To the ISPs

dvalleyjim

Somebody sounds bitter.
Not bitter, I am a realist. I still work for FedEx as a Home Delivery driver on the East Coast. I am even thinking about contracting again. But I know what the deal is. If you do it long enough you'll find out. Mark this day 07/11/2015 9:29 PM eastern time that dvalleyjim told you this so you will remember when the next thing FedEx does happens to you. This way you won't be blind-sided. Make sure you are debt-free and willing to walk away from this with nothing to lose.

dvalleyjim

Co
Doesn't matter who they work for relations is set up for mediation between u and a manger. He is their to guide and make sure that the manager is conducting legally. If you know your contract and know your doing right and you don't have their support then that's what your MD is for.
It does matter. Contractor relations are employed by FedEx to remind you of what your contract says. Now they may help you in the case of a rogue terminal manager but probably not even then. You really have no recourse except to know your contract.

Crozz

Co

It does matter. Contractor relations are employed by FedEx to remind you of what your contract says. Now they may help you in the case of a rogue terminal manager but probably not even then. You really have no recourse except to know your contract.
Thing is I know my contract and I've been through 5 different mangers. They all come in thinking they can in with bully tactics and soon learn it doesn't work in our terminal. Service, accident free, and adapting to the changes of the Fedex rules. For all the bitch about fedex rules who really caused the rules to change? Answer lawyers because of single van contractors crying that they are employees. Again I signed my contract and I abide by the rules and I don't have as many problems as you guys seem to have. Has their been issue most definitely, but in the end I love what I do.

bbsam

Staff member
Not bitter, I am a realist. I still work for FedEx as a Home Delivery driver on the East Coast. I am even thinking about contracting again. But I know what the deal is. If you do it long enough you'll find out. Mark this day 07/11/2015 9:29 PM eastern time that dvalleyjim told you this so you will remember when the next thing FedEx does happens to you. This way you won't be blind-sided. Make sure you are debt-free and willing to walk away from this with nothing to lose.
21 years next month.

Bounty

Why can other routes(bread, chips, soda) run under there own dot numbers. Try negotiating that you want to run under your own dot#. Try "negotiating" for not wearing uniforms or no truck lettering, see how long you own your own business.

FedGT

Why can other routes(bread, chips, soda) run under there own dot numbers. Try negotiating that you want to run under your own dot#. Try "negotiating" for not wearing uniforms or no truck lettering, see how long you own your own business.

Now this is just getting ridiculous. Uniform and truck badging?? No uniformity, making the operation look like complete idiots, clients never knowing what is going on or if they should even answer the door. Own dot # so we all have to pay liability insurance at ridiculously high rates?? That would all be things I would love to have.......more things to cost drivers time, possibly endanger them, and cost me money.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I have some trucks without lettering. Not a big deal.

bbsam

Staff member
Delivering without the uniform would be a bigger deal.

Have any of you ever taken a moment to look at this from the manager's perspective? You don't think that most managers would prefer the employer/employee relationship?
I'm sure they would like that.. in fact, a lot of bad management stems from treating contractors and their drivers in such a manner. But they don't get to have it both ways if the contractor understands his contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure they would like that.. in fact, a lot of bad management stems from treating contractors and their drivers in such a manner. But they don't get to have it both ways if the contractor understands his contract.

Is it common for a new contractor to sit down with the SM shortly after or even while in the process of buying a route(s) to make sure that both are on the same page?

It will be fine

Delivering without the uniform would be a bigger deal.

Have any of you ever taken a moment to look at this from the manager's perspective? You don't think that most managers would prefer the employer/employee relationship?
That depends a lot on the contractor. The ops manager that goes over my results daily doesn't have to do much about my company. Most days our interaction goes like this.
Me - "Anything from yesterday?"
Ops - "Nope"
Me - "Cool, see you tomorrow"
That's it for a decent percentage of the building's drivers. If there is an issue all he has to do is tell what it is and it gets handled. The managers that have a problem are the ones that want to tell me how to do things. They don't last long.

bbsam

Staff member
Is it common for a new contractor to sit down with the SM shortly after or even while in the process of buying a route(s) to make sure that both are on the same page?
Absolutely. I've actually witnessed part of such a meeting and from what I've seen in the past two sales in six months, it is ALWAYS before the sale is finalized.

bbsam

Staff member
That depends a lot on the contractor. The ops manager that goes over my results daily doesn't have to do much about my company. Most days our interaction goes like this.
Me - "Anything from yesterday?"
Ops - "Nope"
Me - "Cool, see you tomorrow"
That's it for a decent percentage of the building's drivers. If there is an issue all he has to do is tell what it is and it gets handled. The managers that have a problem are the ones that want to tell me how to do things. They don't last long.
It seems like new managers fall into that failing. They come in all fiery to "fix" the company. Usually they overstep a couple times, are verbally set straight by the contractor, then the SM and after that they change their approach.

sadmanhere

well isp already came to new york last year
when they changed how you couldnt break up routes anymore
if that wasnt the biggest hint of all time i dont know what could be

then they stopped giving us hd lettering

the best thing now is to team up with other contractors and form a isp. and everyone does there own route.. no drivers

sadmanhere

it would the equivalent of being a single if you get three guys to divide the work area in three and split the profits in three... this is the best option now.

sadmanhere

can we all just team up and sue? what if everyone in new york sued . im talking every "business" and even get the drivers and helpers too.. what would that look like to a judge?