To give up a secure setting to go casual driving. Help me decide please!!!

bigmistake

I been a part time employee for almost 11 years, Saturday air since 2008.

Additionally, I work a full time which I'm somewhat satisfied with. I work about 65 hours a week.

As I stand, everything is good. I have a good schedule and make decent $$$.

I been offered the opportunity to start casual driving and I am expected at orientation very soon. I'm truly torn about this decision. Should I gamble with a decent situation now for the opportunity to work just 1 job, probably the same amount of hours and pay. The only caveat is a full time vs part time pension.

What factors should I consider. Please sound off.

HardknocksUPSer

I been a part time employee for almost 11 years, Saturday air since 2008.

Additionally, I work a full time which I'm somewhat satisfied with. I work about 65 hours a week.

As I stand, everything is good. I have a good schedule and make decent $$$.

I been offered the opportunity to start casual driving and I am expected at orientation very soon. I'm truly torn about this decision. Should I gamble with a decent situation now for the opportunity to work just 1 job, probably the same amount of hours and pay. The only caveat is a full time vs part time pension.

What factors should I consider. Please sound off.
Kids, wife/girlfriend, job/bills, social life, take your pick and determine how each job effects these aspects of your life, no one can truly choose this for you. You and only you can determine what's best for you. Think long term how each will benefit you and your family.

Box Ox

Don't do it if you mean temp driving and not a full time gig. You might only be called on to drive during peak and particularly heavy vacation weeks over the summer. The latest round of permanent full time driver hires at my center are being laid off 3-4 days a week and they get to work before any temp drivers do. If you're happy with where you're at, don't trade your FT gig for having to drop everything to be on standby for work that might not come very often.

We have about 10 permanent FT drivers that have been working in the hub since January. They keep promising them they all will be driving "next month".

box_beeyotch

Stopped reading there. 11 years in? You should be calling the shots among the part time ranks. You should wait until a permantant full time bid pops up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Agree 100 percent with this. At 3 years in on local sort I was number 3 on the seniority list. With 11 you own the sort bud.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
yeah use your seniority to aquire a better job. Wait for a FT driver gig or a good 22.3 job.
Depends where you are at and local practice. Here, a new FT 22.3 or package car is SOL and ends up with the worst job picks when it's time to bid.. As a casual, they will keep their PT seniority date, unlike going FT.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Don't do it. You will have weeks where they only "need " you 1 or 2 days. Without getting into details , you don't née the stress. Stay where your at. Good luck