To feed(er) or not to feeder?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Hey, better than being an unschooled truck driver.
I have a degree in Chemical Engineering from UW-Madison. For reasons I choose not to get into here decided working in a cubicle was not for me. Started working at UPS while working towards a second degree and never left. No regrets. You might be surprised about how many of us uneducated truck drivers actually have graduated college.

QKRSTKR

To the OP.

Give it a shot. Don't let the hours worry you. You will have more time with your family than you will in package. Here seniority from package dovetails in at annual bid. I'm on nights because of my seniority. But I made headway this year and have a better run.

My new job is planned for 9 hrs. If I want more I can usually get it. I get off work anywhere from 7a.m. Till 845a.m. I sleep right away when I get home and when my daughter gets home from school I'm up and have all afternoon, evening with her till I leave for work.

One thing I did under estimate is sleeping during the day. Sometimes it's still a struggle. I sleep as much as I can during the week, catch up on weekends. I rarely get 8 hrs. More like 6 at most during week. Most guys I talk to who work nights are about the same. 5-6 hrs. 20 minute power naps on meal do work wonders.

I can't even imagine still being in packages. In feeders if you do your job right no one will say a word to you. Have gone many months without talking to my supervisor. Hardly see him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son will have his MBA in Supply Chain on 5/10. He already has a job waiting---$55K to start, with his housing paid for during the 2 year rotational training program, so let's say $67K per year plus a 7.5% performance bonus on his base, which will put him closer to $72K. Dear old Dad only made $68,555 last year. His benefits package rivals ours. It's not just having a degree---I have mine---it's having one in a field with growth potential.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What'dyabringmetoday???

My son will have his MBA in Supply Chain on 5/10. He already has a job waiting---$55K to start, with his housing paid for during the 2 year rotational training program, so let's say $67K per year plus a 7.5% performance bonus on his base, which will put him closer to $72K. Dear old Dad only made $68,555 last year. His benefits package rivals ours. It's not just having a degree---I have mine---it's having one in a field with growth potential.

Sent using BrownCafe App
How much did Dear old Dad "leave on the table" by "helping out"? Lol?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My son is off to UW-Madison this fall for a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Figure it will cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 to complete school up through his Masters.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
which will put him closer to $72K. Dear old Dad only made $68,555 last year. His benefits package rivals ours. It's not just having a degree---I have mine---it's having one in a field with growth potential.

Dear old dad needs to work longer and file 9.5 grievances and get more $$

I made $80k last year and took MANY dead days, so you're doing something wrong

purplesky

Its all about seniority in feeders. 25 years time served is about the sweet spot for most large hubs to get a decent feeder job.

The longer you can survive package car the better the feeders experience will be.

Many Low seniority feeder drivers are not happy campers. Actually seems like many feeder drivers are grumpy?

purplesky

We've had some 22.3's come into feeder due to a lack of PC guys wanting to come in. Their loss.

I think many package car drivers are now realizing that feeders is kind of overrated. So they are just choosing to finish their careers in package.

The hub guys get a pay raise going to feeders? We actually have low senior feeder guys going to package all the time to get more hours and work better hours because their wives are demanding it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We actually have low senior feeder guys going to package all the time to get more hours and work better hours because their wives are demanding it.

My wife can bitch all she wants, but when I am comfortable in the summer and not delivering 300+ stops during peak, I will be easier to deal with, and as such she will love me more (I hope)

I think many package car drivers are now realizing that feeders is kind of overrated. So they are just choosing to finish their careers in package.

The hub guys get a pay raise going to feeders? We actually have low senior feeder guys going to package all the time to get more hours and work better hours because their wives are demanding it.

Most , we hear, don't want to work the hours that rookie feeder drivers do. Coming in they're called "temps" ( even though they're permanent) and get bounced around the clock covering vacations or time periods that mgmt. feels needs more drivers in for the week.

The hub guys either get bumped to starting driver pay or keep their current pay, which ever is greater.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Most , we hear, don't want to work the hours that rookie feeder drivers do. Coming in they're called "temps" ( even though they're permanent) and get bounced around the clock covering vacations or time periods that mgmt. feels needs more drivers in for the week.

I'm not thrilled about that either, but hell, every job will be some sort of compromise.

Griff

No way I would work 12+ hours a day if I had a child and/or a wife. No matter how much money they are paying me. Even if I dont have a family I still wouldnt do it. Thats no life.

Yet you've made it your personal goal on this forum to bash drivers work ethic, job difficulty and pay rates. Ironic or idiotic, something tells me a touch of both.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Griff

Sent using BrownCafe App

Looks like dear old dad is one of the wimps that goes home unpaid when management cuts his route. Nobody makes under 70k a year as veteran FT driver if your goal is to work everyday.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looks like dear old dad is one of the wimps that goes home unpaid when management cuts his route. Nobody makes under 70k a year as veteran FT driver if your goal is to work everyday.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I have not taken a dead day since my divorce (1998).

Sent using BrownCafe App