To old to start driving?

kyhunter

I am a 7 year part timer that is getting close to a chance to go full time drivng. I have never drove at all and are going on 43. I also do lawn service work and landscaping on my own. My question is at my current age do you think i am to late in years to start the driving gig? Or would i be better off continuing the part time with my other work?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I am a 7 year part timer that is getting close to a chance to go full time drivng. I have never drove at all and are going on 43. I also do lawn service work and landscaping on my own. My question is at my current age do you think i am to late in years to start the driving gig? Or would i be better off continuing the part time with my other work?

Give it a chance, you may like it and / or love it. Perhaps in your other buisness, you could employ one or two people to keep it going. I know a guy here thats been working 11 years and still chooses his lawncare job over driving. He has been given offers to drive quite a few times, always turns them down. Working here only for the medical for him and his son.

Its a hard answer to fulfil, really. And that reamins up to you, really. Driving for UPS can lead you in promise that are never kept. Go to driving school and drive a couple weeks out of the year during peak, and yet never again, unless they need you. Which could mean you will never drive unless dire circumstance. Theres tons of people here driving on weekends and call ins that get one or two days a month.

Overall, its a mixed bag. It sucks, as I see it. What I see is to get trained to drive, and keep working PT. If they ask you to drive, then the answer should be " well, I have to go to my other job ". During peak, when lawncare slows down, should be prime to make an extra buck on their dime.

UPS sucks on time, always has always will.

packageguy

Nobody can answer that but you, are you Physically fit, it's not easy..they make it harder for us.....

raceanoncr

Well, some may correct me if I'm wrong, er, let me re-phrase that...ALL will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're P/T now, you have the option of going back to P/T if you fail driving, right? If so, give it a try.

In my life, I never passed up opportunities. Except for surgeries or other self-inflicted outtages, I've always made more money this year than the previous year. I don't think I could have been satisfied with myself if I hadn't tried whatever came along.

So, to this day, I can honestly say, I've done everything I've always wanted to do.

browniehound

I say you are not too old. 43? go for it. I'm 39 and have 14 years in so at 43 your body should be fresh. Mine is beaten' and hacked to hell. At 43 you can make it to 65 and be in as good as shape as any of of us. Probably better shape. You need to bid a house call route though. Bulk and business stops will kill your back.

IzzyTheNose

This depends entirely on what sort of worker you are.

I doubled with this guy who had been with the company for 16 years, and still couldn't land a combo spot. He was finally offered a driving position last year, and was routinely coming it at 12+ hours a day, and yet, I never saw him without a smile on his face, and he always seemed to be in good spirits.

He's 45.

You won't know if you're capable if you don't test yourself. And don't ever let anyone talk you out of something you want to do. Especially yourself.

Johney

Despite what others have said let me give you a taste of reality. Most likely you will be doing the heaviest routes in your center(check operations report and see if you're able to handle them). You will be the center bitch(help this driver,help that driver). I am 47 been there 25 years and there is NO WAY IN HELL I could handle our centers heaviest route period and I'm in great shape. 1 day maybe....but a week or more....forget it! Think long and hard about your decision. If you do decide to give it a shot,go for it! give it your best and don't screw your fellow drivers or your management team if you decide half way through a day that it's too much. Best of luck to you my friend you will need it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm 38 and do fine. As for being in shape that's not a big deal. I've lost 26 lbs so far in the 4 months I've been driving. First couple of weeks were rough then it was fine.

My buddy started at 53 and he's doing ok too. He has aches and pains but does the job well.

stink219

If your a landscaper I'm sure physically you can handle it. Do you cave to pressure easily? Will the hours work for you? If your answers are No and Yes then go for it. Your not too old.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm 38 and do fine. As for being in shape that's not a big deal. I've lost 26 lbs so far in the 4 months I've been driving. First couple of weeks were rough then it was fine.

My buddy started at 53 and he's doing ok too. He has aches and pains but does the job well.
I started driving when I was in my 20's and I had aches and pains then! Now that I'm going fulltime (who knows when...suppose to be Monday...again...) in my late 30's I can only imagine the aches and pains!

Re-Raise

You have lost 26 pounds in 4 months and you say you are doing fine? Either you were very out of shape when you started this job or it appears to be kicking your ass. On the bright side, at this rate, you will drop 1950 lbs over your 25 year career.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I just made book two weeks ago and I am 42 so the answer is no, your not too old. Work hard and by the methods and you should be able to make book

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You have lost 26 pounds in 4 months and you say you are doing fine? Either you were very out of shape when you started this job or it appears to be kicking your ass. On the bright side, at this rate, you will drop 1950 lbs over your 25 year career.

Yeah I was very overweight from sitting at a desk and still weigh more than I should but I'm still losing and paid under everyday and am not like sucking wind or in pain. That was my point--that the job will get you in shape but if you're not in perfect shape you can still do the job if you are determined.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah I was very overweight from sitting at a desk and still weigh more than I should but I'm still losing and paid under everyday and am not like sucking wind or in pain. That was my point--that the job will get you in shape but if you're not in perfect shape you can still do the job if you are determined.

Four months in and paid under every day! You are making someone very happy!:surprised:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
hell no dont even think about it dude. it aint worth the stress and harassment.the moneys good thats about it dude. if you go driving forget about having a life besides work.get ready for 730 am to 730 pm to 9pm every single day. no life and no freedom at all

Marlin3030hntr

hell no dont even think about it dude. it aint worth the stress and harassment.the moneys good thats about it dude. if you go driving forget about having a life besides work.get ready for 730 am to 730 pm to 9pm every single day. no life and no freedom at all

Wow our start time is 9:10 for drivers and most are in by 730 at the latest maybe during peak 8-830 but wow is all I can say sounds like you hate your job and life
Back to the topic I'm 25 and in good shape so I can't speak to the age factor but its all about perception if you know you can do it, you can do it it's what you make of it we had a driver get into full time at 41 so age doesn't always matter

satellitedriver

I started at age 33 and I am now 60yrs old.
Yes you can do it, if you are willing to do it.

My mini Bio;
110 mile daily commute to the center.
Leave home at 6:45 and get home at 8:30 to 9:00.
When I built/contracted my home at the age of 39, I would work on it until 1:00 to 2:00am.
After my home was built I started a side business doing metal work, on my off hours.
My wife started a stain glass business, while managing a local General Store.
My weekends were filled with installing windows, or installing metal work.
It was 21yrs before I missed one single day of work at UPS, at the age of 54.
I have only "called in" once since then, and I am 60yrs old and still going.

Choose the life you want to live, and pursue that dream.
I wish you the best.

U

uber

I started at age 33 and I am now 60yrs old.
Yes you can do it, if you are willing to do it.

My mini Bio;
110 mile daily commute to the center.
Leave home at 6:45 and get home at 8:30 to 9:00.
When I built/contracted my home at the age of 39, I would work on it until 1:00 to 2:00am.
After my home was built I started a side business doing metal work, on my off hours.
My wife started a stain glass business, while managing a local General Store.
My weekends were filled with installing windows, or installing metal work.
It was 21yrs before I missed one single day of work at UPS, at the age of 54.
I have only "called in" once since then, and I am 60yrs old and still going.

Choose the life you want to live, and pursue that dream.
I wish you the best.

Stick a fork in my eye.