To drive or not to drive...that is the question

To drive or not to drive....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Update: I passed my dot & road test today, however driving that old 4 speed package car was like how I would imagine driving a really old tractor trailer (it had no power assist or power steering if any kind--the sup told me I was the power steering).

They told me I start my training/orientatoin the day after tomorrow & then start driving the day after I'm done with training/orientation and gave me a set of browns to take home.

I talked to 2 of my buddies who I used to work inside with and one of them said he started driving full time and when almost out of his 30 days (day after christmas) he was told he was "going back inside" (washed out & sent back to part time). They told him he was overtime on average of 30-45 min per day and he stumbled once on his DOKs and he booked off 1 day due to his son being sick in his 30 days. This scared me because he was always a hard worker inside and he told me he had been working through lunches and hustling but he had a rough route with 400+ packages at 165-175 stops and most of the buildings were 4 story buildings where he had to make multiple trips in & out of the building for each stop. I know every route is different and there is probably a lot I don't know about his personal situation but he's in better physical shape than I am (skinnier) so it was a bit unnerving.

I think I'm going to take the plunge, but nervous.

happybob

Feeders
You are on the verge of a decision you could live to regret and could live to cherrish. The job is hard, the hours are long, the bull.... gets deep, from both your co-workers and management. The pay is top of the hill for truck drivers, the beni's/health insurance and pension, are something you and your family will enjoy. Nobody here can make that choice for you. Your wife sees what the future could be if you take the plunge. You've been in the trenches, working most of the inside jobs and see how hard the company pushes its employees and you stuck around this long. My kids didn't like dad not being at many of thier activities when they were younger, but as adults they are amazed that I stuck it out this long and see the benefits I'm enjoying, now that they are in the working world and can't touch what I have, at least not yet! TAKE THE PLUNGE!