the year with an additional $100/week to my Edward Jones account. The "fiscal cliff" will have no effect on our 401k's.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's my plan---live off my pension, SS for play money, leave 401k alone until forced to take withdrawals at 70 1/2. (Why is everything with 401k's in 1/2 year increments?)

That's my plan---live off my pension, SS for play money, leave 401k alone until forced to take withdrawals at 70 1/2. (Why is everything with 401k's in 1/2 year increments?)

You need to spend a little 401k as incentive for those you'll depend on. Show up at the daughters in a new Caddy and say something along the lines of "I hope there will be some left for you to inherit" and let the butt kissing commence.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I plan to survive on my pension & SS monies , and use the 401k funds to pay for all the new taxes & fees ObummaCare will be creating .

Brownslave688

You need to spend a little 401k as incentive for those you'll depend on. Show up at the daughters in a new Caddy and say something along the lines of "I hope there will be some left for you to inherit" and let the butt kissing commence.

No way that's your money spend it all. Just have long term care insurance and enough to pay for the funeral.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
To the OP. Go driving so you can someday derail a thread with talk of post-driving retirement plans. I'm sure I will have to audible into a plan different than the one I have now when the time comes. Life has a way of tossing knuckle curves.