To the idiot.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bulk of the issues seem to be centered in the DFW and NW areas of the country.

We attempted delivery on everything that came in to our center. As to whether there were packages that were supposed to be here that weren't is out of our control but there has been little to no reaction on local social media to our service issues elsewhere.

The "failure" is certainly not nation-wide.

Johney

The bulk of the issues seem to be centered in the DFW and NW areas of the country.

We attempted delivery on everything that came in to our center. As to whether there were packages that were supposed to be here that weren't is out of our control but there has been little to no reaction on local social media to our service issues elsewhere.

Whatever.

40andOut

I am not in the (OR) Division, and I am not in Texas either. In my 30+ years at UPS I have never seen so many service failures throughout peak. Even 3 years ago It would have been inconceivable that a majority of drivers would bring back 10-150 stops every day. In my first 20 years driving, I only once brought back stops as missed....the biggest blizzard in 100 years. The service failures this year were massive and countrywide due to under-staffing. My center manager and division manager have told us this. Without a doubt the worst peak on record. UPS is and has been uniquely positioned to show they can be THE dependable internet delivery company of the future. If they blow this opportunity again over fears of overextending our infrastructure (or pure short-term greed) we may be handing the opportunity to a competitor....not unlike the way we handed FED EX the opportunity to gobble up the air service sector in the 1980s. The future belongs to the brave, not the timid.

How many cars do you put out on a regular non peak day and a peak day?Just curious

HomeDelivery

i agree, i'm in the same regional area... the ground/HD of Fedex were also caught up & all of our cargo was attempted/and or successfully delivered. The browners that i was bumping into all had helpers & they said they've been caught up as well

the Express courier, however, was running around like a chicken with his head cut off... & he told me that he's had it

we shall see Thurs if that's the case...

kingOFchester

Sober,

You can find the "idiot" playing golf if Florida.

Abell usually heads to Florida in January to play golf and decompress after the madness of the holidays. When he returns, the 31-year veteran of the company gathers his lieutenants for a special lemon session, detailing all that could have gone better in the weeks before.

Already he’s taken a small personal step to alleviate his workload, telling his immediate family to go easy on the online shopping. “I tell them that they should do it early,” he said, according to his magazine profile. "Early’s better."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...w-fire-after-christmas-delivery-problems?lite

oldngray

nowhere special
Sober,

You can find the "idiot" playing golf if Florida.

Abell usually heads to Florida in January to play golf and decompress after the madness of the holidays. When he returns, the 31-year veteran of the company gathers his lieutenants for a special lemon session, detailing all that could have gone better in the weeks before.

Already he’s taken a small personal step to alleviate his workload, telling his immediate family to go easy on the online shopping. “I tell them that they should do it early,” he said, according to his magazine profile. "Early’s better."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...w-fire-after-christmas-delivery-problems?lite

He worked so hard this peak he needs a break now ... while everyone else is still working 12 hour days. :runcirclsmiley2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Isn't acceptable mediocrity in and of itself, regardless of standards?
Yes it is ... and that's the way UPS measures everlasting.
Of course, higher standards or goals that are really above acceptable creates a culture where barely meeting one's goals is actually well above mediocrity.
Acceptable at UPS is a bit higher than it would be in most places.

tacken

The failure is company wide each of the last peaks have been getting worse....The company's doing more with exceedingly less to make greater and greater profits came to a head this peak and stupidity and blind greed lost....The company refuses to maintain full-time staffing levels and the union refuses to make them. Peak level routes year round...Now we are going to suffer because this is going to hit us hard...but I am sure CEO will get a big ole bonus....
Well duhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The future belongs to the brave, not the timid.

If you know anything about UPS's culture and history, UPS is not "the brave" and have a long storied history of being "the timid".

UPS is very calculating and, other than "cost containment", very slow to be proactive, innovative or risk takers.
Maybe as more of UPS management comes from the outside and not up through the ranks, this may change.
I can very easily see the BOD selecting the next CEO from outside the company as there is no one on the current management committee than can even remotely be viewed as brave and forward looking. If they are, they are hiding it very well.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you know anything about UPS's culture and history, UPS is not "the brave" and have a long storied history of being "the timid".

UPS is very calculating and, other than "cost containment", very slow to be proactive, innovative or risk takers.
Maybe as more of UPS management comes from the outside and not up through the ranks, this may change.
I can very easily see the BOD selecting the next CEO from outside the company as there is no one on the current management committee than can even remotely be viewed as brave and forward looking. If they are, they are hiding it very well.

Its the corporate play it safe and avoid risks mentality . Its OK to fail from inaction but not to take a stand on an issue and then fail.

slantnosechevy

And you're confident that the BOD has the capability to find someone who is brave and forward looking? When a company like UPS can't find someone from within their ranks who knows this company from the ground up........... well, that sounds like a recipe for it's own demise.