To the idiot.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's for chaffing not itching. If you hadn't worked in an office you'd understand.
I drove for two summers in the Deep South and I have 3 motorcycles with around 130,000 miles.
I understand very well and have used "Anti Monkey Butt" for many years.
I used Gold Bond for many years until I found AMB.
I used baby Powder when I drove. You were probably figuring out your special purpose about that time.

PS - You were the itch

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I cant speak to what went on in other parts of the country.

What I do know...is that the majority of the service failures that occured in my building could have been prevented simply by empowering our local management to make the decisions that needed to be made.

The week prior to Christmas,every driver in the building was working 13-14 hours per day and being forced to chase misloads and waste time dealing with late air. Then came the morning of Friday the 20th....and we were faced with the heaviest volume our building had ever tried to process combined with every single holder of a DOT card having less than 9 hours of legal driving remaining. The resulting tens of thousands of missed packages were simply rolled over into a Monday dispatch that was even heavier, and we could not cope.

Our local management could have dealt with this by doing 2 things; allowing drivers to roll stops all week to conserve hours for Friday, and running a Sunday sort with 30-40 routes to deliver everything that got missed on Friday. This would have allowed us to go into Monday morning clean and with at least a fighting chance of staying that way thru Christmas Eve. Instead....we got absolutely hammered on Monday, brought even more stops back, and when we had late air come in on Christmas Eve there simply was no one available to shuttle it out to the drivers in a timely manner or in many cases at all. We ran out of DOT hours, we ran out of time and we ran out of bodies because the paranoid, metric-obsessed control freaks from Corporate wouldnt let their front line management make a freaking operational decision.

Feeders101

I cant speak to what went on in other parts of the country.

What I do know...is that the majority of the service failures that occured in my building could have been prevented simply by empowering our local management to make the decisions that needed to be made.

The week prior to Christmas,every driver in the building was working 13-14 hours per day and being forced to chase misloads and waste time dealing with late air. Then came the morning of Friday the 20th....and we were faced with the heaviest volume our building had ever tried to process combined with every single holder of a DOT card having less than 9 hours of legal driving remaining. The resulting tens of thousands of missed packages were simply rolled over into a Monday dispatch that was even heavier, and we could not cope.

Our local management could have dealt with this by doing 2 things; allowing drivers to roll stops all week to conserve hours for Friday, and running a Sunday sort with 30-40 routes to deliver everything that got missed on Friday. This would have allowed us to go into Monday morning clean and with at least a fighting chance of staying that way thru Christmas Eve. Instead....we got absolutely hammered on Monday, brought even more stops back, and when we had late air come in on Christmas Eve there simply was no one available to shuttle it out to the drivers in a timely manner or in many cases at all. We ran out of DOT hours, we ran out of time and we ran out of bodies because the paranoid, metric-obsessed control freaks from Corporate wouldnt let their front line management make a freaking operational decision.

I don't know of any drivers that had any DOT hours left by friday to work any hour on the weekends. Maybe there where a few somewhere, not here in Dallas. You have to reset on the weekend.

soberups

I don't know of any drivers that had any DOT hours left by friday to work any hour on the weekends. Maybe there where a few somewhere, not here in Dallas. You have to reset on the weekend.

It takes 34 hours off to reset. A driver who runs out of hours like I did at 5:45 on Friday night can start driving again on Sunday morning. I worked on Sunday, but some idiot from Corporate only allowed my center manager to put 11 routes on the road when there were enough missed stops to run at least 25. The idiot then changed his mind at noon on Sunday and allowed my center manager to call two more drivers in. Might as well have been on the beach trying to hold back the ocean with a bucket.

Feeders101

It takes 34 hours off to reset. A driver who runs out of hours like I did at 5:45 on Friday night can start driving again on Sunday morning. I worked on Sunday, but some idiot from Corporate only allowed my center manager to put 11 routes on the road when there were enough missed stops to run at least 25. The idiot then changed his mind at noon on Sunday and allowed my center manager to call two more drivers in. Might as well have been on the beach trying to hold back the ocean with a bucket.
I'm in feeders and I didn't get off till about 3:00 am Saturday morning. If I was in package at my age and just worked 58 hours, there is know way on god's green earth I am going to work my weekends. Our rest is important also...

Squint

No more work for me!
The 60 hour rule can start on any day. It's 60 hours in ANY given 7 day period. The UPS work week officially starts each Sunday and ends the following Saturday. Just thought I would clear up any misconceptions if there were any.

upscat

If Amazon knew it would never happen, then so should of UPS. And if UPS knew it wouldn't happen then UPS should of released a PR statement stating "we are at capacity, and even though retailers are stating that your purchases will be delivered by Christmas, we will not be able to full fill their promise"

UPS would of looked bad, but not as bad as they look now.

sounds wonderful in theory. we were not at capacity the week before. we were way over the monday of. As we use hindsight to show how much smarter we are then the heads of this company do the thousands of stories like this one count for anything? There is a reason we tell people to ship early. Maybe it was time to remind our customers why they shouldn't wait until the last minute? I dont feel sorry for people that wait until the very last minute then cry because someone else did not save their procrastinating behinds.

http://swtimes.com/news/holiday-shoppers-encouraged-ship-packages-early

Johney

I drove for two summers in the Deep South and I have 3 motorcycles with around 130,000 miles.
I used baby Powder when I drove. You were probably figuring out your special purpose about that time.

PS - You were the itch
Touche!

oldngray

nowhere special

PS - You were the itch

Hoax having a Monkey Butt... TMI? :surrender

soberups

First Peak I didn't work one weekend. I literally had only minutes available when the weekend came.

There is a 34 hour reset on the 60 hour rule, meaning that a driver who runs out of hours on a Friday night could start working again on Sunday morning. How many service failures could have been prevented if operations had been allowed to run on Sunday as needed to get caught up?

8up

i'm retired now, & i chose a bad time to be out in public wearing my baseball cap with the UPS logo on it last week. i had several folks ask me about what happened, i told them "i'm retired, it never happened that way on my watch".

There is a 34 hour reset on the 60 hour rule, meaning that a driver who runs out of hours on a Friday night could start working again on Sunday morning. How many service failures could have been prevented if operations had been allowed to run on Sunday as needed to get caught up?

One could have worked 60/5 and still worked 10 on Saturday under the 70/8 rule.

And, that driver could have worked on Sunday on a "rolling 70" clock until the 70 is exhausted and eventually he is forced to take a day off because of lack of available hours.

Don't ask me to explain that last part exactly. We did it here. It worked to an extent but turned into a complete cluster-friend.