To EDD or not to EDD

tourists24

they are actually doing it pretty smart here for the most part. They are starting to demand 85% trace, but are letting each driver come in and fix his/her route (in detail and on the clock) to what makes the most sense on the drivers part. I can usually hold my route now to around 90-95 percent. The problem comes when they cut routes. It throws a monkey wrench into this situation. When they throw extra stops, it throws your whole day off. Even if you still run your stuff as trace as possible, you may not be able to run the other route's stuff the same way as the regular driver.

brownman15

EDD should be used as a general guide, to be overridden by common sense and area knowledge as necessary.

But...if you are getting harassed or micromanaged over your failure to meet managements impossible expectations....a good way to get them off of your ass is to just shut your brain off and run the route 100% according to EDD. If they had a problem with your production before, they will really be unhappy with what happens when you quit thinking for yourself and do it "their way".

Every so often, running "85% on trace" becomes the flavor of the week again and the sups will start whining at us if we arent generating the metric they need. My response is simple; I will either make the best decisions I can based upon the daily needs of the route and my 16 years of area knowledge, or I will shut my brain down and give them 100% no matter how counterproductive and inefficient that might be. I have neither the time nor the desire to try and calculate the precentage to which I am following EDD on any given day.

I am a driver and my job is to provide the most efficient service that I can to my customers. If I wanted to manipulate irrelevant statistics for a living, I would have gone into management.

took the words out my mouth we were told at one time to be at 96% on trace. that did not last long, on my route alone i put on at least 20 extra miles and had missed business since business is loaded in the 8000 section. the center had so many missed packages it filled up his whole office

DS

Fenderbender
took the words out my mouth we were told at one time to be at 96% on trace. that did not last long, on my route alone i put on at least 20 extra miles and had missed business since business is loaded in the 8000 section. the center had so many missed packages it filled up his whole office
All missed pkgs must be taken to the clerk...his office? jeezuz

brownedout

they are actually doing it pretty smart here for the most part. They are starting to demand 85% trace, but are letting each driver come in and fix his/her route (in detail and on the clock) to what makes the most sense on the drivers part. I can usually hold my route now to around 90-95 percent. The problem comes when they cut routes. It throws a monkey wrench into this situation. When they throw extra stops, it throws your whole day off. Even if you still run your stuff as trace as possible, you may not be able to run the other route's stuff the same way as the regular driver.

Same with us. I have always stated since they started EDD, "I can't control what you put on my truck; But I sure as hell am going to control how it comes off my truck". Uh oh I may have just outed myself. The only advantage to EDD is in knowing the pieces for each stop/address. Now if only all said pieces were actually on the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same with us. I have always stated since they started EDD, "I can't control what you put on my truck; But I sure as hell am going to control how it comes off my truck". Uh oh I may have just outed myself. The only advantage to EDD is in knowing the pieces for each stop/address. Now if only all said pieces were actually on the truck.

EDD offers many more advantages than just piece count. I am a much more efficient driver now that we have EDD. My trace is about 98% as I put the time in when the EDD/PAS team was in our center to ensure that the DOL was set up the way I wanted it. Find BC is a great tool that I use at least 3-4 times each day.

Piece count is a big plus. On Friday I had 58 packages for a stop that normally gets 1-2. The PDS was able to see this and dispatch this work to our EAM driver as this work would not have fit on my PC. This then allowed my preloader to follow PAL rather than load around this bulk stop.

over9five

Staff member
Piece count is a big plus. On Friday I had 58 packages for a stop that normally gets 1-2. The PDS was able to see this and dispatch this work to our EAM driver as this work would not have fit on my PC. This then allowed my preloader to follow PAL rather than load around this bulk stop.

Hope you (or someone) grieved that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hope you (or someone) grieved that.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. We don't have air drivers. Our EAMs are delivered by a driver who starts early. There have been days when I have come in and been asked to start early to run off EAMs. He ran off his EAMs and then ran off the bulk stop.

Nothing to grieve here. Sorry.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
they are actually doing it pretty smart here for the most part. They are starting to demand 85% trace, but are letting each driver come in and fix his/her route (in detail and on the clock) to what makes the most sense on the drivers part.....

Actually, they are doing it pretty stupid.

In typical UPS fashion, they are more concerned about generating a metric than producing a result.

Its fine to have goals, and its understandable that those goals will often be expressed in terms of metrics....but to "demand" a number in this manner is ridiculous.

In the real world of a UPS delivery route, there will always be day-to-day variables that render an arbitrary "percentage on trace" number meaningless.

Those of us who actually do our jobs in that real world have more important things to worry about than whether or not we are generating whatever number some dipstick in a cubicle wants to look at on a report that week.

tourists24

Actually, they are doing it pretty stupid.

In typical UPS fashion, they are more concerned about generating a metric than producing a result.

Its fine to have goals, and its understandable that those goals will often be expressed in terms of metrics....but to "demand" a number in this manner is ridiculous.

In the real world of a UPS delivery route, there will always be day-to-day variables that render an arbitrary "percentage on trace" number meaningless.

Those of us who actually do our jobs in that real world have more important things to worry about than whether or not we are generating whatever number some dipstick in a cubicle wants to look at on a report that week.
I see why you think that is stupid. I agree with the whole post you have; however my point was a little different. I am among a growing list of old time pkg drivers who just dont care nearly as much as I should anymore (for just the reasons you use). I turn the brain off anytime it starts to get ridiculous in our center.

My whole point is that when mgt gets it dictated to them that we must meet 85%, our on cars came to the drivers and said "let's get the routes as accurate as possible." They brought us in on the clock and let us set up our routes street by street. Using my route as an example, I went from 60-70% trace to darn near 95% or better. When they first set things up, they used some set way that had no input from anyone local (not sure how it works). It was disastrous. At least this gives a driver a fighting chance. Of course as soon as things start to work, they do the famous add/cuts. When this happens, I let my sup know how stupid it is and then I head out on the road. At the end of the day I still get paid. My motto seems to be anymore "If they dont care then why should I"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My whole point is that when mgt gets it dictated to them that we must meet 85%, our on cars came to the drivers and said "let's get the routes as accurate as possible." They brought us in on the clock and let us set up our routes street by street.

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of coming in on the clock and working with my management team to improve the area trace. I share their desire for the operation to run as efficiently as possible.

But I refuse to concern myself with whether or not I am meeting some arbitrary percentage point on any given day. My job is to make the best and most cost-effective decisions I that can, according to my experience and knowledge and the multitude of variables that I deal with on a daily basis. If the resulting metric isnt good enough for them.... then I will stop making decisions altogether and do it 100% "their" way.

The job is hard enough without the additional burden of having to placate some number-crunching fool behind a desk. I have more important things to worry about.

pretzel_man

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of coming in on the clock and working with my management team to improve the area trace. I share their desire for the operation to run as efficiently as possible.

But I refuse to concern myself with whether or not I am meeting some arbitrary percentage point on any given day. My job is to make the best and most cost-effective decisions I that can, according to my experience and knowledge and the multitude of variables that I deal with on a daily basis. If the resulting metric isnt good enough for them.... then I will stop making decisions altogether and do it 100% "their" way.

The job is hard enough without the additional burden of having to placate some number-crunching fool behind a desk. I have more important things to worry about.

What you say is absolutely correct.

The general guideline of 85% in trace is also correct. Of course, this doesn't fit for all drivers or territory.

In general, if the trace % is low it is supposed to mean "go look".

It may be a driver who is making poor decision. I could mean a poor trace.

I agree with you that is is not an absolute.

% on trace, Stops per sequence break, number of sequence breaks, etc. are all good things to look at to see the health of the dispatch.

tourists24

What you say is absolutely correct.

The general guideline of 85% in trace is also correct. Of course, this doesn't fit for all drivers or territory.

In general, if the trace % is low it is supposed to mean "go look".

It may be a driver who is making poor decision. I could mean a poor trace.

I agree with you that is is not an absolute.

% on trace, Stops per sequence break, number of sequence breaks, etc. are all good things to look at to see the health of the dispatch.

Question Pretzel... when UPS first comes in to set up originally for EDD to work, how are the routes looped? and why (at least here) is it so wrong? AND...lol..... how should it be corrected from your point of view?

I GOT ONE MORE

Good thread.

So far.

I grasp the capital investment by UPS to improve productivity and ferret out those drivers who are skaters.

How many times have some of you went to help out another driver, only to have them return to the building before you. Or those that are an hour plus overallowed every day.

There ARE slackers amongst us. And UPS should fix that. I work hard and so should the slacker.

When going over the virtual OJS ride with my "soup" ( I'm being kind), I was struck with the fact he never once mentioned how I was underallowed by a minute plus at 9 out of 10 stops, yet only focused on those 1 out of 10 "failures". The largest one was 3 minutes over. The delivery was at a hotel and I had to wait for the front desk to finish with their customer.

Now, do I ever make small talk with a customer? Do I answer questions about UPS or talk about a vacation some one just got back from or a common interest or maybe she's just cute.
YES.
This all falls under the scope of being a driver for United Parcel Service.

How, in the hell, does BD think we generate sales leads? I just don't pull them out of my ?

I have a job to do, that needs to be done. I know that. It gets done.

MANAGEMENT, fix what needs to be fixed, fix what can be fixed. During this spirited chapter in the history of UPS, try not to ruin a 100 year old company that you likely have only participated in for a very short period of your existence here on this marble. Many in management have no idea what it means to move a couple of tons every work day with your hands.

Apologies to those that have and understand.

RustyPMcG

Managers, in every company on Earth, mis-use metrics all the time. "Average" doesn't mean every value has to be better than the goal, but managers are always forgetting what average means.

Yes, results that are below average need to be investigated. But that doesn't mean going and finding the worker involved, and telling them they need to get that number above average. It means finding out why the number is below average, and whether there are improvements that can be made. In this case, a manager might look at whether this is a temporary thing, or if it's consistant. Is it the trace that's laid-out incorrectly? Or could the driver benefit from learning how to make better decisions in the field.

It tells you alot about a manager to watch how he uses the numbers she/he is given. And it tells you a lot about a manager as to whether his/her first assumption is, 1) No assumption, 2) An assumption that the trace needs lots of improvement, or 3) An assumption that the drive isn't doing his/her job right.

In the end, even after all practical changes are made, if the goal is 85% *AVERAGE*, then there will still be routes coming in at less than average, and there is nothing in and of itself wrong with that. The trick is to find a manager who is pragmatic enough to be okay with that, and has the ability to stand-up to his/her manager about it as well. It can be done. There just aren't that many people who are capable of being good managers out there, and that's partly because front-line managers are not trained or mentored well enough, meaning too many unqualified managers moving up the ladder.

If it's any consolation, it's like that in every big company, not just UPS.

brownedout

Now, do I ever make small talk with a customer? Do I answer questions about UPS or talk about a vacation some one just got back from or a common interest or maybe she's just cute.

They would rather we didn't make small talk with the customer, I have been told on numerous occassions by management to have minimal to none. customer contact. Have heard same from fellow drivers. Questions about UPS are to be directed to ups.com or 1-800-PIC-KUPS. Again this is management directed. Now you're seeking advice on above scenarios. Simple, be yourself . I personally find it's relatively easy to have a quick conversation with whoever I want at my commercial stops that lasts no longer than it takes me to walk in, greet, put packages at designated location, get my signature, clarify, say my goodbyes and be on my way. Now if shes cute and someone you might be looking to hook up with; well you're probably going to need some more time. Thats when you pray for a C.O.D or the ever popular OCA needs ASD/SDG. Most importantly, be true to yourself.

bigtoe1111

just look at them cross-eyed and say what is trace? i ran trace day one of pas/edd. drove by one stop
3 times before it was its time. have never even thought of following trace since. well,,,,,,, i did think about it.

I GOT ONE MORE

They would rather we didn't make small talk with the customer, I have been told on numerous occassions by management to have minimal to none. customer contact. Have heard same from fellow drivers. Questions about UPS are to be directed to ups.com or 1-800-PIC-KUPS. Again this is management directed. Now you're seeking advice on above scenarios. Simple, be yourself . I personally find it's relatively easy to have a quick conversation with whoever I want at my commercial stops that lasts no longer than it takes me to walk in, greet, put packages at designated location, get my signature, clarify, say my goodbyes and be on my way. Now if shes cute and someone you might be looking to hook up with; well you're probably going to need some more time. Thats when you pray for a C.O.D or the ever popular OCA needs ASD/SDG. Most importantly, be true to yourself.

LOL

married happily (mostly) for over 20 years, so hookin' up is an option not.

But my wife knows I got a girl at every stop,

she also knows where I stop last.

brownedout

EDD offers many more advantages than just piece count. I am a much more efficient driver now that we have EDD. My trace is about 98% as I put the time in when the EDD/PAS team was in our center to ensure that the DOL was set up the way I wanted it. Find BC is a great tool that I use at least 3-4 times each day.

Upstate, too funny. When I first read this post, I believe Sunday night, and read the part about Find BC, I'm thinking Find Brown Cafe. Yesterday on road one of the times I uesd Find BC, I FINALLY realized ohhh Find Bar Code. Hope this gives you a chuckle as I just read about your funeral leave elsewhere.